The Real Face of Jesus

Tapir Whisperer

I know this has no theological significance, but we have all seen the pictures/paintings of the handsome, fair skinned Jesus with golden flowing hair and piercing blue eyes in our Churches, at Temple Square and in numerous Church publications.

Several years ago, a team of forensic scientists, Israeli archeologists and anthropologists recreated what they believe is the most accurate "Image of Jesus":

tb_jesuslead-lg-mdn.jpg

Does anybody have a difficult time accepting the possibilty that Jesus may not have looked anything like our Church has portrayed Him? After all, it would seem from a LDS perspective that if any Church would know what Jesus looked like it would be the LDS Church.

I know this has no theological significance, but we have all seen the pictures/paintings of the handsome, fair skinned Jesus with golden flowing hair and piercing blue eyes in our Churches, at Temple Square and in numerous Church publications.

Several years ago, a team of forensic scientists, Israeli archeologists and anthropologists recreated what they believe is the most accurate "Image of Jesus":

tb_jesuslead-lg-mdn.jpg

Does anybody have a difficult time accepting the possibilty that Jesus may not have looked anything like our Church has portrayed Him? After all, it would seem from a LDS perspective that if any Church would know what Jesus looked like it would be the LDS Church.

Hey man, who is going to argue with Popular Mechanics as a theological source?

And the assumption that Jesus was a "composite Semite" of his day?

What could possibly be wrong with that?

Given that half of the Savior's DNA came from God the Father (assuming that notion is correct), has anyone wondered how that would have affected the Savior's physical appearance and likeness (including complexion, eye color, and hair) compared to others (such as his half-brothers)? This may be a stupid question.

tb_jesuslead-lg-mdn.jpg

Thank you for your condescension.

I've actually seen several paintings by LDS artists that are extremely well done and don't portray Christ with "golden flowing hair and piercing blue eyes." In fact, most examples of paintings critics like to cite as evidence of Mormonism's purported belief in "Aryan superiority" aren't by LDS artists at all. Harry Anderson is a classic example.

In the mean time, as long as Mormon painters stop making crap like this, I'm fine. http://www.mcnaughtonart.com/artwork/view_zoom/?artpiece_id=379

Edit: Wrong link. http://www.mcnaughtonart.com/artwork/view_zoom/?artpiece_id=413

For all we know, He was red-headed and, therefore, would tend to burn pretty easily. It was a family trait, after all.

...Does anybody have a difficult time accepting the possibilty that Jesus may not have looked anything like our Church has portrayed Him? After all, it would seem from a LDS perspective that if any Church would know what Jesus looked like it would be the LDS Church...

Hi,

The prophet Joseph taught that he was a pure Ephriamite. So the Mormon faith was the first "Christian Identity" religion.

If Joseph was a pure Ephriamite, and he was white, how could a person from another Israelite tribe be of a different "race"?

Mormons should trust the prophet Joseph over "mommy professor".

Are the people in Greece today the same racially as the original Greeks? Or in Rome, Egypt, etc etc. The answer is no. Over time people in those areas intermarried with other people. White flight is not a new phenomenon.

Richard

classic-jesus.jpg

Given that half of the Savior's DNA came from God the Father (assuming that notion is correct), has anyone wondered how that would have affected the Savior's physical appearance and likeness (including complexion, eye color, and hair) compared to others (such as his half-brothers)? This may be a stupid question.

Or may not be. The point is, no one knows and he might have looked like a "composite Semite" or not. I think we all get to imagine him as we will.

In addition to my previous post, you also have to wonder how His appearance changed after His resurrection (if it did). I've always found it a little odd how certain individuals close to Him during His life failed to initially recognize Him post-resurrection.

At any rate, that is a different discussion and topic.

So the Mormon faith was the first "Christian Identity" religion.

So absolutely not true.
Over time people in those areas intermarried with other people. White flight is not a new phenomenon.
Had to look up "white flight". Since when is "intermarriage" "white flight"?

At times like these, I wish the board required that posters who posted such nonLDS ideas while linking them to LDS in their comments such as these put in disclaimers that they are not LDS and that there is nothing in the LDS faith that promotes these positions, but that these are their personal interpretations so that those who are not aware of the history of various posters don't get the wrong idea.

the bible actually describes Jesus as having dark skin. "hair like wool" and "skin like burnt brass"

The reference is "white" wool, white like snow and that was the resurrected Savior, referring to his hair color.

I don't have a problem with him not looking like all the paintings, which in any case show a variety of appearances. I do have a problem with the expression on the drawing in the opening post. It looks like he doesn't know what is going on. In any case I'm pretty sure Joseph Smith described him with blue eyes and fair. And since he was half the Son of God then I would think he wouldn't have the appearance of most of the Jews of the day.

The reference is "white" wool, white like snow and that was the resurrected Savior, referring to his hair color.

I don't have a problem with him not looking like all the paintings, which in any case show a variety of appearances. I do have a problem with the expression on the drawing in the opening post. It looks like he doesn't know what is going on. In any case I'm pretty sure Joseph Smith described him with blue eyes and fair. And since he was half the Son of God then I would think he wouldn't have the appearance of most of the Jews of the day.

It pleases some folks to take sacred things and besmirch them, like the idiot with the "Urine Jesus" piece that made all the papers a few years back. This is of that ilk, Abulafia/Mary's use thereof notwithstanding. This was chosen specifically for its clueless/thuggish/Neanderthalish depiction in order to mock Christians and the Christ. I don't for a second buy this "inclusiveness" argument in its favor.

Akiane, child prodigy claims when she was young she had visions of the Savior and painted this when she was 8.

Jesus (Click down to age 8 pictures and enlarge the second one.)

This was chosen specifically for its clueless/thuggish/Neanderthalish depiction in order to mock Christians and the Christ. I don't for a second buy this "inclusiveness" argument in its favor.

I would completely disagree with your referring to Christ's depiction as "clueless/thuggish/Neandertahlish". It's obvious you haven't spent any time in the Middle East. This is how many Middle Easterners look. I'm suprised that you would refer to them as "Neanderthalish". Racially insensitive if you ask me.

Just because some people look different than you, it's not appropriate to make fun of them.

This is how many Middle Easterners look.

That may be how many modern day Middle Easterners look but we are talking about the pure Davidic blood line crossed with God. Even today many Jewish people are very fair. 1 Samuel 17:42 says this about David "And when the Philistine looked about, and saw David, he disdained him: for he was but a youth, and ruddy, and of a fair countenance."

Archived