Substance abuse

poptart

Sooo, going to take advantage of this board and well, the time I had with the LDS church.

Father was a horrible, mean violent drunk and well, some of his habbits were passed on.  I'm no where near as bad as he is, but I have things coming up, besides a career change that will quite likely involve hair strand  tests, I will need to be at my best for quite a while.  Anyone have links to resources for drug and alcohol classes?  I'm not in a bad spot now, it's the fear of me being in a very stressful situation and well, hitting the bottle or worse.  I can't afford for that to happen, it'll ruin me. 

2 hours ago, poptart said:

Sooo, going to take advantage of this board and well, the time I had with the LDS church.

Father was a horrible, mean violent drunk and well, some of his habbits were passed on.  I'm no where near as bad as he is, but I have things coming up, besides a career change that will quite likely involve hair strand  tests, I will need to be at my best for quite a while.  Anyone have links to resources for drug and alcohol classes?  I'm not in a bad spot now, it's the fear of me being in a very stressful situation and well, hitting the bottle or worse.  I can't afford for that to happen, it'll ruin me. 

The LDS church has a great program similar to AA. https://addictionrecovery.lds.org/?lang=eng I tried it out with my alcoholic brother, it was a sweet experience for sure. 

1 hour ago, Tacenda said:

The LDS church has a great program similar to AA. https://addictionrecovery.lds.org/?lang=eng I tried it out with my alcoholic brother, it was a sweet experience for sure. 

I was looking at that earlier, I may look into it.  I'm ok now, it's when stress rears it's ugly head that i'm worried.  I never had a good male role model so I know those same habits are there.  Years ago I did have a drinking problem, i was able to curtail it but it's there.  I know me, I have no issues substituting booze with marijuana and I'm not dumb enough to think it's as harmless as so many people here do.  My father died from COPD, smoking is bad period and that stuff does affect the memory.  Considering i'm going medical i'm going to need as many brain cells as I can get.  That and i'm expected to set an example so I might as well nip this in the bud now.

1 hour ago, poptart said:

I was looking at that earlier, I may look into it.  I'm ok now, it's when stress rears it's ugly head that i'm worried.  I never had a good male role model so I know those same habits are there.  Years ago I did have a drinking problem, i was able to curtail it but it's there.  I know me, I have no issues substituting booze with marijuana and I'm not dumb enough to think it's as harmless as so many people here do.  My father died from COPD, smoking is bad period and that stuff does affect the memory.  Considering i'm going medical i'm going to need as many brain cells as I can get.  That and i'm expected to set an example so I might as well nip this in the bud now.

You got this poptart!

• 4 weeks later...

My Wife and I taught addiction recovery at the jail for three years. It is very hard to overcome drug addiction. One of the women that taught with us had been in the jail several times with her drug addiction. When we met her she had been clean for 9 years. She told us that it was through prayer and turning to God for help that she was able to overcome her addiction. She needed to have a knee replacement and was afraid that the pain meds would cause her to return, but they didn't. She was able to overcome that as well. While we were there we seen a lot of people return. Some people returned soon after they got out. Others were more determined to never come back, but I know it is hard not to return once a person has been in jail. There are restitution fees to bay back and jobs are hard to find once a person has a record. Perhaps 80% of the people in jail are there for drugs and drug related offences. I have had members of my family go to jail because of drugs and one member of my family overdosed and died because of drugs. My advise would be stay completely away from the recreational use of drugs and be careful with prescription painkillers. Take painkillers only as needed. I wouldn't want to be chained to costly drugs including cancer sticks or alcohol. Be strong it is worth it.