Question About Indexing

Duncan

With this recent indexing iniative I may have heard that we (or someone else), at some point, down the line of indexing takes these names to the Temple to have their ordinances done. So, when the names are properly indexed they are added to the to do list at a Temple. Is this accurate? if true, then what do we do about the counsel to only take our direct ancestors' names to the Temple? (in light of the holocaust names and celebrity thing)

I don't think there has been a change to the system. They just encourage you to not hold the names in limbo.

it just seems odd we are told not to take other people's names to the Temple, if we aren't related to them, but then with this whole indexing thing we or someone does take them

The indexed names are not taken to the temple. Indexing makes it possible for me to type, say my grandmothers names, into the search engine at Family Search, and have all records containing her name available to me. In other words, it creates a digital index of that record which I can access from my home computer instead of having to go to the library or family history center and look at a microfilm. For some records a scanned copy is available to look at. For others all the genealogical information is abstracted.

The indexed names are not taken to the temple. Indexing makes it possible for me to type, say my grandmothers names, into the search engine at Family Search, and have all records containing her name available to me. In other words, it creates a digital index of that record which I can access from my home computer instead of having to go to the library or family history center and look at a microfilm. For some records a scanned copy is available to look at. For others all the genealogical information is abstracted.

great to know!!! Thank you!