rockpond Posted September 12, 2016 Posted September 12, 2016 Short (20 min) but great podcast with Scott Gordon summarizing the recent FairMormon conference. He gives a nice overview and definitely enticed me into listening to some of the talks which I might have otherwise overlooked. http://blog.fairmormon.org/2016/09/11/2016-fairmormon-conference-review/ He also reiterates his belief in "Big Tent Mormonism" (always nice to hear those terms) and explains that sometimes you have to work your way through Dan Peterson's "sharp wit". In any case, I recommend the podcast. Scott's favorite talks were DCP's "Why I Can't Disbelieve" and Wendy Ulrich's "What I hope we will teach our daughters (and sons) about the priesthood". Anyone want to share their favorites for those of us who are going to go back and listen/read?
Scott Lloyd Posted September 12, 2016 Posted September 12, 2016 17 minutes ago, rockpond said: Short (20 min) but great podcast with Scott Gordon summarizing the recent FairMormon conference. He gives a nice overview and definitely enticed me into listening to some of the talks which I might have otherwise overlooked. http://blog.fairmormon.org/2016/09/11/2016-fairmormon-conference-review/ He also reiterates his belief in "Big Tent Mormonism" (always nice to hear those terms) and explains that sometimes you have to work your way through Dan Peterson's "sharp wit". In any case, I recommend the podcast. Scott's favorite talks were DCP's "Why I Can't Disbelieve" and Wendy Ulrich's "What I hope we will teach our daughters (and sons) about the priesthood". Anyone want to share their favorites for those of us who are going to go back and listen/read? My favorites are the ones I have already published Church News reports about: Dan Peterson's on why he can't manage to disbelieve in the Book of Mormon (and, by the way, I disagree with Scott about having to "work your way through" Dan's sharp wit. I think it is quite humorous, easily grasped and generally delightful). Matt Grow's talk on the Council of Fifty minutes (Nauvoo era), soon to be released as the latest Joseph Smith Papers offering. And Ralph G. Hancock's presentation on "'Love Wins' -- and Charity Loses."
rockpond Posted September 13, 2016 Author Posted September 13, 2016 1 hour ago, Scott Lloyd said: My favorites are the ones I have already published Church News reports about: Dan Peterson's on why he can't manage to disbelieve in the Book of Mormon (and, by the way, I disagree with Scott about having to "work your way through" Dan's sharp wit. I think it is quite humorous, easily grasped and generally delightful). Matt Grow's talk on the Council of Fifty minutes (Nauvoo era), soon to be released as the latest Joseph Smith Papers offering. And Ralph G. Hancock's presentation on "'Love Wins' -- and Charity Loses." I think DCP's humor can come across as caustic to readers (including myself) but I am committed to giving him the benefit of the doubt because you and others who know him personally have stated differently. Hancock's title sounds intriguing!
Scott Lloyd Posted September 13, 2016 Posted September 13, 2016 12 minutes ago, rockpond said: I think DCP's humor can come across as caustic to readers (including myself) but I am committed to giving him the benefit of the doubt because you and others who know him personally have stated differently. Hancock's title sounds intriguing! You mean you missed that rancorous thread about Hancock's talk? Too late. It was shut down already.
morgan.deane Posted September 13, 2016 Posted September 13, 2016 (edited) 3 hours ago, rockpond said: Short (20 min) but great podcast with Scott Gordon summarizing the recent FairMormon conference. He gives a nice overview and definitely enticed me into listening to some of the talks which I might have otherwise overlooked. http://blog.fairmormon.org/2016/09/11/2016-fairmormon-conference-review/ He also reiterates his belief in "Big Tent Mormonism" (always nice to hear those terms) and explains that sometimes you have to work your way through Dan Peterson's "sharp wit". In any case, I recommend the podcast. Scott's favorite talks were DCP's "Why I Can't Disbelieve" and Wendy Ulrich's "What I hope we will teach our daughters (and sons) about the priesthood". Anyone want to share their favorites for those of us who are going to go back and listen/read? I hate podcasts and don't really listen. But I gave it a shot and was pleasantly surprised. I thought it was informative and good. I was very honored by the shout out he gave my presentation. I thought I had some good, innovative ideas and research to present. It got rather annoying to see it and many of the other great but drama-less presentations buried under stupid drama based on a few people's pet arguments and agendas. Edited September 13, 2016 by morgan.deane
Recommended Posts