Damien the Leper Posted April 30, 2013 Posted April 30, 2013 uh oh! I plead guilty as charged! and you?I only vaguely remember you both when I used to lurk at the Centerplace board and very old CoC board (run by David Francis) about 10 years ago.
Damien the Leper Posted April 30, 2013 Posted April 30, 2013 It's so weird because my former Bishop, now in the Stake Presidency...was a former RLDS and Restoration branch member.....I just find this whole dynamic very fascinating!I attended Valley of the Sun Restoration Branch here in Phoenix a few years ago. They were very welcoming to me as an LDS member and often asked me LDS perspectives on theology and the Book of Mormon. I love the fact that that specific Branch uses the Restored Covenant Edition of the Book of Mormon. It is probably my favorite edition on my bookshelf. One of their members gave me a free copy.
randyj Posted April 30, 2013 Posted April 30, 2013 I only vaguely remember you both when I used to lurk at the Centerplace board and very old CoC board (run by David Francis) about 10 years ago. okay.....only vaguely...but you remember both of our last names after 10yrs? Would I remember you ya think...if I knew your name? PM me....I would love to make the connection....so far it's only half connected!! and that my friend is NO FAIR...tilt tilt tilt!
randyj Posted April 30, 2013 Posted April 30, 2013 I attended Valley of the Sun Restoration Branch here in Phoenix a few years ago. They were very welcoming to me as an LDS member and often asked me LDS perspectives on theology and the Book of Mormon. I love the fact that that specific Branch uses the Restored Covenant Edition of the Book of Mormon. It is probably my favorite edition on my bookshelf. One of their members gave me a free copy. So, what is your current "Restoration church" status?
Damien the Leper Posted April 30, 2013 Posted April 30, 2013 So, what is your current "Restoration church" status?Culturally Mormon. Theologically progressive pseudo-Mormon. Not a member of any restoration church any longer.
Damien the Leper Posted April 30, 2013 Posted April 30, 2013 okay.....only vaguely...but you remember both of our last names after 10yrs? Would I remember you ya think...if I knew your name? PM me....I would love to make the connection....so far it's only half connected!! and that my friend is NO FAIR...tilt tilt tilt!I never posted on either. I only read the posts. It was my initial introduction to Community of Christ and Restoration Branches. I remember you and Alan specifically because of the impressions you both made in your posts. You came off as a sincere advocate for LDS perspective. Alan, I believe at the time, was a member of Community of Christ (ex-LDS) but also seemed to have his issues and may have been on his way out. I'm not sure though. I always enjoyed reading what you both had to say.
randyj Posted April 30, 2013 Posted April 30, 2013 (edited) I never posted on either. I only read the posts. It was my initial introduction to Community of Christ and Restoration Branches. I remember you and Alan specifically because of the impressions you both made in your posts. You came off as a sincere advocate for LDS perspective. Alan, I believe at the time, was a member of Community of Christ (ex-LDS) but also seemed to have his issues and may have been on his way out. I'm not sure though. I always enjoyed reading what you both had to say.I appreciate those kind words...I truly do. It's good to be passionate about something...and I figure being passionate about the Restored gospel would be good! hahaha I also appreciate your feelings on things when you say " I am one that is tired of the walls of division that we have created among our various organizations." We do need to focus more on our common ground and do and say things that build faith. I know by heart...every single LDS/RLDS/CoC/Remnant talking point...the ole "point counter point" routine....which is hardly ever, if ever...productive. We know where our differences lie. Having said that....if we're having a serious and thoughtful dialogue on church history of the period in question....then those involved need to understand that it can be at times a rough and tumble exercise. Again...thank you for your kind words and I'm relieved and thankful that you thoughtfully considered those things I had to offer. I look forward to visiting with you more in the near future! Edited April 30, 2013 by randyj 1
Damien the Leper Posted April 30, 2013 Posted April 30, 2013 I appreciate those kind words...I truly do. It's good to be passionate about something...and I figure being passionate about the Restored gospel would be good! hahaha I also appreciate your feelings on things when you say " I am one that is tired of the walls of division that we have created among our various organizations." We do need to focus more on our common ground and do and say things that build faith. I know by heart...every single LDS/RLDS/CoC/Remnant talking point...the ole "point counter point" routine....which is hardly ever, if ever...productive. We know where are differences lie. Having said that....if we're having a serious and thoughtful dialogue on church history of the period in question....then those involved need to understand that it can be at times a rough and tumble exercise. Again...thank you for your kind words and I'm relieved and thankful that you thoughtfully considered those things I had to offer. I look forward to visiting with you more in the near future!It's nice to see you posting again. I respect and celebrate the variances that define each of the Restoration churches. Perspective has a way of allowing compassion and charity. I plan to attend The Church of Jesus Christ (Bickertonite) in Mesa some time soon. I hear wonderful things about them as well. 1
randyj Posted April 30, 2013 Posted April 30, 2013 It's nice to see you posting again. I respect and celebrate the variances that define each of the Restoration churches. Perspective has a way of allowing compassion and charity. I plan to attend The Church of Jesus Christ (Bickertonite) in Mesa some time soon. I hear wonderful things about them as well. So share with me if you can....is your position one that believes that all Restoration churches have authority...and that at some point the Lord will cause those groups to join together? I've heard this proposed many times as well over the years...just curious as to your thoughts. In a nutshell..you do not adhere to the "one true church on the face of the earth" position?
Damien the Leper Posted April 30, 2013 Posted April 30, 2013 So share with me if you can....is your position one that believes that all Restoration churches have authority...and that at some point the Lord will cause those groups to join together? I've heard this proposed many times as well over the years...just curious as to your thoughts. In a nutshell..you do not adhere to the "one true church on the face of the earth" position?The 'one true church' assertion, for me personally, is problematic. It is as problematic as Christianity (as a whole) claiming to be a correction or clarification of Judaism and is meant to be the ultimate vehicle by which salvation is attained. I prefer the path of religious pluralism.I'm not sure exactly how I feel about the authority claims. I do believe that there is a sacred story to each groups authority claims and must be perceived in the proper context. I recognize prophets and apostles (and others) and not THE Prophet or THE Apostles above any else.I don't know about a rejoining together of all the Restoration groups. That would mean setting aside a great deal of pride and truth/authority claims. I don't see it ever happening, honestly.
Robert F. Smith Posted May 1, 2013 Posted May 1, 2013 The 'one true church' assertion, for me personally, is problematic. It is as problematic as Christianity (as a whole) claiming to be a correction or clarification of Judaism and is meant to be the ultimate vehicle by which salvation is attained. I prefer the path of religious pluralism................................. There are a great many things going on simultaneously in the world, with a great many good and wise people from a wide array of cultures whom we should respect as noble and great ones from before the foundation of the world. Salvation is free and virtually universal via the grace of the Atonement. Beyond that, and in the near term, the Jews have their own trajectory and will deal personally with the Lord in His own time. 2
Damien the Leper Posted May 1, 2013 Posted May 1, 2013 There are a great many things going on simultaneously in the world, with a great many good and wise people from a wide array of cultures whom we should respect as noble and great ones from before the foundation of the world. Salvation is free and virtually universal via the grace of the Atonement. Beyond that, and in the near term, the Jews have their own trajectory and will deal personally with the Lord in His own time.Well said.
Recommended Posts