EllenMaksoud Posted January 1, 2014 Posted January 1, 2014 (edited) Listening to one of his lectures on Youtube. Lecture 01-Book of Mormon-Like Nothing Else. Spent the afternoon listening to his lectures, and reading about him on Wiki. Like everyone else I have ever studied he had his triumphs and pain. My superficial research makes me wish I had known him. What an intellectual giant. One thing does confuse me. At the last of his lecture he quotes Mosiah 4:11-12 and what he says does not match what the verses say. What happened? 11 And again I say unto you as I have said before, that as ye have come to the knowledge of the glory of God, or if ye have known of his goodness and have atasted of his love, and have received a bremission of your sins, which causeth such exceedingly great joy in your souls, even so I would that ye should remember, and always retain in remembrance, the greatness of God, and your own cnothingness, and his dgoodness and long-suffering towards you, unworthy creatures, and humble yourselves even in the depths of ehumility, fcalling on the name of the Lord daily, and standing gsteadfastly in the faith of that which is to come, which was spoken by the mouth of the angel. 12 And behold, I say unto you that if ye do this ye shall always rejoice, and be filled with the alove of God, and always bretain a remission of your sins; and ye shall grow in the cknowledge of the glory of him that created you, or in the knowledge of that which is just and true. Edited January 2, 2014 by EllenMaksoud 1
strappinglad Posted January 2, 2014 Posted January 2, 2014 Can you tell if Bro. Nibley was reading from the scriptures or quoting from memory?
Calm Posted January 2, 2014 Posted January 2, 2014 (edited) He's definitely reading it, but obviously is so familiar with it, he is jumping some parts. He's skipping some parts imo to focus on what he is saying... There is, imo, no significance of his reading than he just wanted to focus on that particular part of the verses. It is at 40 mins, btw, for others who want to check. if ye have known of his (the) goodness and have tasted of his love, and have received a remission of your sins, which causeth such exceedingly great joy in your souls, even so I would that ye should remember, and always retain in remembrance, the greatness of God, and your own nothingness, and his goodness and long-suffering towards you, unworthy creatures, and humble yourselves even in the depths of humility, calling on the name of the Lord daily, and standing steadfastly in the faith of that which is to come, which was spoken by the mouth of the angel. 12 And behold, I say unto you that if ye do this ye shall always rejoice, and be filled with the love of God, and always retain a remission of your sins; and ye shall grow in the knowledge of the glory of him that created you, or in the knowledge of that which is just and true. He speaks very fast, but I think this is what he quotes with the parts he leaves out being struck through. I believe I have this lecture in book form. If it bothers you significantly, Ellen, I can go check and see if the editor says anything about it. Edited January 2, 2014 by calmoriah
EllenMaksoud Posted January 2, 2014 Author Posted January 2, 2014 He's definitely reading it, but obviously is so familiar with it, he is jumping some parts. He's skipping some parts imo to focus on what he is saying... There is, imo, no significance of his reading than he just wanted to focus on that particular part of the verses. It is at 40 mins, btw, for others who want to check. if ye have known of his (the) goodness and have tasted of his love, and have received a remission of your sins, which causeth such exceedingly great joy in your souls, even so I would that ye should remember, and always retain in remembrance, the greatness of God, and your own nothingness, and his goodness and long-suffering towards you, unworthy creatures, and humble yourselves even in the depths of humility, calling on the name of the Lord daily, and standing steadfastly in the faith of that which is to come, which was spoken by the mouth of the angel. 12 And behold, I say unto you that if ye do this ye shall always rejoice, and be filled with the love of God, and always retain a remission of your sins; and ye shall grow in the knowledge of the glory of him that created you, or in the knowledge of that which is just and true. He speaks very fast, but I think this is what he quotes with the parts he leaves out being struck through. I believe I have this lecture in book form. If it bothers you significantly, Ellen, I can go check and see if the editor says anything about it.No, it is clear that this man is greatly admired, and looking at wiki, he has more expertise than 10 men. It is probably just an idiosyncrasy of his.
Duncan Posted January 4, 2014 Posted January 4, 2014 Love Bro. Nibley and I find his writings easier to follow then listening to him
Recommended Posts