Happy Burns Day Everyone

Nathair/|\

Alas, I didn't get any haggis today. Maybe next year.

Search Works Home | Alphabetical Index | Chronological Index

Address To A Haggis

Fair
your honest,
face,

Great chieftain o' the pudding-race!

them a' yet tak your place,

Painch, tripe, or thairm:

are ye
o'a grace

As lang's my arm.

The groaning trencher there ye fill,

Your
like a distant hill,

Your pin was help to mend a mill

In time o'need,

While thro' your pores the dews distil

Like amber bead.

His knife see rustic Labour dight,

An' cut you up wi' ready sleight,

Trenching your gushing entrails bright,

Like ony ditch;

And then, O what a glorious sight,

Warm-reekin', rich!

Then,
for horn, they stretch an' strive:

the hindmost! on they drive,

their weel-swall'd

Are bent like drums;

Then auld Guidman,
like to rive,

Bethankit! hums.

Is there that owre his French ragout

Or olio that wad
a sow,

Or fricassee
make her spew

Wi' perfect sconner,

Looks down
sneering, scornfu' view

On
a dinner?

Poor devil! see him
his trash,

As feckles as wither'd rash,

His spindle shank, a
whip-lash;

His nieve a nit;

Thro' blody flood
field to dash,

O how unfit!

the Rustic, haggis-fed,

The trembling earth resounds his tread.

in his
a blade,

He'll mak it whissle;

An' legs an' arms,
hands will sned,

Like taps o' trissle.

Ye Pow'rs,
mankind your care,

And dish them out their
fare,

Scotland wants

That jaups in luggies;

But, if ye wish her gratefu' prayer

her a haggis!

Perhaps eating haggis is only for the men? I'll be in Wales in June, perhaps just a tiny bite? Just part of my Mormon Feminisim

An ye ever go to a Burns supper, you will learn that the lassies are vital to the whole affair.

An ye ever go to a Burns supper, you will learn that the lassies are vital to the whole affair.

With Heavenly Father's blessing, I will start near Cardiff, Wales, and be in the UK for a month. My plan is to be in church every Sunday. I would like to get as far North as the Lakes district. Um so is Haggis seasonal? Um I know it doesn't grow on anything but I do not wish to be seen as a stupid yank if I ask for a wee bit to taste. :)

My ancestors are from Worchestershire and somewhere else entirely.

Edited by EllenMaksoud

With Heavenly Father's blessing, I will start near Cardiff, Wales, and be in the UK for a month. My plan is to be in church every Sunday. I would like to get as far North as the Lakes district. Um so is Haggis seasonal? Um I know it doesn't grow on anything but I do not wish to be seen as a stupid yank if I ask for a wee bit to taste. :)

I've never actually been to the UK. (The GW was supposed to stop in Scotland when I was on her with VAQ-140, but I got discharged before we got there.) Rob Boylan would be the best one here to ask. I believe all the others, esp. Alan who live over there are from England. Rob's from Éire, but it's culturally closer related to Alba than either one is to -ing England.

Anyway, to answer your question, you should be fine, as far as I know, though in Alba, it's most often served on Burns day now. More popular cuts of meat are more affordable now than they were in his day, so it's not necessary to eat the parts that go into haggis.

A Scotsman & a Englishman are strolling along the beach when they find a lamp. They clean it up and out pops a genie.

"I'll give you each one wish for freeing me" says the genie.

The Englishman thinks then wishes. "I believe in an England for the English, I'm sick and tired of all these Jocks coming into MY country. I wish for a huge wall around England - to keep the English in and the Scots out."

POOF and it's done.

The Scotsman thinks. "Genie?" he says "tell me about this wall". "Well" says the genie "it's 500 feet high, a third of a mile thick, nothing can get in and nothing can get out".

"OK" says the Scotsman "Fill it with water".

Edited by Nathair
L

Haggis is a Scottish dish & is sort of like sausage, it is made not grown & there is no season for it. In England & Wales, it can be bought at some supermarkets but I've hardly ever seen it on the menu in restaurants or hotels except around Burns night. It it more readily available in Scotland! You may be able to find it in Cumbria, which Borders Scotland, especially if you are near Carlisle, I seem to remember seeing it on the menu, and you may find it in the lake district, it does seem more popular now than it was a few years back! But if it's not on the menu, you are unlikely to be able to get it! Small, gourmet restaurants would be the best chance IMO. Unless anyone knows differently?