Jump to content
Seriously No Politics ×

Calling And Election...


Bardman

Recommended Posts

Posted

I remember back in the '80s having an argument with a friend of mine about temple marriage. He was of the opinion that being married in the temple was the equivalent of having your calling and election made sure. Now this may be hopelessy out of date, and if so, I expect it'll be put to bed quickly, but I disagreed with him then. I cited Mormon Doctrine as my source on the subject, as well as Elder McConkie's talk, "The Seven Deadly Heresies." My friend responded with the usual, "That's just his opinion," argument.

Without disclosing details, I was married in the temple, and I remember the phrasing of the ceremony. I also remember that all gospel promises in and out of the temple seemed to me to be predicated on my own faithfulness.

Is this still an issue? Was it officially settled? Or was it ever an issue large enough in the church to require being addressed by the leadership?

Folks?

Posted

This is the first time i've ever heard anyone compare being married in the temple to having your calling and election made sure. I agree though that there is nothing that i now of that supports such a belief.

:P

Posted

I have heard talks in which the Brethren have had to refute the belief that a temple marriage means your calling and election are sure, but I do not recall personally knowing anyone who believed that.

Posted

As far as I can remember, this was the only time I ran into that kind of thought. But since I'd heard Elder McConkie's (I always referred to him as "Bruce R.," but I don't want to seem disrespectful. He was actually one of my heroes.) talk prior to meeting this fellow, I thought it might be an example of widespread belief.

Posted

We had a recent discussion here on it not that long ago where someone (I have tried not to remember who it was so as not to affect my view of his views on other topics though they are often just as "off" doctrinally and I do remember his name so it hasn't worked all that well). It stems from a simple misunderstanding of temple ordinances. The doctrine becomes clear when: A. one can identify all of the temple ordinances that are performed for the living and the dead; and B. one has carefully read what Joseph Smith taught about the revelation and the ordinance.

Posted

Temple Marriage always been described as a milestone on the log road to exaltation, never the destination. It is clearly described this way in the temple.

You were right and your friend was pretty confused I think.

Posted

Having had my calling and election rejected several times now, I consider myself somewhat of an expert on the subject.

It is a separate ordinance conducted in the temple. It is not the marriage sealing, though it is likely not available to anybody who has not been previously married in the temple.

At the conclusion of the second sealing, the individual's name is recorded in a ledger, which corresponds to the heavenly Lamb's Book of Life.

I am afraid there is only white-out where my name used to be.

All the Best!

--Consiglieri

Posted
Well, judge for yourself here beginning with post #30 where the fun started.

Okay, wow. I think I saw that thread, but I thought it had to with Evangelism, so I never looked at it.

You're wrong, though. The fun began waaay before post #30.

I'll remember to make use of that nifty "search" feature next time.

Thanks.

Posted
Holders of the Melchizedek Priesthood have power to press forward in righteousness, living by every word that proceedeth forth from the mouth of God, magnifying their callings, going from grace to grace, until through the fulness of the ordinances of the temple they receive the fulness of the priesthood and are ordained kings and priests. Those so attaining shall have exaltation and be kings, priests, rulers, and lords in their respective spheres in the eternal kingdoms of the great King who is God our Father. (Bruce R. McConkie, Mormon Doctrine, 425)

He who hath ears to hear, let him hear.

The more sure word of prophecy means a man’s knowing that he is sealed up unto eternal life, by revelation and the spirit of prophecy, through the power of the Holy Priesthood. (D&C 131:5)
Posted
Someone with gospelink, could you also include here Doctrines of Salvation by Joseph Fielding Smith, volume 3, pages 131-134?

I'd be delighted!

FULNESS OF THE PRIESTHOOD

HOW CHRIST GAINED FULNESS OF PRIESTHOOD. Joseph Smith said: "If a man get a fulness of the priesthood of God, he has to get it in the same way that Jesus Christ obtained it, and that was by keeping all the commandments and obeying all the ordinances of the house of the Lord."

I hope we understand that. If we want to receive the fulness of the priesthood of God, then we must receive the fulness of the ordinances of the house of the Lord and keep his commandments. This idea that we can put off our salvation because of some weaknesses of the flesh until the end, and then our children will go and do this work for us in the temple of the Lord when we are dead, will get us nowhere. Salvation for the dead is for those who died without a knowledge of the gospel so far as celestial glory is concerned. And those who have rejected the truth and who have fought the truth, who would not have it, are not destined to receive celestial glory. Now, the Lord says this-it is not my saying, I am glad to say, although I fully believe it.

FULNESS OF PRIESTHOOD NOT DEPENDENT ON OFFICE HELD. Let me put this in a little different way. I do not care what office you hold in this Church-you may be an apostle, you may be a patriarch, a high priest, or anything else-you cannot receive the fulness of the priesthood unless you go into the temple of the Lord and receive these ordinances of which the Prophet speaks No man can get the fulness of the priesthood outside of the temple of the Lord. There was a time when that could be done, for the Lord could give these things on the mountain tops-no doubt that is where Moses got it, that is no doubt where Elijah got it-and the Lord said that in the days of poverty, when there was no house prepared in which to receive these things, that they can be received on the mountain tops.

But now we have temples, and you cannot get these blessings on the mountain tops; you will have to go into the house of the Lord, and you cannot get the fulness of the priesthood unless you go there. Do not think because somebody has a higher office in this Church than you have that you are barred from blessings, because you can go into the temple of the Lord and get all the blessings there are that have been revealed, if you are faithful; you can have them sealed upon you as an elder in this Church, and then you have all that any man can get. There have to be offices in the Church, and we are not all called to the same calling, but you can get the fulness of the priesthood in the temple of the Lord by obeying this which I have read to you. I want to make this emphatic.

FULNESS OF PRIESTHOOD REQUIRED FOR EXALTATION. There is no exaltation in the kingdom of God without the fulness of priesthood. How could a man be an heir in that kingdom without priesthood? While the sisters do not hold the priesthood, they share in the fulness of its blessings in the celestial kingdom with their husbands. These blessings are obtained through obedience to the ordinances and covenants of the house of the Lordâ?¦.

To obtain the fulness of the priesthood does not mean that a man must become President of the Church. Every man who is faithful and will receive these ordinances and blessings obtains a fulness of the priesthood, and the Lord has said that "he makes them equal in power, and in might, and in dominion." Only one man at a time on the earth holds the keys of the priesthood; only one man at a time has the power to receive revelations for the Church; but the Lord has made it possible for every man in this Church, through his obedience, to receive the fulness of the priesthood through the ordinances of the temple of the Lord. This cannot be received anywhere else.

FULNESS OF PRIESTHOOD FOR LIVING AND DEAD. Only in the temple of the Lord can the fulness of the priesthood be received. Now that temples are on the earth, there is no other place where the endowment and the sealing powers for all eternity can be given. No man can receive the keys of exaltation in any other place.

Joseph Smith has said that, "the saints have not too much time to save and redeem their dead, and gather together their living relatives, that they may be saved also, before the earth will be smitten, and the consumption decreed falls upon the world." When that day comes, those who have professed to believe in the latter-day work, and who have rejected the doctrine of temple building and the ceremonial endowments therein, will find themselves shut out of the kingdom of God. This subject occupied the mind of the Prophet Joseph Smith for several years before his death, for the Lord revealed to him all things pertaining to the work in the temples, and he revealed them unto others that the work might go on.

In the temples the saints are performing the ordinances which will insure, through faithfulness, the fulness of the blessings of the kingdom of God. During the past century the Church has been true to this calling, and the prospect for the future is good. This work will go on through the millennium, until redemption shall come to all who are worthy to receive it. In the words of the Prophet: "Let the dead speak forth anthems of eternal praise to the King Immanuel, who hath ordained, before the world was, that which would enable us to redeem them out of their prison; for the prisoners shall go free."

FULNESS OF PRIESTHOOD IS IN SEALING POWER OF ELIJAH. But now we have the fulness of the power of the priesthood. The Lord has restored the keys and authorities of all the dispensations and has made it possible, by the power of Elijah, to make every act performed by authority of force when men are dead or out of the world, Let us remember that all contracts, bonds, oaths, or performances, which are not entered into by the authority of this sealing power, are of no efficacy or virtue after men are dead. The house of the Lord is a house of order and everything in it is obedient to divine law.

When a man assumes authority which he does not have and becomes a law unto himself, according to the word of the Lord, he is not justified and must remain filthy still. Let each member of the Church reflect carefully upon these things and see to it that he or she is in perfect harmony with that which the Lord has revealed, and that all ordinances are received under the hands of those who are officially called and endowed with power from on high.

Posted
That was a thread I bookmarked.

You really did? Oh, great. Now I really have to go and delete my posts....

(To the mods: Would that technically count as deductions from my total post count? I'm approaching the 680 mark with a fury and nothing will stop me!)

Posted
I'd be delighted!

Thank you good sir.

So, as can be plainly seen, making your calling and election sure, or receiving a fullness of the priesthood, requires all of the temple ordinances. There are, of course, ordinances above and beyond that of temple marriage.

Posted
I remember back in the '80s having an argument with a friend of mine about temple marriage. He was of the opinion that being married in the temple was the equivalent of having your calling and election made sure. Now this may be hopelessy out of date, and if so, I expect it'll be put to bed quickly, but I disagreed with him then. I cited Mormon Doctrine as my source on the subject, as well as Elder McConkie's talk, "The Seven Deadly Heresies." My friend responded with the usual, "That's just his opinion," argument.

Without disclosing details, I was married in the temple, and I remember the phrasing of the ceremony. I also remember that all gospel promises in and out of the temple seemed to me to be predicated on my own faithfulness.

Is this still an issue? Was it officially settled? Or was it ever an issue large enough in the church to require being addressed by the leadership?

Folks?

It ( meaning having your calling and election made sure) is too rare and too large to be addressed by the church. It assuredly does not happen when being sealed in the temple unless you are just that ready at that moment, but one thing doesn't necessarily percipitate the other and visa versa.

Posted
I remember back in the '80s having an argument with a friend of mine about temple marriage. He was of the opinion that being married in the temple was the equivalent of having your calling and election made sure.

Ah, that it could be so easy. :P

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...