Mormons and internet dating in heavy LDS areas

Duncan

I understand totally why people in low LDS populations would internet date and think its very commendable, more power to them if they use that option. What I don't understand is members who live in heavy Mormon areas who internet date or try to at least. Let's say you live in Horseshoe Heaven, Alberta, Canada and say they have 7 stakes in that one city. My question is wouldn't this person be content to meet someone with having FHE every week, dances, millions of activites and a host of other Church related stuff in their stake or some other one nearby? To use a quotation from my Mum, "What would posess you to..." Why would they want to meet someone from the internet when they have access to all this stuff and people?

I understand totally why people in low LDS populations would internet date and think its very commendable, more power to them if they use that option. What I don't understand is members who live in heavy Mormon areas who internet date or try to at least. Let's say you live in Horseshoe Heaven, Alberta, Canada and say they have 7 stakes in that one city. My question is wouldn't this person be content to meet someone with having FHE every week, dances, millions of activites and a host of other Church related stuff in their stake or some other one nearby? To use a quotation from my Mum, "What would posess you to..." Why would they want to meet someone from the internet when they have access to all this stuff and people?

A place where nobody knows your name and you could have a fresh start

Because people sometimes are busy with their "lives".... A lot of single LDS aren't very active in the LDS Singles scene of their area. Thus, using the internet can simply be one additional way of helping to find someone you might not meet or know otherwise. This is especially prevalent with single adults, because they tend to have busier lives. However, even young singles can be busy with things, and not be as active in the young singles scene. I've been in the young singles scene, some of the best times in my life, and I'm now sadly in the Adult singles scene, something I'm mostly observing from a distance at the moment, but eventually will likely be active in again, when other things are on track personally.

Anyway, the internet is another tool as in any other.

I've been on and off LDS internet dating sites since 1998! And I live in Orem, UT! lol....I go to Single adult activites here as well.

One thing I find with Utah LDS single guys is they are a LOT more picky than LDS single guys in other states! I get more attention from out of state LDS men.

I think it's because beautiful women here in UT are a dime a dozen and men have their pick of the bunch.

Red

I would think the more dense the LDS population, the more valuable an internet dating site would be.

- If one is using a non-lds service, clearly they are trying to recruit outside the LDS wall

- if one is using an LDS service, they can quickly see who is available and shares similiar interests before meeting for the first time.

maybe some people like people but do not like dancing, or FHE or other things they perceive as "let get'em married" activities. some people can be more "social" and show their true self over the internet whilst in public they clam up.

so basically, different strokes for different folks. I understand the frustration on both sides of the issue. I do not like dancing, or dance, but I went because there are pretty ladies at dances, and I got a girlfriend from going to dances (it didn't last but the relationship was enjoyable.)

Archived