Intro

diglot

Hello all,

I am intending on posting on contributing to and interacting with the community on this forum, so I thought it beneficial if I provide a quick intro of myself.

My name is Kevin, I was born and raised in New Zealand, and I now reside in the U.S.A. with my wife of 3 years.

I am not part of the LDS Church. I am what you might call a 'mainstream' Christian to a degree. I would associate myself with the 'evangelical' and 'progressive' streams of Christianity. My blog (link found in my signature below) is where I throw out my thoughts to the world on early Christianity, theology, etc.

Why am I here? Well, first of all, my wife and I have been receiving regular visits from Mormon missionaries. I am not interested in joining the LDS Church because I do not think Joseph Smith was a prophet of God, and while it is not impossible I will change my mind on that, I would say it is highly improbable. With that said, though, I am highly interested in learning about the history and theology of the LDS Church.

I recently joined up to the CARM forums a week or two ago. Unfortunately, the discussion that goes on there is about as deep as a coat of paint, so I browsed these forums and see that the level of discussion can be much more learned. It also wasn't helpful that the posters at CARM kept claiming I was a Mormon in disguise simply because I pointed out some of their egregious errors in Greek language, knowledge of the Bible, etc. At least here I should not have the problem of having everyone saying I am a Mormon ;)

Why am I here? Well, first of all, my wife and I have been receiving regular visits from Mormon missionaries. I am not interested in joining the LDS Church because I do not think Joseph Smith was a prophet of God, and while it is not impossible I will change my mind on that, I would say it is highly improbable. With that said, though, I am highly interested in learning about the history and theology of the LDS Church.

I recently joined up to the CARM forums a week or two ago. Unfortunately, the discussion that goes on there is about as deep as a coat of paint, so I browsed these forums and see that the level of discussion can be much more learned. It also wasn't helpful that the posters at CARM kept claiming I was a Mormon in disguise simply because I pointed out some of their egregious errors in Greek language, knowledge of the Bible, etc. At least here I should not have the problem of having everyone saying I am a Mormon ;)

Welcome to the board, we can always use another thoughtful and informed nonLDS poster who does feel obligated to disagree with us 'just because'. I hope you will be willing to share your own beliefs as well as discuss ours as I find that much more interesting myself and am very grateful that we get enough nonLDS posters here so I don't have to go wandering looking for a good place to listen...though if you have suggestions for somewhere with a positive rather than contentious attitude*****, please volunteer it.

*****this place and an occasional spate in the family supplies more than enough contention to fill my quota, unfortunately I am not 'saintly' enough to avoid it myself yet.

Hi diglot,

Welcome to the forum. I am an Evangelical as well, though I have some fairly liberal views. My initial exposure to LDS is familial. My wife and her side of the family is LDS. I too have had a number of missionary encounters.

If you are looking for LDS who are willing to discuss their own views intelligently and articulately you won't find a better place. It is an interesting contrast from missionary discussions, not that missionaries don't express themselves well. It's just that missionaries seem to present a more "polished" picture in their discussions. Whereas here, the LDS posters here are willing to discuss critical issues in a respectful environment.

My only advice would be to make sure you have read the forum guidelines about not posting things related to Temple content.

The moderators have been more than willing for someone to discuss proxy baptisms, sealings, endowments and that sort of thing in a conceptual sense, but getting into detailed questions about the specifics of exactly what goes on in that respect treads upon what LDS hold as sacred.

Regards,

Mudcat

Hi Diglot,

CARM tends to be a pretty rough and tumble group. Many of the "Chistians" over there that post in the Mormon section are either ex-mormon or Ill-Informed. The level of dicsussion here is much deeper as you can see.

Over there you can get banned for posting too many links etc. You'll like it here a lot.

Enjoy and Welcome to the Board.

If you are looking for LDS who are willing to discuss their own views intelligently and articulately you won't find a better place.

Yup, that is exactly what I am looking for.

My only advice would be to make sure you have read the forum guidelines about not posting things related to Temple content.

The moderators have been more than willing for someone to discuss proxy baptisms, sealings, endowments and that sort of thing in a conceptual sense, but getting into detailed questions about the specifics of exactly what goes on in that respect treads upon what LDS hold as sacred.

Regards,

Mudcat

Thanks for the heads-up.

Hi Diglot,

CARM tends to be a pretty rough and tumble group. Many of the "Chistians" over there that post in the Mormon section are either ex-mormon or Ill-Informed. The level of dicsussion here is much deeper as you can see.

Over there you can get banned for posting too many links etc. You'll like it here a lot.

Enjoy and Welcome to the Board.

You get banned/suspended over there (as I just have) for opening your mouth and disagreeing with their fundamentalist view of the Bible and Christianity.

"Rough and tumble" is a polite way of putting it ;)

Hello diglot...

Welcome to the board... I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at the knowledge of a good many of our LDS (and non-LDS) posters, and the depth of discussions.

The one thing I would ask is that you keep an open mind and heart as you learn more about the LDS faith... who knows, you may find that the more you learn the more it resonates with you... it happens :)

GG