New Calling And Melchizedek Priesthood

Hi all,

So as some of you may know, I converted to the Church of Jesus Christ from the Catholic church in February, after many years as a critic. Anyway, I met with my bishop on Sunday, and I've been called as a ward missionary (for the past few months I've been assistant to the elders' quorum presidency). Also, he asked me to schedule a meeting with a member of the stake presidency to receive the Melchizedek Priesthood, which I'm excited about.

Anyway, for those that have been ward missionaries, do you have any tips or advice? I know I'll be teaching the Gospel Essentials/Principles class, however what else does the calling entail? I'll definitely talk to the other ward missionaries on Sunday, but I just wanted to hear your thoughts as well.

Thanks!

Hello Chris...

I served a 2-year Stake Mission (when they used to have stake missionaries). Part of my duties were to go on "splits" with the regular missionary sisters to teach investigators. Does your ward have elders or sister missionaries? You may be asked to assist them.

I'm not sure what all ward missionaries do... but I will encourage you to give it your all.

Good luck.

GG

Hi all,

So as some of you may know, I converted to the Church of Jesus Christ from the Catholic church in February, after many years as a critic. Anyway, I met with my bishop on Sunday, and I've been called as a ward missionary (for the past few months I've been assistant to the elders' quorum presidency). Also, he asked me to schedule a meeting with a member of the stake presidency to receive the Melchizedek Priesthood, which I'm excited about.

Anyway, for those that have been ward missionaries, do you have any tips or advice? I know I'll be teaching the Gospel Essentials/Principles class, however what else does the calling entail? I'll definitely talk to the other ward missionaries on Sunday, but I just wanted to hear your thoughts as well.

Thanks!

I have taught that class for a few years and recently was called to do so again. The Prophet Joseph was reported to once have made this statement, “Cling close the bark of the tree, least reaching for the limbs ye fall”. Just remember they are new members or in many cases not members at all. Your background will aid you greatly…Congrats.

Hello Chris...

I served a 2-year Stake Mission (when they used to have stake missionaries). Part of my duties were to go on "splits" with the regular missionary sisters to teach investigators. Does your ward have elders or sister missionaries? You may be asked to assist them.

I'm not sure what all ward missionaries do... but I will encourage you to give it your all.

Good luck.

GG

We do have elders in our ward, and I know that at least one of the ward missionaries sometimes goes out with them. That would be fun!

Thanks!

I have taught that class for a few years and recently was called to do so again. The Prophet Joseph was reported to once have made this statement, “Cling close the bark of the tree, least reaching for the limbs ye fall”. Just remember they are new members or in many cases not members at all. Your background will aid you greatly…Congrats.

Thanks, yeah I've been attending that class since February.

When I was called as a ward missionary right after returning from my mission most of my calling duties were to go on splits with the missionaries (where one time I ended up teaching one of them how to tract) and teach the gospel essentials class. Beyond that there wasn't much for me to do, but I do know that you're often considered to be one of the 1st people that's supposed to befriend new investigators when they show up at church (though I was still in the family ward when I was called so I mostly exempt from that.)

I would talk to your Sunday school pres and get the manual "Teaching, No greater call". Get the Gospel Principles manual too.

I would read those books. I think it will help you out on the generals of some aspects of your call.

I would also imagine you might want to talk with your ward mission leader. You will probably be working closely with him anyway. I imagine your basic responsibility is to help out the missionaries and be a friend to the investigators and new converts and help with retention and activation.

Here's the'official write-up from Church Handbook 2:

Ward Missionaries

The bishopric and the ward mission leader determine how many ward missionaries are needed in the ward. Ward missionaries serve under their direction. Priesthood holders, sisters, and married couples may serve as ward missionaries. They need not have assigned companions, but they should not go alone when visiting in homes. A man and a woman do not make visits together as ward missionaries unless they are husband and wife.

Ward missionaries are called to a specified term of service, such as two years. They normally do not have other Church responsibilities, except for assignments as home teachers or visiting teachers, preferably to part-member or less-active families. They do not wear name tags.

Ward missionaries find and prepare people for the full-time missionaries to teach. They also assist in fellowshipping and teaching investigators.

Ward missionaries visit members’ homes to encourage members to seek missionary experiences, identify people the missionaries could teach, and prepare people to be taught.

Have fun! I was recently released from serving as a ward mission leader to serve in a similar role on the stake level.

Edited by nackhadlow

I would talk to your Sunday school pres and get the manual "Teaching, No greater call". Get the Gospel Principles manual too.

I would read those books. I think it will help you out on the generals of some aspects of your call.

I would also imagine you might want to talk with your ward mission leader. You will probably be working closely with him anyway. I imagine your basic responsibility is to help out the missionaries and be a friend to the investigators and new converts and help with retention and activation.

Thanks. I have Gospel Principles, guess I'll pick up a copy of Teaching.