"Muslim And Mormon Relations," Harvard, Next Monday Night

Daniel Peterson

That should be interesting..

If you're in the area, please drop by and say Hello:

http://dcpsicetnon.b...interfaith.html

Dr. Peterson (Dan)…I have a difficult question for you, since this is your field of study. One of the kindest men I have ever known and a friend of 25+ years is Muslim. But in his mind and the mind of most I know in Islam, Christianity is a false religion and Judaism is an enemy to Islam. Do you feel we will indeed find common ground…in a religious setting (or) I guess what I am asking; will Mormonism ever be allowed to be preached in Islamic States?

I think so. A local Muslim leader in the mosque here in OC stated that he believed that Christianity was less true, or in other words did not have all the truth. Not that it was false, in the sense of being completely untrue. Judaism is the same way. How Muslims interpret it is individual since there is no singular monolithic authority regarding Islam. Some do consider the religions an enemy, others simply as a less true religion.

Dr. Peterson (Dan)…I have a difficult question for you, since this is your field of study. One of the kindest men I have ever known and a friend of 25+ years is Muslim. But in his mind and the mind of most I know in Islam, Christianity is a false religion and Judaism is an enemy to Islam. Do you feel we will indeed find common ground…in a religious setting (or) I guess what I am asking; will Mormonism ever be allowed to be preached in Islamic States?

I live in the United Arab Emirates and have done so for the past two years. What you have described above is not Islam and has nothing to do with the Muslims I work with and live with. A true Muslim would say that a Muslim must accept Judaism and Christianity to be a true Muslim. The context of the statements really focuses on the scripture. A Muslim believes in and reads the OT, NT, and the Qur'an.

I have heard many of them in private conversation state bluntly that the Jews are their cousins. In reality, I think that is an accurate statement. Islam floats between the world of Judaism and Christianity. They live, following the teachings of Jesus (while rejecting his divinity), and their customs are more Judaic in practice in many ways. (I am painting with a broad brush stroke here so don't rush for the details; they don't apply to what I am saying.)

• 2 weeks later...

I live in the United Arab Emirates and have done so for the past two years. What you have described above is not Islam and has nothing to do with the Muslims I work with and live with. A true Muslim would say that a Muslim must accept Judaism and Christianity to be a true Muslim. The context of the statements really focuses on the scripture. A Muslim believes in and reads the OT, NT, and the Qur'an.

I have heard many of them in private conversation state bluntly that the Jews are their cousins. In reality, I think that is an accurate statement. Islam floats between the world of Judaism and Christianity. They live, following the teachings of Jesus (while rejecting his divinity), and their customs are more Judaic in practice in many ways. (I am painting with a broad brush stroke here so don't rush for the details; they don't apply to what I am saying.)

But alas they are the silent majority.

Archived