The Golden Rule Reversed

Rivers

I had this thought recently.  We all know the Golden Rule. Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.  But it seems that we often treat others better than we treat ourselves.  When somebody else makes a mistake we tend to be quick to forgive.  But when we make a mistake ourselves, we often berate ourselves pretty harshly.  We should reverse the Golden Rule and be as quick to forgive ourselves as we do others.  Do unto ourselves as we do unto others. 

Forgiving ourselves is an essential part of repentance.  This is something with which I have a hard time.  If we beat ourselves up over our mistakes too much, it takes down our sense of self-worth.  And when we have low self-worth, we are more prone to doing stupid things.  Its important to keep in mind how precious we are to God and how much He loves us.  So much that He sent the Savior.  So love others and love yourself just as much.

That's my thought of the day.

5 hours ago, Rivers said:

I had this thought recently.  We all know the Golden Rule. Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.  But it seems that we often treat others better than we treat ourselves.  When somebody else makes a mistake we tend to be quick to forgive.  But when we make a mistake ourselves, we often berate ourselves pretty harshly.  We should reverse the Golden Rule and be as quick to forgive ourselves as we do others.  Do unto ourselves as we do unto others. 

Forgiving ourselves is an essential part of repentance.  This is something with which I have a hard time.  If we beat ourselves up over our mistakes too much, it takes down our sense of self-worth.  And when we have low self-worth, we are more prone to doing stupid things.  Its important to keep in mind how precious we are to God and how much He loves us.  So much that He sent the Savior.  So love others and love yourself just as much.

That's my thought of the day.

This is super helpful in my state of mind of late, thank you.  And I'll add self doubt or even self hate, for sure isn't good for anyone.