Did They...

Lee

Had they sailed west they would have hit Africa. Reference - any Atlas.

Exactly right they would have had to sail south for sometime before turning East or West. More to the point did Lehi land on the Atlantic or the Pacific side of the promised land?

sail East or West when Lehi and his family "put forth into the sea"? 1Nephi 18:8

References please. Thank you.

In Mormon's description of the Lamanite and Nephite territories, he describes the land of Lehi's first inheritance as being on the west near the seashore.

Alma 22:28

28 Now, the more idle part of the Lamanites lived in the wilderness, and dwelt in tents; and they were spread through the wilderness on the west, in the land of Nephi; yea, and also on the west of the land of Zarahemla, in the borders by the seashore, and on the west in the land of Nephi, in the place of their fathersâ?? first inheritance, and thus bordering along by the seashore.

If they had sailed east they would have had to travel around the southern tips of both Africa and South America. Both of these areas are fraught with storms during most of the year. By sailing east, they avoided this and also had the opportunity to either follow a shoreline or series of islands where they could restock their water supply and possibly some of their food. We have almost no details about this sea journey.

Larry P

In Mormon's description of the Lamanite and Nephite territories, he describes the land of Lehi's first inheritance as being on the west near the seashore.

If they had sailed east they would have had to travel around the southern tips of both Africa and South America. Both of these areas are frought with storms during most of the year. By sailing east, they avoided this and also had the opportunity to either follow a shoreline or series of islands where they could restock their water supply and possibly some of their food. We have almost no details about this sea journey.

Larry P

Alma 22:28 very good answer thank you.

The western route to the Atlantic side is shorter and they did experence one very bad storm. Also they could have restocked almost any place along the coast of Africa or maybe Madagascar . I don't know that I would like to sail around Cape Horn any time of the year.

1 Nephi 17:1 says they travelled east across land. This was after they had travelled some way down the eastern edge of the Red Sea. I think the general consensus is that they travelled east across the water and ended up somewhere on the west side of Central America. That way they would have not had to travel in cold waters. (Not that temperature is necessarily a factor.)

I personally believe that was what happened.

Larry P. , you have a typo that confuses your statement.

1 Nephi 17:1 says they travelled east across land. This was after they had travelled some way down the eastern edge of the Red Sea. I think the general consensus is that they travelled east across the water and ended up somewhere on the west side of Central America. That way they would have not had to travel in cold waters. (Not that temperature is necessarily a factor.)

I personally believe that was what happened.

Larry P. , you have a typo that confuses your statement.

Thanks, I never could type or spell very well.

Larry P

Archived