Is a nuclear plant near you?

Nuclear Plant ... How far from you?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. How far away do you live from a nuclear power plant?

• Within 9 miles
    • Between 10 and 24 Miles
    • Between 25 and 49 Miles
    • Between 50 and 100 Miles
    • Over 100 Miles

Santa Nofre is somewhat near me.

Not super-prepared, but not un-prepared either. If there is a similar incident, I'll just have to hike on out probably. Although the debris not be so dangerous at the distance I am at.

Not super-prepared, but not un-prepared either. If there is a similar incident, I'll just have to hike on out probably. Although the debris not be so dangerous at the distance I am at.

Tao,

Having an evacuation plan with a 72 hour kit is a good thing just in case. One of the things I've noticed was that, although the Japanese Government sure had a lot of preparations (many inadequate), the people didn

Not really. Even in Japan it was more along the lines of cause and effect.

San Onofre is designed to operate safely with a 7.0 nearby. It will also begin automatic shutdown (which must be overridden manually) with a quake higher than 5.0. It has a 30 foot tsunami seawall as well. Both of these are something the Fukushima plant did not have.

Not really. Even in Japan it was more along the lines of cause and effect.

San Onofre is designed to operate safely with a 7.0 nearby. It will also begin automatic shutdown (which must be overridden manually) with a quake higher than 5.0. It has a 30 foot tsunami seawall as well. Both of these are something the Fukushima plant did not have.

Actually the Fukushima plants did have a sea wall; it

The generators in San Onofre cannot be swamped since they are also self contained.

Evacuate is nice, but it would have to be on foot for the most part. Even on a good day the roads are often busy. During an evacuation we would have to travel on trails, which arent' too far from here. Our priests could point them out very quickly since we have all hiked through the mountain passes here and even into Palm Springs over the Saddle Back Mtns. Would we do it? We have many elderly people in our ward. It may be that some will remain to care for them.

I do agree that not every contingency can be taken into account, and something may happen that overcomes all our safety, that is, I think part of what it means to be mortal. But I trust in the Lord and I have confidence in our leaders as well as my families own ability. We should not depend on the government, I have seen too many governments make too many mistakes in my travels.

If it goes I'm gone. So repent every day is my main preparation.

It if leaks mutating radiation I have a sharp sword and a shotgun for the inevitable hordes of radioactive zombies.

Protip: Remember to crush the skulls of the fallen lest they rise again.

What if it only goes halfway and the zombies are sleeping? :P

I wouldn't worry about Yellowstone blowing

Best Wishes,

From the Weirdo Kid Volcanologist,

TAO

Who said I was worried? :P

Best wishes from a prior Emergency Preparedness Cooridinator for 3 years! Did you read my signature???

;)

Edited by Messenger

Who said I was worried? :P

Best wishes from a prior Emergency Preparedness Cooridinator for 3 years! Did you read my signature???

;)

Hehe, I'm glad your not worried XD. As your quote says, panic, is never good ;-)

Would that be San Onofre, or did Christmas come early this year? ;):P

My sister lives near one, her attitude is "What better way to go. A bright flash and then its all over".

What extra preparation could be had living near one? I suppose Iodine tablets, but more than that there does not seem there is much one could do.

The problem is that these modern nuclear plants will never show a "A bright flash and then its all over". They simply dont blow up.

So, how do you prepare?

1) Have a 72 hour kit, 3 months supply of what you eat & drink, and a 3-12 month supply of food and water (if you can) for long term storage.

2) Have an emergency plan in place. All that goes with it. have a meeting place, a communcations plan and an evacuation route.

3) if you cant or decide not to evacuate, learn the two types of shelter in place (both sealed and non-sealed)

If your ward has an emergency coordinator, you should get with him or her. If you dont have one, visit the website of www.ready.gov and or the Churches Provident Living website on Emergency Planning.

This video at Ready.gov is a great starting place .... http://www.ready.gov/america/about/_flash/movie15.html

You might end up with superpowers.

As in, turn green, get really big, and kick some bad-guy @$$? Yeah! :P