Jerusalem Third Temple Blueprint

MDalby

Joseph Smith said that the Jerusalem Temple needed to be rebuilt before the appearance of the Lord.

Judah must return,
Jerusalem must be rebuilt, and the temple
, and water come out from under the temple, and the waters of the Dead Sea be healed.
It will take some time to rebuild the walls of the city and the temple
, Etc.; and
all this must be done before the Son of Man will make his appearance
. There will be wars and rumors of wars, signs in the heavens above and on the earth beneath, the sun turned into darkness and the moon to blood, earthquakes in divers places, the seas heaving beyond their bounds; then will appear one grand sign of the Son of Man in heaven. But what will the world do? They will say it is a planet, a comet, etc. But the Son of Man, which will be as the light of the morning cometh out of the east.

(History of the Church 5:337)

There are a couple of options for the blueprints for the third temple: Ezekiel 40-48 and the Temple Scroll from the Essenes in the Dead Sea Scrolls. The Temple Scroll gives detailed instructions for the building of the temple.

I have not been able to find this reference but I was told by a couple of BYU professors that it was the opinion of Hugh Nibley that without a doubt, in his opinion, the blueprint for the building of the third temple would be from the instructions in the Temple Scroll.

Does anyone have a reference for Hugh Nibley's opinion?

Thanks,

MD

The Temple Scroll apparently does contain a description of a temple (Wikipedia: Temple Scroll).

I am not sure if The Temple Institute used the scroll in their blueprints. They seem to be one of the more serious organizations engaged in working towards rebuilding the third temple. Some priestly items have been made. They claim to know the location of the ark. Whatever the case, they are still active and moving along.

The Temple Scroll apparently does contain a description of a temple (Wikipedia: Temple Scroll).

I am not sure if The Temple Institute used the scroll in their blueprints. They seem to be one of the more serious organizations engaged in working towards rebuilding the third temple. Some priestly items have been made. They claim to know the location of the ark. Whatever the case, they are still active and moving along.

I was in Jerusalem for a couple weeks this past June/July and visited an archaeologist working under the Western Wall and stood where excavations under the Temple Mount were halted. The Israelis would have no problem excavating to find the Ark if they were so inclined and I'm not sure they aren't; I was told that there are 5 teams of archaeologists working in the area at any given time. The work of the Institute is commendable and the articles of worship for use in the future temple are quite impressive but it's hard to imagine a scenario under which the Dome of the Rock is removed and a temple constructed.
I was in Jerusalem for a couple weeks this past June/July and visited an archaeologist working under the Western Wall and stood where excavations under the Temple Mount were halted. The Israelis would have no problem excavating to find the Ark if they were so inclined and I'm not sure they aren't; I was told that there are 5 teams of archaeologists working in the area at any given time.
They seem to be so inclined.
This location is recorded in our sources, and today, there are those who know exactly where this chamber is. And we know that the ark is still there, undisturbed, and waiting for the day when it will be revealed. An attempt was made some few years ago to excavate towards the direction of this chamber. This resulted in widespread Moslem unrest and rioting. They stand a great deal to lose if the Ark is revealed - for it will prove to the whole world that there really was a Holy Temple, and thus, that the Jews really do have a claim to the Temple Mount. (The official position of the Islamic Wakf, the body that governs over the Temple Mount, is that there never was a Holy Temple, and that the Jews have no rights whatsoever to the place). Temple Institute: Ark of the Covenant
The work of the Institute is commendable and the articles of worship for use in the future temple are quite impressive but it's hard to imagine a scenario under which the Dome of the Rock is removed and a temple constructed.
Does seem unlikely. The official response:
The rebuilding of the Holy Temple: In our time?

The reality of the Jewish experience means that the Temple will be rebuilt. Many people who visit the Temple Institute are incredulous and cannot help but exclaim: "Do you really think that you will live to see the Holy Temple rebuilt?" The answer to that question is of little importance. Let us rather recall that Jewish history has a trajectory, which began when the patriarch Abraham smashed his father's idols. That trajectory has spanned the millennia, and it is obvious that we are rapidly approaching climactic times, in which the Holy Temple will once again become the focal point for mankind's spiritual focus. Whether this transpires in our generation or not, we can still choose to be active participants, and not simply spectators, in G-d's bold plan for the Redemption of Israel and all humanity. Temple Institute: Statement of Principles

Of course, we Latter-day Saints have our own diverse and varied opinions on the timeline and such, but I find their statement a fairly good and comprehensive one.
I was in Jerusalem for a couple weeks this past June/July and visited an archaeologist working under the Western Wall and stood where excavations under the Temple Mount were halted. The Israelis would have no problem excavating to find the Ark if they were so inclined and I'm not sure they aren't; I was told that there are 5 teams of archaeologists working in the area at any given time. The work of the Institute is commendable and the articles of worship for use in the future temple are quite impressive but it's hard to imagine a scenario under which the Dome of the Rock is removed and a temple constructed.

Imagine an earthquake. The Israelis could say, "God did it."

but it's hard to imagine a scenario under which the Dome of the Rock is removed and a temple constructed.
That is what many of us believed about the Iron Curtain and the Berlin Wall during the cold war. Then one morning we woke up and both came down.

I am reminded in thinking about this about a talk Bruce McConkie gave back in the height of the Cold War and bomb shelters and bomb drills and genuine fear of nuclear war. He said something to the effect that if the power of the Priesthood could create worlds, then the power of the Priesthood could stay the fall of nuclear weapons.

We will wake up one morning and the Dome of the Rock will be gone.

What are their plans for priests?
Great question. I don't know. The Kohanim will indeed be needed. From what quick internet perusal I did nobody has confirmable claim to the lineage (albeit, I have previously heard a third hand account of a person who's patriarchal blessing identified him as Kohen, not that the rabbis would care). I put forth two speculations:
  • a genealogical breakthrough will occur, probably at LDS hands
  • they'll continue to rely on the relatively recent assertion of the priest gene

Oh, they still need a suitable red cow.

The plans for the temple are in the book of Ezekiel, if I recall correctly. The Temple Scroll is not authorized scripture, and the Jews were at one time using it. Cleon Skousen said he saw a model that someone had put together and that it wasn't right. They were using the Temple Scroll and he told them they should be using the directions in Ezekiel, not the scroll. They listened to him, but who knows whether they were just being polite? No matter how they build it, I suspect the Lord will find a way to do it right.

It would be great seeing that temple built, but the Muslims ain't gonna cotton to it. I suspect that if the temple mount is cleared in a natural disaster, the Muslims won't be able to complain. After all, everything that happens is God's will, or so I'm told. The Jews also will most likely see it as the hand of God.

Since the temple was situated directly above the Dome of the Rock, I can't see how there would be enough room for everyone.

Is it pretty much established that the Cohens have the right of priesthood by lineage? How's that going to work?

Here's my question:

Would the Jews alone building the temple fulfill the prophecy of the temple being rebuilt before the second coming, with it later being converted/dedicated by the priesthood after the second coming, or does the temple being "rebuilt" imply that it would, of necessity, be built and dedicated by the priesthood (The Church)?

I seem to remember that in an interview with Prof. Bill Hamblin Margaret Barker suggested that to meet the "water flowing out from under the temple" requirement the temple would be rebuilt over some creek or stream near the current temple mount; the current temple mount is not the true site of the temple. I think she said the true site for the temple is farther to the West, but I don't recall for sure.

Great question. I don't know. The Kohanim will indeed be needed. From what quick internet perusal I did nobody has confirmable claim to the lineage (albeit, I have previously heard a third hand account of a person who's patriarchal blessing identified him as Kohen, not that the rabbis would care). I put forth two speculations:
  • they'll continue to rely on the relatively recent assertion of the priest gene

I dunno, the Jews of Djerba have agood claim.

I recall watching a video (or maybe I read an article) some time back that the TI had two Kohanim priests fitted for Temple Garments.

Edit:

Recollection not that far off for once...

30 Sivan 5768, 03 July 08 01:05

(IsraelNN.com) Since Monday, the Temple Institute in the Old City of Jerusalem has opened a workshop for the tailoring and production of the Priestly Garments to be used by Kohanim (priests) in the Temple service. Priestly garments have not been worn since the destruction of the Second Temple almost 2000 years ago. Each set has a turban, tunic pants and belt which must be individually tailored at a cost of NIS 2,500 per Kohen. At the inauguration ceremony on Monday, Efrat Chief Rabbi Shlomo Riskin, himself a Kohen, was measured for a set of the garments.

5 Tammuz 5768, 08 July 08 12:39

[...]

Among the Kohanim being measured were Rabbi Nachman Kahane, brother of the late Rabbi Meir Kahane, and Rabbi Shlomo Riskin, Chief Rabbi of Efrat.

Link

I remember that one time an institute teacher that I had suggested that the second coming could happen anytime and I mentioned that the temple needed to be rebuilt first, and he seemed to think that the BYU Jerusalem Center could be it. He mentioned how it was built with temple quality construction standards and is much larger than is needed or used. My understanding regarding why it is so large is that they had planned on making part of it a visitor's center (before they had to promise not to proselyte in order to build it) though. I've also heard that the Independence, MO Visitor's Center is roughly the same size as the temple there was s'posed to be. I'm not sure if that's right as far as the measurements go.

I don't think that the dome of the rock needs to be destroyed in order to build the temple in Jerusalem:

Rev 11:2 But the court which is without the temple leave out, and measure it not; for it is given unto the Gentiles: and the holy city shall they tread under foot forty and two months.

This may mean that the temple will be built near the dome of the rock rather than on the same spot.

I seem to remember that in an interview with Prof. Bill Hamblin Margaret Barker suggested that to meet the "water flowing out from under the temple" requirement the temple would be rebuilt over some creek or stream near the current temple mount; the current temple mount is not the true site of the temple. I think she said the true site for the temple is farther to the West, but I don't recall for sure.
There is no water source on Temple Mount. Water for purification came from pools on the north side in the area of the traditional Pool of Bethesda. I was on Temple Mount a few years ago with a historian who believed that the temple was situated on the north side of the present-day Dome of the Rock. He pointed to a octaganal-shaped paver, quite distinct and different from the other pavement stones on the Mount. He contended that this location was possibly the original location of the threshing floor that David came to purchase (I believe the Bible says the owner gave it to David). If these coordinates are correct then one could imagine (perhaps) temple constructtion further north and, hence. over a water source.
18 And Gad came that day to David, and said unto him, Go up, rear an altar unto the LORD in the threshingfloor of Araunah the Jebusite.
He contended that this location was possibly the original location of the threshing floor that David came to purchase (I believe the Bible says the owner gave it to David).
David bought the site:
22 Then David said to Ornan, Grant me the place of this threshingfloor, that I may build an altar therein unto the LORD: thou shalt grant it me for the full price: that the plague may be stayed from the people.

23 And Ornan said unto David, Take it to thee, and let my lord the king do that which is good in his eyes: lo, I give thee the oxen also for burnt offerings, and the threshing instruments for wood, and the wheat for the meat offering; I give it all.

24 And king David said to Ornan, Nay; but I will verily buy it for the full price: for I will not take that which is thine for the LORD, nor offer burnt offerings without cost. 25 So David gave to Ornan for the place six hundred shekels of gold by weight.

This, coupled with the following, shows that David purchased the Temple site.
1 Then Solomon began to build the house of the LORD at Jerusalem in mount Moriah, where the LORD appeared unto David his father, in the place that David had prepared in the threshingfloor of Ornan the Jebusite.
Of course, it also demonstrates that the old scholars could'nt keep the names straight. After all, how could "Ornan" be the same person as "Araunah"?

Lehi

Would the Jews alone building the temple fulfill the prophecy of the temple being rebuilt before the second coming, with it later being converted/dedicated by the priesthood after the second coming, or does the temple being "rebuilt" imply that it would, of necessity, be built and dedicated by the priesthood (The Church)?

Depends on whom you ask. Richard Draper believes the LDS church will build and dedicate the temple. I believe he's dreaming. Although the church will ultimately have to dedicate it using priesthood already on the Earth, I can't ever conceive of Israel ever turning the building of their temple over to a Christian denomination. I also don't see why the Lord would have to leave detailed instructions on how to build it if we were going to do it. (We could always receive the directions through revelation.)

In fairness to Bro. Draper, though, the two witnesses that will appear and assist in keeping the Antichrist at bay will be Latter-day Saints. It may be that they will assist the Jews in the building of the temple. According to Jewish tradition, temple building will be facilitated in the last days by Messiah ben Joseph, who will precede the coming of the great Messiah ben David, or Christ. This Messiah ben Joseph is also associated with the return of Elijah and the gathering of the Jews to their ancestral homeland. If the two prophets have apostolic priesthood, they will have the necessary keys of authority to dedicate the temple, even if the Jews don't realize it. (The Jews weren't aware of it when Orson Hyde dedicating their land for their return. They just began returning.)

However it happens, the temple will be dedicated and the prophecy will be fulfilled. At the time when the Antichrist comes charging down from the north, the saints will have built up Zion in this hemisphere. This will be after judgments sweep the land, so the U.S. should not be a player when the rest of the nations of the Earth join with Gog and his unholy army.

Just my views....

There is no water source on Temple Mount. Water for purification came from pools on the north side in the area of the traditional Pool of Bethesda. I was on Temple Mount a few years ago with a historian who believed that the temple was situated on the north side of the present-day Dome of the Rock. He pointed to a octaganal-shaped paver, quite distinct and different from the other pavement stones on the Mount. He contended that this location was possibly the original location of the threshing floor that David came to purchase (I believe the Bible says the owner gave it to David). If these coordinates are correct then one could imagine (perhaps) temple constructtion further north and, hence. over a water source.

Interesting. I was in the Dome of the Rock a few years back on a documentary shoot. The Muslims gave us access to the rock, as well as the large cave under the rock. The rock, slab, threshing floor, what ever you call it felt very sacred to me. Not necessarily the rest of the mosque.

The rock is said to be the corner stone (or foundation stone and I know they aren't the same thing) of the world. It is one of the holier sites to Jews.

It is my understanding that the small square cement marker atop the hill at Adam Ohdi Ahman is supposed to mean something similar on this continent.

Now Adam-Ondi-Ahman will be huge. That's one meeting I'd like to see. The valley will be filled with tens of thousands and we're told the church at large won't know about it. Makes me wonder how it's all going to come down.

It is my understanding that the small square cement marker atop the hill at Adam Ohdi Ahman is supposed to mean something similar on this continent.

The cement marker is the marker for the Nephitish altar that Joseph Smith said was on Tower Hill

We pursued our course up the [Grand] river, mostly through timber, for about eighteen miles,
when we arrived at Colonel Lyman Wight's home. He lives at the foot of Tower Hill (a name I gave the place in consequence of the remains of an old Nephite altar or tower that stood there
), where we camped for the Sabbath.

In the afternoon I went up the river about half a mile to Wight's Ferry, accompanied by President Rigdon, and my clerk, George W. Robinson, for the purpose of selecting and laying claim to a city plat near said ferry in Daviess Countyâ?¦
which the brethren called "Spring Hill," but by the mouth of the Lord it was named Adam-ondi-Ahman, because, said he, it is the place where Adam shall come to visit his people, or the Ancient of Days shall sit, as spoken of by Daniel the Prophet.

(Joseph Smith, History of The Church 3:34-35)

http://ftp://ldslastdays.com/altar_3.JPG

http://ftp://ldslastdays.com/altar_2.JPG

http://ftp://ldslastdays.com/altar_1.JPG

Now Adam-Ondi-Ahman will be huge. That's one meeting I'd like to see. The valley will be filled with tens of thousands and we're told the church at large won't know about it. Makes me wonder how it's all going to come down.

My wife has talked to many people over the years (studied Eschatology for MANY years) and many have told her of dreams they have had and discussions with Church people (unofficial settings) that believe the Bishops would contact ward members that are Temple Recommend holders AND have a full years supply (not sure how they would know who they are) and would set a time/date that a truck would show up to pick up limited personal items from the family and the year supply and the move would happen at night. Very little notice would be given and only those asked would be allowed to go.

A number of the people have told her that MANY of the members asked would choose not to go because of family members not invited, friends not invited, having to walk away from their posessions (Babylon), etc.

I have no idea what will actually happen, but if my family was given the chance, we would drop everything and go without thinking about it. That would mean leaving our oldest children behind (they have left the Church). This is something we have thought about a lot and prayed a lot about.

Archived