Telling Others What They Believe

jkwilliams

mfbukowski posted the following on a different thread:

Yeah, that's what you always say while you complain about others telling you what you believe.   It's not a consistent position John.  You complain about people who do that to you on World Table then do the same thing to others here.  Got any proof texts for me showing what I believe?

I think he's right. He's referring to an exchange I had on TWT in which I objected to a "Christian" lecturing Mormons on why they aren't Christians and what they "really" believe. Maybe I've been doing the same thing here.

None of us can say anything about what anyone else believes, and I have been as guilty as anyone in assuming that my understanding of LDS doctrine is indeed LDS doctrine. Sure, I have experienced a few things that others haven't that have contributed to my understanding of LDS doctrine, but I am not the final arbiter of LDS doctrine. Even if I were, what people believe about the doctrines of the church differs from person to person.

The prophets and apostles, so sustained, speak for the church in matters of doctrine, but if there's one thing I've learned in my advancing years, it's that how people interpret those doctrines is impossible to nail down.

Perhaps it's best for me to simply acknowledge my error and pledge that from now on I'll present whatever I think as my own personal take, though I think it's proper to provide documentation for what I believe.

We're all just groping our way along, anyway, so I must be content with finding my own path and letting others follow one of their choosing and definition.

I think he's right. He's referring to an exchange I had on TWT in which I objected to a "Christian" lecturing Mormons on why they aren't Christians and what they "really" believe. Maybe I've been doing the same thing here.

None of us can say anything about what anyone else believes, and I have been as guilty as anyone in assuming that my understanding of LDS doctrine is indeed LDS doctrine. Sure, I have experienced a few things that others haven't that have contributed to my understanding of LDS doctrine, but I am not the final arbiter of LDS doctrine. Even if I were, what people believe about the doctrines of the church differs from person to person.

The prophets and apostles, so sustained, speak for the church in matters of doctrine, but if there's one thing I've learned in my advancing years, it's that how people interpret those doctrines is impossible to nail down.

Perhaps it's best for me to simply acknowledge my error and pledge that from now on I'll present whatever I think as my own personal take, though I think it's proper to provide documentation for what I believe.

We're all just groping our way along, anyway, so I must be content with finding my own path and letting others follow one of their choosing and definition.

Very gracious and laudable humility, but also minimalist at best and quite nihilistic at worst.

As a practical matter, is it even possible to have a legitimate discussion on a board which is governed by such an atomistic and relativist approach?

Edited by Robert F. Smith

mfbukowski posted the following on a different thread:

I think it is imposible to um "nail down" belief because if we live and breathe it is bound to change almost minute to minute as we gather new information. This lack of "centeredness" can feel really uncomfortable at times, especially as we realize how much others seek to modify, persuade, cajole and manipulate our beliefs.

It is especially difficult right now trying to decide if I am Mormon or Muslim and the only comfort a friend gives is that she admires my dialectic though on the matter.  :)  For now both seems good.

Edited by EllenMaksoud