Book recommendation on abuse

Chleh

Hi,

I'm really not sure if I'm in the right place so if someone could point me to a better place if necessary I would be so grateful.

I have a dear friend who was the victim of a pedophile and I desperately want to find her a book to uplift her and guide her specifically related to her struggles. Something like "putting on the armor of god" but with a focus on victims of abuse. I tried to look on google, but that unearths some very scary pages and lds.org gives me short and vague articles.

Any help at all would be such a blessing. Even if it's just a tip for where else I could ask my question.

I hope someone can help! Thank you!

Here's an idea: Call your police or sheriff department, and ask for a detective or investigator in sex crimes. They may be able to help you.

I hope my friends here have better ideas, though -- that's all I could think of.

Blessings,

Blossom

Hi,

I'm really not sure if I'm in the right place so if someone could point me to a better place if necessary I would be so grateful.

I have a dear friend who was the victim of a pedophile and I desperately want to find her a book to uplift her and guide her specifically related to her struggles. Something like "putting on the armor of god" but with a focus on victims of abuse. I tried to look on google, but that unearths some very scary pages and lds.org gives me short and vague articles.

Any help at all would be such a blessing. Even if it's just a tip for where else I could ask my question.

Try "Comfort My Soul in Christ: Abuse: Breaking the Cycle -- Healing the Wounds" by Randy L. Bott. I haven't read it, but I've read about it, it seems like a good resource for Latter-Day Saint victims of abuse.

Hi,

Not sure why your first post is about this...but welcome anyway.

Hi,

you would do you friend greater service by contacting a licensed professional about books. LDS Social Services might be of some help. To reenforce my first sentence, contact a licensed professional.

Here's an idea: Call your police or sheriff department, and ask for a detective or investigator in sex crimes. They may be able to help you.

I hope my friends here have better ideas, though -- that's all I could think of.

Blessings,

Blossom

The police likely do not have the best up-to-date information themselves as they deal with the criminal side of things and not the long term aftereffects, but they may have referrals to victim aid organizations, trauma counselors etc. so this is not a bad idea, but the poster may be able to find those groups in the phone book/online phone book as well.

If you want something from the LDS point of view, contacting LDS Social Services (now called Family Services) is the best way imo.

http://www.provident...,2128-1,00.html

Edited by calmoriah

http://deseretbook.c...erick/i/4996430

I have not read this particular book so if you get it, be sure and read it first yourself. The author is a professional therapist, a great writer and I've liked every book of his that I have read.

add-on: I agree that counseling is the best way to go, books can help get a person put into words what they are going through, but in order to start to look at things a new way it is most helpful to be able to explore it with someone else and preferably someone who knows enough to avoid the pitfalls of overobsessing, defining oneself by one's wounds, etc. which can too often happen with people who are trying to be sympathetic and supportive and want to help the other make the pain stop (unfortunately to get to that point, most often additional pain must be endured not avoided).

Edited by calmoriah

Thank you so much! I didn't even know that there was an LDS social services. I will definitely contact them!

I asked here because she had a few non lds therapists who really weren't very good. They can't help her make peace with her spirituality and the worth of her soul because they don't understand that part of her. A book seemed to be a good supplement, I will check out both of those references (thanks nicolasconnault and calmoriah!) and ask family services for advice.

Sorry my first post was so strange-I spent a while looking for a forum to ask my question, I haven't ever used one. I really hoped it would be fruitful and it definitely was! This seems like a great place for discussion.