This Day in Church History - 3 October

JAHS

Several interesting things happened on October 3 throughout the years:

1806 - Oliver Cowdery was born at Wells, Vermont, on October 3, 1806.

1847 - The first stake in Utah, the Salt Lake stake, is organized.

1875 - U.S. President Ulysses S. Grant arrives in Salt Lake City, becoming the first president to visit Utah.

1881 - Orson Pratt died on October 3 1881 in Salt Lake City. He had married seven wives and fathered forty-five children.

1910 - Emmeline B. Wells is called as the fifth general president of the Relief Society.

1918 - On October 3, 1918 President Joseph F. Smith received his vision about the redemption of the dead, which was added to The Pearl of Great Price and then latter transferred to the Doctrine and Covenants.

1930 - J. Ruben Clark is appointed U.S. ambassador to Mexico.

1956 - President David O. McKay dedicates the Relief Society building.

1974 - On October 3, 1974, all previous seventies units were replaced by quorums in each stake and were designated with the name of the stake, rather than a number.

1974 - Barbara B. Smith is called as the tenth general president of the Relief Society.

1975 - President Spencer W. Kimball organized the First Quorum of the Seventy on October 3, 1975, and called three new General Authorities as members of that quorum, in addition to the seven presidents.

1981 - The Church announces the creation of a network of 500 satellite dishes to be placed outside stake centers outside of Utah.

1982 - Elder Boyd K. Packer anounces the addition of the subtitle "Another Testament of Jesus Christ" to the Book of Mormon.

2015 - Elder Ronald A. Rasband, Elder Gary E. Stevenson and Elder Dale G. Renlund — were named to the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles

Oct. 3, 1955 has great meaning for me... I knelt with my Mom, Step-Dad, and sister around the altar in the Salt Lake temple as we were sealed as an eternal family (I was 14 years old)... we also attended Gen Conf for the first time the next 2 days... we met in the Tabernacle and there was room for practically everyone... it was a warm fall day and we sat on the lawn outside and listened to the speakers, broadcast through a PA system.  That is a cherished memory for me... 

GG