Mormon Splinter Group Family Story.

EllenMaksoud

In timidly doing my family history, I have been tracing some family rumors down and find that in the 1860's my Mother's side of the family were Mormon. Later my grand parents were apparently part of a splinter group called "Church of Christ", but not related to the present day non Mormon, "Church of Christ". I don't know how to tell if the 1860's family were LDS, Fettingite, or Temple lot, and it does not really seem important at this time.

Knowing what I know now, had my Mother lived, it might have been fairly easy to get her to join the Salt Lake Mormons. Generally tracing my family across America, a Methodist woman in Texas has been quite helpful and has possibly done most of the genealogy on that side of the Family. 

The following is part of my source material, plus conversations with related members here in Portland.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latter_Day_Saint_movement

I hope that members do not find the use of Wiki to be offensive.

Edited by EllenMaksoud

In timidly doing my family history, I have been tracing some family rumors down and find that in the 1860's my Mother's side of the family were Mormon. Later my grand parents were apparently part of a splinter group called "Church of Christ", but not related to the present day non Mormon, "Church of Christ". I don't know how to tell if the 1860's family were LDS, Fettingite, or Temple lot, and it does not really seem important at this time.

Knowing what I know now, had my Mother lived, it might have been fairly easy to get her to join the Salt Lake Mormons. Generally tracing my family across America, a Methodist woman in Texas has been quite helpful and has possibly done most of the genealogy on that side of the Family. 

The following is part of my source material, plus conversations with related members here in Portland.

1860's Church of Christ would seem to indicate the Temple Lot group. Fetting wasn't around until the 1920's and the LDS already had the present day name firmly entrenched as the name of the organization.

Wiki is fine, I post from it all the time for stuff I just want a basic treatment of...always with the sometimes spoken, sometimes not caution to check sources if that is an issue for someone.  If you mean because it might define somethings differently than LDS do (such as a more liberal use of "mormon")...I wouldn't worry about it as I haven't seen anyone protest that yet though they may offer a correction from time to time.

It is cool to find out the spiritual connection with past relatives.  Good for you for doing your work on it.

Ellen, family research is one of my greatest pleasures. I work on it almost daily. There have been times when the search has been so fruitful that I have worked through the night and find the sun shining before I have realized what I have done. The search has taught me a great deal about humanity, my family, and society.

Ancestry.com and a program called family tree maker have been most helpful. I began in 1999. If you get stuck, I offer what little I know.

Are you sure that they weren't members of the Church of Christ, whichwas part of the protestant Holiness movement?

Are you sure that they weren't members of the Church of Christ, whichwas part of the protestant Holiness movement?

I don't know, and have not found out yet. All I can say is that once I became a member, I realized that I have felt an attachment to the church for a very long time. Whether that came from the Holy Spirit, or too much liver and onions, I do not know.