Terran Posted September 29, 2016 Posted September 29, 2016 What is the difference in the Joseph Smith Papers Book of Mormon printer's manuscript volumes and Skousen's Critical Text Project volumes of the same printer's manuscript?
Popular Post Brant Gardner Posted September 29, 2016 Popular Post Posted September 29, 2016 The addition in the Joseph Smith Papers is the photograph of the page. That is really useful. The transcription is a subset of the one in Skousen's Critical Text Project. There was no reason to reinvent the wheel, and they didn't. They did simplify some of the information as having the visual could show some of what Skousen had to describe. Still the original has more data than the newer one, but most readers will find the newer one easier to use and the photograph quite useful. If you are going to spend money on only one, it would be the one from the Joseph Smith papers. If you are into critical work on the text, you might still want both. 6
theplains Posted October 6, 2016 Posted October 6, 2016 On 29/09/2016 at 5:42 PM, Brant Gardner said: The addition in the Joseph Smith Papers is the photograph of the page. That is really useful. According to History of the Church volume 1, Joseph Smith said about his first vision, "Some few days after I had this vision, I happened to be in company with one of the Methodist preachers, who was very active in the before mentioned religious excitement; and, conversing with him on the subject of religion, I took occasion to give him an account of the vision which I had had." Do any LDS or non-LDS sources have a record of the Methodist preacher's recollection of what Smith said to him? Thanks, Jim
Duncan Posted October 6, 2016 Posted October 6, 2016 3 hours ago, theplains said: According to History of the Church volume 1, Joseph Smith said about his first vision, "Some few days after I had this vision, I happened to be in company with one of the Methodist preachers, who was very active in the before mentioned religious excitement; and, conversing with him on the subject of religion, I took occasion to give him an account of the vision which I had had." Do any LDS or non-LDS sources have a record of the Methodist preacher's recollection of what Smith said to him? Thanks, Jim I seem to recall that the preacher's name is known but what he said I have no clue
Recommended Posts