What I Don'T Like About Church Productions

Log

When the Church makes a screenplay of events from the scriptures, it has to be worshipful, sincere, and sub-G-rated. If you think about it, there's really no other way the Church can make movies, given the overarching goals of any films the Church produces.

And yet.

As we know from our own lives and our own experiences with God, miracles, and revelation, life does not move at that slow, ponderous, grace-in-every-movement pace. There is genuine conflict, some violent, and little, if any, cheesy dialogue (at least, which doesn't have its origination from the teevee).

As a point in contrast, I consider Saints and Soldiers to be an excellent film, and thought it quite moving. Being a production by sincere Mormons, there was a little bit of cheesiness (mostly because of the delivery of the actors, but not all), and a bit of that worshipfulness characterized by Church productions but missing from real life.

Is there a possible third way, a "secular" (for lack of a better word) presentation, which captures the reality of the experiences in the scriptures, which can avoid the ponderous nature of Church productions, yet preserve the spiritual integrity of the account portrayed? Imagine a gritty, realistic film of Abinadi's mission - who would make it?

When the Church makes a screenplay of events from the scriptures, it has to be worshipful, sincere, and sub-G-rated. If you think about it, there's really no other way the Church can make movies, given the overarching goals of any films the Church produces.

And yet.

As we know from our own lives and our own experiences with God, miracles, and revelation, life does not move at that slow, ponderous, grace-in-every-movement pace. There is genuine conflict, some violent, and little, if any, cheesy dialogue (at least, which doesn't have its origination from the teevee).

As a point in contrast, I consider Saints and Soldiers to be an excellent film, and thought it quite moving. Being a production by sincere Mormons, there was a little bit of cheesiness (mostly because of the delivery of the actors, but not all), and a bit of that worshipfulness characterized by Church productions but missing from real life.

Is there a possible third way, a "secular" (for lack of a better word) presentation, which captures the reality of the experiences in the scriptures, which can avoid the ponderous nature of Church productions, yet preserve the spiritual integrity of the account portrayed? Imagine a gritty, realistic film of Abinadi's mission - who would make it?

Ugh! I totally agree with you about the acting in many LDS films--especially when Joseph or Emma Smith are portrayed. I think their real personalities were ANYTHING but boring. I think they were extremely lively and spirited in real life--not at all the reverent, pious characters the actors usually portray. I just don't get why they are usually (if not always) played that way.

Ugh! I totally agree with you about the acting in many LDS films--especially when Joseph or Emma Smith are portrayed. I think their real personalities were ANYTHING but boring. I think they were extremely lively and spirited in real life--not at all the reverent, pious characters the actors usually portray. I just don't get why they are usually (if not always) played that way.

The latest Seminary film on Joseph makes both of them more lively. Joseph spends more time joking around and their marriage has more of the light humor you see in happily married couples.

• 2 weeks later...

Do you doubt the brethren are actively involved?

Do you doubt their ability to receive revelation?

Do you doubt those films are prayed over and the Spirit inspires them?

Then what praytell bothers you about all those? I would be careful brother as the path to apostasy is a slippery one, and many there be that fall therein.

Read board rules before posting again please. Do not pass judgment on another poster's spirituality or worthiness. Especially when you are in Social Hall.

Edited by Minos