ALarson Posted August 16, 2017 Posted August 16, 2017 (edited) 9 minutes ago, Danzo said: Yet you tend to look for it only in certain places (from 30 years ago This is still an issue today and another case was just reported recently. I do find it interesting in connection with the thread discussing men not being alone with women (for lunch, to drive together to a meeting and so on) and yet, the leaders feel it's just fine for a Bishop to meet alone with a youth and sometimes discuss topics of a sexual nature. It's a huge contradiction, IMO. and I'm happy to see that many parents are now making sure one of them is present in these interviews or that another leader is there. This works as a protection for the Bishop or church leader conducting the interview as well. The Bishopric I serve with is very open to having one of the parents (or a youth leader) included and we are seeing more and more opting for this. Edited August 16, 2017 by ALarson
ALarson Posted August 16, 2017 Posted August 16, 2017 4 minutes ago, Tacenda said: These are the things I dwell on day after day. Abuse in any system, or anywhere I guess. I wish I could go about my day differently and make like all is good in the world. But the internet, news, personal stories, tell a grown up story and the innocence is taken away. If my post helps anyone, then I won't feel terrible sharing it. A spotlight should be shown on any abuse. We learn what precautions to take and how to protect the victims by learning from what took place. Children especially need extra protection. Don't let someone bully you into remaining silent on this.
Danzo Posted August 16, 2017 Posted August 16, 2017 10 minutes ago, ALarson said: This is still an issue today and another case was just reported recently. Then report on the recent case
Danzo Posted August 16, 2017 Posted August 16, 2017 18 minutes ago, Tacenda said: These are the things I dwell on day after day. Abuse in any system, or anywhere I guess. I wish I could go about my day differently and make like all is good in the world. But the internet, news, personal stories, tell a grown up story and the innocence is taken away. If my post helps anyone, then I won't feel terrible sharing it. Just how would it help them?
ALarson Posted August 16, 2017 Posted August 16, 2017 (edited) 2 minutes ago, Danzo said: Then report on the recent case Do you want all of them or just the one? And you seriously think we should ignore any that weren't "recent"? This of course does not just take place within our church and no one is claiming that. But to ignore the cases that exist is foolish, if we want to know how to take precautions to help avoid any more abuse in the future if possible. Edited August 16, 2017 by ALarson
ALarson Posted August 16, 2017 Posted August 16, 2017 2 minutes ago, Danzo said: Just how would it help them? Good grief. You can't be that uniformed.
Danzo Posted August 16, 2017 Posted August 16, 2017 19 minutes ago, Tacenda said: But the internet, news, personal stories, tell a grown up story and the innocence is taken away. yet the internet and the news do not tell a complete story. There is good in the world as well, it doesn't sell clicks but it is out there and is as real as the bad stories you hear. 10 year old stories about 30 year old events, do take some effort to discover, though. I am very close to a survivor of sexual abuse and believe me, she doesn't feel better when people constantly rehash their terrible experiences. It makes her feel much worse. Especially when there is no point to the story other than to shock the reader on how terrible humans can be. She already knows.
Danzo Posted August 16, 2017 Posted August 16, 2017 2 minutes ago, ALarson said: Good grief. You can't be that uniformed. I am a simple man. Explain it to me. How does reading the story that was linked help?
Danzo Posted August 16, 2017 Posted August 16, 2017 5 minutes ago, ALarson said: And you seriously think we should ignore any that weren't "recent"? we could spend all day reminding ourselves of all of the horrible things that people do to each other. For every bad thing you bring up, I could come up with something worse. At the end of the day we all feel terrible.
Recommended Posts