Anijen Posted May 2, 2011 Posted May 2, 2011 I have an end of semester assignment in my history of religions class (due Monday, tomorrow) which I did but did wrong. So now I scrapped the original and starting over.What I need is your help.Please name some similarities in religions I am going to make a collage of these similarities... Some examples would be;Virgin Births in Christianity also in Buddhism, and Zoroastor Creation stories Popol vuh, ChristianityGreat floodsAbraham was told to sacrifice Isaac (Judaism), Abraham told to sacrifice Ishmael (Islam)
Anijen Posted May 2, 2011 Author Posted May 2, 2011 Mods somehow I have two threads, I dont know how I did this could you please delete one of them or merge them? Thanks.
volgadon Posted May 2, 2011 Posted May 2, 2011 Reincarnation. You have at least three religions, Budhism, Judaism and the Druse.
Anijen Posted May 2, 2011 Author Posted May 2, 2011 Reincarnation. You have at least three religions, Budhism, Judaism and the Druse.Thanks Volgadon. In my haste to do an entire project overnight I forgot reincarnation. How do the Jewish believe in reincarnation?
Chris Smith Posted May 2, 2011 Posted May 2, 2011 Animal sacrifice - Judaism, Hinduism, Aztec religion (among many others)Temples - Judaism, Hinduism, Aztec religion, Mormonism
Nathair/|\ Posted May 2, 2011 Posted May 2, 2011 Abraham raising standing stones and planting sacred groves/ modern Druids doing the same thing.
Benjamin McGuire Posted May 3, 2011 Posted May 3, 2011 I know I am a bit late to this discussion, but my experience is that similarities of this sort are becoming problematic within the academic study of the history of religions. There are two texts that have influenced me a great deal on this point (as it relates specifically to the history of religions) - the first is Jonathan Z. Smith's Drudgery Divine. On the Comparison of Early Christianities and the Religions of Late Antiquity University of Chicago Press, 1990. The second is Comparing Religions. Possibilities and Perils? ed. by Thomas Athanasius Idinopulous, Brian C. Wilson, and James Constantine Hanges. Brill, 2006. One premise that both of these books share is that the similarities are themselves generally uninteresting. It is the way that they show us the differences that makes them useful, and it is the differences that are interesting. Comparison without discussion of difference is necessarily misleading.Ben M.
CV75 Posted May 3, 2011 Posted May 3, 2011 I have an end of semester assignment in my history of religions class (due Monday, tomorrow) which I did but did wrong. So now I scrapped the original and starting over.What I need is your help.Please name some similarities in religions I am going to make a collage of these similarities... Some examples would be;Virgin Births in Christianity also in Buddhism, and Zoroastor Creation stories Popol vuh, ChristianityGreat floodsAbraham was told to sacrifice Isaac (Judaism), Abraham told to sacrifice Ishmael (Islam)Tree of Life
Anijen Posted May 3, 2011 Author Posted May 3, 2011 I know I am a bit late to this discussion, but my experience is that similarities of this sort are becoming problematic within the academic study of the history of religions. There are two texts that have influenced me a great deal on this point (as it relates specifically to the history of religions) - the first is Jonathan Z. Smith's Drudgery Divine. On the Comparison of Early Christianities and the Religions of Late Antiquity University of Chicago Press, 1990. The second is Comparing Religions. Possibilities and Perils? ed. by Thomas Athanasius Idinopulous, Brian C. Wilson, and James Constantine Hanges. Brill, 2006. One premise that both of these books share is that the similarities are themselves generally uninteresting. It is the way that they show us the differences that makes them useful, and it is the differences that are interesting. Comparison without discussion of difference is necessarily misleading.Ben M.Hi Ben, although to late for my project these sound interesting enough to fulfill my curiosity. Thanks for your input.CalmoriahDid you make it?After using everyone of your suggestions and a few more that popped into my head, such as Jesus born of God but also of human and that of Zeus having children from mortals (demigods). It turned out very nice, the funny thing though is every project went over their time and three of us had not yet presented got a free pass (instant A) because we were left with no time and it was the last day of class. Thanks for all your help.
Anijen Posted May 3, 2011 Author Posted May 3, 2011 Tree of LifeI did use that one and after class I spoke with my professor so I could show him my project even though I couldn't present it, he loved that I put that in there.
CV75 Posted May 3, 2011 Posted May 3, 2011 I did use that one and after class I spoke with my professor so I could show him my project even though I couldn't present it, he loved that I put that in there."Great minds..." I hope you get an "A"!
Anijen Posted May 3, 2011 Author Posted May 3, 2011 "Great minds..." I hope you get an "A"!I know I received an A on the project I am hoping for an A for the course as well.
CV75 Posted May 3, 2011 Posted May 3, 2011 I know I received an A on the project I am hoping for an A for the course as well.Outstanding!
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.