Jump to content
Seriously No Politics ×

Mummy wrapped in Scripture


Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Mummies Wrapped in Scripture (among other things)

This tidbit might be old news to some, but, I found the mummy-wrapping discovery worthwhile: 

Among the various wrappings on one mummy is the oldest New Testament fragment *ever* discovered, dating before 90 AD.

http://www.livescience.com/49489-oldest-known-gospel-mummy-mask.html 

The article clarifies that mummy wrappings could and did include an odd conglomerate of ancient writings, including scripture, personal letters and other sources (even Homer).

Corollary for the Book of Abraham

Earlier claims by critics that what survived the 1871 Chicago fire (common funerary texts) were *the only* portions to ever exist in Joseph's collection - and/or that their content must somehow be representative of the portions that did *not* survive - don't reconcile with this more recent finding - that it was common for a mummy's wrappings to include a diverse sampling of texts. 

(If some want to dispute Book of Abraham provenance, please take it to a separate thread....I'm neither qualified nor interested in debating that aspect of the topic.)

It's rare when I read about Egypt or follow Book of Abraham debates, but I thought someone out there might find value in this tidbit.

Thoughts?

Edited by hagoth7
Posted

While interesting I am pretty sure the Book of Abraham was never reported to come from the mummy's wrappings.

Also, does no one worry about curses anymore? We seem to have thrown caution to the wind.

14-mummy.w529.h529.jpg

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, The Nehor said:

While interesting I am pretty sure the Book of Abraham was never reported to come from the mummy's wrappings.

Apparently a mistaken assumption on my part. 

Emphasizes what I said earlier - that Book of Abraham origins is one Restoration topic that I rarely engage with.

Thanks for the correction. 

Edited by hagoth7
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...