Apt scriptures

Rain

I'm in Arizona. Marching band seems to still be growing strong. It's finally cool enough to open the windows and cool off the house. I love hearing the birds in the morning.  

The "tock tock tock" of the marching band beat at 6 something in the morning not so much. And we are a half mile away from the band. 

This year they have a theme from a movie that I really dislike. Both the movie and the major song that comes from it. So I get to hear one refrain from the song over and over again (3 times while writing this, nope now 4). Usually in the middle of my scripture reading.

This morning I complained about it to my daughter when she came in to say goodbye. The next verse I read in my scriptures?

"41 But that ye have patience, and bear with those afflictions, with a firm hope that ye shall one day rest from all your afflictions"

I had to grumble/laugh.

What apt scriptures have come to you. 

Hello Rain...

During the years that I was inactive, I still read my scriptures, prayed, etc... still held my testimony even though I pushed it to the back of my mind... still from time to time the Spirit would tug at me to return to Church but I would not heed the promptings...

One day I was at home alone and was sitting at the table in our lanai with my scriptures (the ones I had had since seminary) resting on the table in front of me as I prayed... I remember beginning my prayer saying.... it's me Father, your wayward daughter...  as I prayed I told Him that I knew I should heed the promptings of the Spirit, knew where Heavenly Father wanted me, knew where I belonged... but, life was so good, particularly with my husband (who was non-LDS) and I didn't want to interrupt things...  As I sat there, I reached up to my scriptures and just randomly flipped the pages... they fell open to a new spot and my eye was drawn to the page, where I had marked in red...

Matt 6:19-21 "Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal: But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal; For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also."

Now I tell you, not only was I greatly surprised, but so very humbled at how swiftly Heavenly Father had answered my prayer... gently but firmly... leaving me no doubt of what I should be about... it would be a number of years before I heeded the Spirit and returned to Church... once I did, I never looked back, and am grateful every day that I had the good sense to grasp hold of the iron rod once again... 

GG