Seriously No Politics ×

Apostasy

On 10/2/2018 at 10:26 AM, ksfisher said:

I guess that depends on what it means to be part of the body of Christ.

Members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints believe that the church is led by apostles and prophets of the Lord Jesus Christ.  Is the body of Christ elsewhere?

Members of the church believe that the priesthood was restored to the earth and that through that priesthood we can enter into covenants with God.  Is the body of Christ elsewhere?

Members of the church believe that modern day prophets and apostles continue to receive revelation necessary to lead the church.  Is the body of Christ elsewhere?

Members of the church believe that in temples and through the power and authority of priesthood ordinances that families can be sealed for eternity.  Is the body of Christ elsewhere?

Is the body of Christ elsewhere?

9 What then? are we better than they? No, in no wise: for we have before proved both Jews and Gentiles, that they are all under sin; 10 As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one: 11 There is none that understandeth, there is none that seeketh after God.

5 Behold, the Lamanites your brethren, whom ye hate because of their filthiness and the cursing which hath come upon their skins, are more righteous than you; for they have not forgotten the commandment of the Lord, which was given unto our father—that they should have save it were one wife, and concubines they should have none, and there should not be whoredoms committed among them. 7 Behold, their husbands love their wives, and their wives love their husbands; and their husbands and their wives love their children; and their unbelief and their hatred towards you is because of the iniquity of their fathers; wherefore, how much better are you than they, in the sight of your great Creator?

11 For there is no respect of persons with God.

34 ¶ Then Peter opened his mouth, and said, Of a truth I perceive that God is no respecter of persons: 35 But in every nation he that feareth him, and worketh righteousness, is accepted with him.

he denieth none that come unto him, black and white, bond and free, male and female; and he remembereth the heathen; and all are alike unto God, both Jew and Gentile.

love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no other commandment greater ...

Edited by changed
43 minutes ago, Palerider said:

Here is what the current lds church teaches...

• "Anyone who accepts Jesus Christ as the Son of God and the Redeemer of the world is a Christian, regardless of differences in theology."

https://www.mormonnewsroom.org/article/authority-in-the-church

I would have to say, if you're a believing Christian doing your best... you're a part of the body of Christ.

You'll have to reconcile the discrepancy between what Christ supposedly told Joseph then and what the church teaches now on your own....if you're able...

I'm not sure where there's a discrepancy.  Accepting Christ would seem to make one Christian.  But there is more to belonging to the church than just accepting Christ.  It's becoming a covenant follower of Jesus Christ, which is done through priesthood administered ordinances.  Churches other than the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints lack the necessary priesthood authority.

30 minutes ago, changed said:

The commandment to love God does come first. 

Also, you've said nothing about the body of Christ, which was the topic of the discussion.

On 10/3/2018 at 8:45 PM, MiserereNobis said:

And me, too. How could you leave me out?! :P 

Sorry!  I was thinking of you, too, and would have included you, but couldn't come up with the spelling of your screenname!  I was in a tearing hurry, trying to get a thousand things done before my flight back to the US (from England, and yes, I'm here/there now, for three weeks), and shouldn't have been messing around on MDDB in any case.  "Rory"'s a lot easier to come up with on a moment's notice, also.

22 hours ago, ksfisher said:

I'm not sure where there's a discrepancy.  Accepting Christ would seem to make one Christian.  But there is more to belonging to the church than just accepting Christ.  It's becoming a covenant follower of Jesus Christ, which is done through priesthood administered ordinances.  Churches other than the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints lack the necessary priesthood authority.

There is more to belonging to Christ than joining a church that claims authority and that salvation only comes through ordinances.

Mark 9:38-40

And John answered him, saying, Master, we saw one casting out devils in thy name, and he followeth not us: and we forbad him, because he followeth not us.

39 But Jesus said, Forbid him not: for there is no man which shall do a miracle in my name, that can lightly speak evil of me.

40 For he that is not against us is on our part.

Sadly, you seek to limit God's power to convert his children to Christ by the power of his Spirit no matter where or who they are. Do you reject the power of the Biblical scriptures to convert one to Christ through the Spirit?

Are you telling us that from approx. 100 a.d. until 1830 there were no true Christians? And that God didn't consider ANY of those millions of people who looked to Christ for salvation to be part of the body of Christ?

What do you suppose it means when Christ says, "For where two or three are gathered in my name, there am I in the midst of them."

That only counts after 1830???!!!

Please.....

Edited by Palerider
Edited for clarification