Bill Hamblin Posted January 4, 2012 Author Posted January 4, 2012 Seehttps://mormonscriptureexplorations.wordpress.com/2012/01/03/1-nephi-41-18/andhttps://mormonscriptureexplorations.wordpress.com/2012/01/03/1-nephi-419-38/and the links to the YouTube videos there.
altersteve Posted January 4, 2012 Posted January 4, 2012 Brother Hamblin,I'm a big fan of what you're doing and I look forward to more. Thank you for doing this.
wenglund Posted January 4, 2012 Posted January 4, 2012 (edited) After watching some of the videos and reading the supplamental material, the biggest challenge I am finding is figuring out how much of the wonderful insights to unload on the Sunday School class. Thanks, -Wade Englund- Edited January 4, 2012 by wenglund
Bill Hamblin Posted January 4, 2012 Author Posted January 4, 2012 Brother Hamblin,I'm a big fan of what you're doing and I look forward to more. Thank you for doing this. Thanks!
Bill Hamblin Posted January 4, 2012 Author Posted January 4, 2012 After watching some of the videos and reading the supplamental material, the biggest chalenge I am finding is figuring out how much of the wonderful insights to unload on the Sunday School class. Thanks, -Wade Englund-Speak really, really fast!
volgadon Posted January 4, 2012 Posted January 4, 2012 Speak really, really fast!Or hold up your hand whenever someone attempts to interrupt.
Bill Hamblin Posted January 4, 2012 Author Posted January 4, 2012 (edited) Or hold up your hand whenever someone attempts to interrupt.Absolutely NO questions allowed! Edited January 4, 2012 by Bill Hamblin
Brant Gardner Posted January 4, 2012 Posted January 4, 2012 Absolutely NO questions allow!Of course not. How would we ever uphold our apologist title if we allowed people to question anything?
wenglund Posted January 5, 2012 Posted January 5, 2012 Speak really, really fast!Sounds good except the class is full of slow listeners. LOLThanks, -Wade Englund-
Bill Hamblin Posted January 5, 2012 Author Posted January 5, 2012 Sounds good except the class is full of slow listeners. LOLThanks, -Wade Englund-You know you've reached the proper speed of talking when everyone is asleep.Like the time I bored the prophet to sleep once.
wenglund Posted January 5, 2012 Posted January 5, 2012 You know you've reached the proper speed of talking when everyone is asleep. Like the time I bored the prophet to sleep once.That is quite an accomplishment. However, I evidently reach that speed in every KEP thread I have participated in. I have become so skilled at it that even the most rancourous person on the planet (he of the Twilight Zone) frequently dozes off in silence. I am thinking of selling my material as a the perfect cure for insomnia.Thanks, -Wade Englund-
Calm Posted January 5, 2012 Posted January 5, 2012 I am thinking of selling my material as a the perfect cure for insomnia.Thanks, -Wade Englund-Sorry, it doesn't work....but maybe it's just that I'm a hardcore case.
wenglund Posted January 5, 2012 Posted January 5, 2012 (edited) Sorry, it doesn't work....but maybe it's just that I'm a hardcore case.Maybe it is because you aren't a man. It seems to work well with one-track, unimaginative minds.Thanks, -Wade Englund- Edited January 5, 2012 by wenglund
volgadon Posted January 6, 2012 Posted January 6, 2012 Maybe it is because you aren't a man. It seems to work well with one-track, unimaginative minds.Thanks, -Wade Englund-I'm still awake. I want my money back!
Bill Hamblin Posted January 6, 2012 Author Posted January 6, 2012 That is quite an accomplishment. However, I evidently reach that speed in every KEP thread I have participated in. I have become so skilled at it that even the most rancourous person on the planet (he of the Twilight Zone) frequently dozes off in silence. I am thinking of selling my material as a the perfect cure for insomnia.Thanks, -Wade Englund-Actually, your stuff gives me insomnia!!!
Bill Hamblin Posted January 6, 2012 Author Posted January 6, 2012 New stuff on 1 Nephi 5:1-9https://mormonscriptureexplorations.wordpress.com/2012/01/05/bom-1-nephi-51-9/video on YouTube
LeSellers Posted January 6, 2012 Posted January 6, 2012 I'm unconvinced that Lehi and Saraiah were as young as you propose. Barely into the ninth year, if even that late, Nephi notes that his parents are very old.17 Now my father, Lehi, had said many things unto them, and also unto the sons of Ishmael; but, behold, they did breathe out much threatenings against anyone that should speak for me; and my parents being stricken in years, and having suffered much grief because of their children, they were brought down, yea, even upon their sick-beds.In spite of the birth life expectancy of the period, fifty would not have been "stricken in years".It's obvious that Laman and Lemuel, at least, were in their twenties (were they twins?), but it is not obvious that they had been Sariah's first births, or that Sariah was not like many of her foremothers; infertile until later in life. Nor is it obvious that Sam and Nephi were children. They, too, could have been in their twenties: as you said, men typically married later than women in that time because they often had to provide a bride price (not everyone could get thirty sheets and thirty changes of clothing by the time he was twenty or so). And, yes, I remember that Lehi was wealthy. (And, yes, I know that Samson paid a bet with the clothing and linen.)Lehi
Bill Hamblin Posted January 7, 2012 Author Posted January 7, 2012 Material on 1 Nephi 5:10-22 http://mormonscriptureexplorations.wordpress.com/2012/01/07/1-nephi-510-22/'>http://mormonscriptureexplorations.wordpress.com/2012/01/07/1-nephi-510-22/ I'm not going to continue updating on Mormon Scripture Explorations. If you want to keep getting updates you need to subscribe by clicking the "Follow the Blog via Email" in the upper right column of the blog. http://mormonscriptureexplorations.wordpress.com/
Bill Hamblin Posted January 7, 2012 Author Posted January 7, 2012 I'm unconvinced that Lehi and Saraiah were as young as you propose. Barely into the ninth year, if even that late, Nephi notes that his parents are very old.In spite of the birth life expectancy of the period, fifty would not have been "stricken in years".It's obvious that Laman and Lemuel, at least, were in their twenties (were they twins?), but it is not obvious that they had been Sariah's first births, or that Sariah was not like many of her foremothers; infertile until later in life. Nor is it obvious that Sam and Nephi were children. They, too, could have been in their twenties: as you said, men typically married later than women in that time because they often had to provide a bride price (not everyone could get thirty sheets and thirty changes of clothing by the time he was twenty or so). And, yes, I remember that Lehi was wealthy. (And, yes, I know that Samson paid a bet with the clothing and linen.)LehiMy calculations are based on the youngest possibilities. Of course they could be older. But in antiquity, with average life span expectancies in the high thirties or low forties, being in your fifties, would be considered old.
Recommended Posts