Seriously No Politics ×

Credibility of "monogamy is the rule and polygamy the exception" statements

woo-sow856

All women who have died are sealed to all their husbands who have died, thus the policy is identical with the dead.

For the living it is standard still for a woman to be sealed to one man, though a man can be sealed to more than one woman.  However he must get a sealing clearance to do so, which didn't used to be required.

Even more interesting to my view, women are being granted exceptions and are being allowed a second sealing while still alive.  It is not common yet, and info is spread by word of mouth, but .I know several people who have been involved in some fashion, as the woman or the bishop who applies for the exception or a close relative or friend.  In all but one case, it was a widow who did not desire to vacate the sealing to her first husband, but wanted to be sealed to her second as well,  In the last case it was a divorced woman with children and this one I can't confirm, so not making a claim this is a definite.

These are interesting to me because with other changes in timing of receiving the endowment over the past decades, treatment of men and women in terms of policies have become closer.  I would not be surprised if the last difference of multiple sealings while living is removed soon.

2 hours ago, The Refiner's Fire said:

Why can a man still be sealed to more than one woman but not a woman to more than one man? Or has this changed? If it is still so, doesn't that implay a specific view of marriage in the afterlife?

There are examples of polyandry in the early LDS Church, notably in some of Joseph Smith’s marriages. 

This is has been noted by some people that dealings were regarded in early church history as as much horizontal as vertical.  In other words, we all of us are one big happy family. 

God will sort this stuff out IMHO.