Doctor Steuss Posted October 31, 2007 Posted October 31, 2007 I received these via revelation after eating Taco Bell right before going to bed. Hopefully they will be found useful. Feel free to add to them if you feel the need (the Steussites have no qualms about "adding and/or taking way").-------1. It is ok to be proven wrong. In fact, it can often be more beneficial than having to be right. 2. Sarcasm is a tool, not a weapon. Those who use it as a weapon are usually tools. 3. Qualifiers are your friend. 4. Using a broad paintbrush usually causes you to get paint on yourself. 5. Sometimes an apology is the best last word. 6. Itâ??s ok to like and respect apostates. 7. Itâ??s ok to acknowledge the validity of something even if you donâ??t necessarily agree with it. 8. Itâ??s ok to be funnyâ?¦ even if youâ??re not funny. 9. When possible, keep posts short and leave novels to the likes of Melville. 10. There is no harm in acknowledging when you hold an indefensible position.11. Generally speaking, you arenâ??t learning anything as you type.
Severian Posted October 31, 2007 Posted October 31, 2007 Thanks for posting these helpful guideline Doc.
Drewm777 Posted October 31, 2007 Posted October 31, 2007 12. Avoid "yes-it-is-" "no-its-not" conversations at all costs.That's a valid rule.No it's not.Yes it is.No it's not.
Scott Lloyd Posted October 31, 2007 Posted October 31, 2007 I received these via revelation after eating Taco Bell right before going to bed. Hopefully they will be found useful. Feel free to add to them if you feel the need (the Steussites have no qualms about "adding and/or taking way").-------1. It is ok to be proven wrong. In fact, it can often be more beneficial than having to be right. 2. Sarcasm is a tool, not a weapon. Those who use it as a weapon are usually tools. 3. Qualifiers are your friend. 4. Using a broad paintbrush usually causes you to get paint on yourself. 5. Sometimes an apology is the best last word. 6. Itâ??s ok to like and respect apostates. 7. Itâ??s ok to acknowledge the validity of something even if you donâ??t necessarily agree with it. 8. Itâ??s ok to be funnyâ?¦ even if youâ??re not funny. 9. When possible, keep posts short and leave novels to the likes of Melville. 10. There is no harm in acknowledging when you hold an indefensible position.11. Generally speaking, you arenâ??t learning anything as you type.I would endorse these -- with the possible exception of number 11. I've had the experience before of revising/abandoning a thought, not realizing how stupid it was until I actually typed it out. I'd call that learning.
bluebell Posted October 31, 2007 Posted October 31, 2007 Never say anything in a post that you wouldn't say in person, while Jesus looked on.(i'm still working on this one myself).I would endorse these -- with the possible exception of number 11. I've had the experience before of revising/abandoning a thought, not realizing how stupid it was until I actually typed it out. I'd call that learning. I am right there with scott on this one-i can't count the number of times i've deleted a post after typing it because it was a lot dumber on 'paper' than in my head.
Scott Lloyd Posted October 31, 2007 Posted October 31, 2007 12. Avoid "yes-it-is-" "no-its-not" conversations at all costs.That's a valid rule.No it's not.Yes it is.No it's not.It's obvious Drewm has arrived fresh from the "Book of Mormon Introduction" thread.
Drewm777 Posted October 31, 2007 Posted October 31, 2007 It's obvious Drewm has arrived fresh from the "Book of Mormon Introduction" thread. That one and several others, unfortunately.
Doctor Steuss Posted October 31, 2007 Author Posted October 31, 2007 I would endorse these -- with the possible exception of number 11. I've had the experience before of revising/abandoning a thought, not realizing how stupid it was until I actually typed it out. I'd call that learning. Refer to number 3, and then back to the first two words of number 11. I have also had times I've realized an opinion/thought was silly as I was forced to put in in written form.Never say anything in a post that you wouldn't say in person, while Jesus looked on.(i'm still working on this one myself).Fantastic one. The first part of it is applicable to non-believers as well as believers. I think we often forget that there is a real person behind each post.
Paul Ray Posted October 31, 2007 Posted October 31, 2007 12, or 13, and/or whichever numbers come next:Pray to God for guidance before and as you say something/anything... for yourself, as well as for others.Use smilies, and/or pictures, and/or charts, and/or diagrams. Many people learn visually more than from words.Use analogies, and/or stories, and/or parables, and/or "word pictures" Many people learn by comparing some things to other things.... that's all I can think of at the moment. Edit: oh, and one more:Don't be afraid to use the Edit feature for anything. It isn't wrong to try to say or do things better than you do/did the first time.
Luigi Posted October 31, 2007 Posted October 31, 2007 I received these via revelation after eating Taco Bell right before going to bed. Hopefully they will be found useful. Feel free to add to them if you feel the need (the Steussites have no qualms about "adding and/or taking way").-------1. It is ok to be proven wrong. In fact, it can often be more beneficial than having to be right. 2. Sarcasm is a tool, not a weapon. Those who use it as a weapon are usually tools. 3. Qualifiers are your friend. 4. Using a broad paintbrush usually causes you to get paint on yourself. 5. Sometimes an apology is the best last word. 6. Itâ??s ok to like and respect apostates. 7. Itâ??s ok to acknowledge the validity of something even if you donâ??t necessarily agree with it. 8. Itâ??s ok to be funnyâ?¦ even if youâ??re not funny. 9. When possible, keep posts short and leave novels to the likes of Melville. 10. There is no harm in acknowledging when you hold an indefensible position.11. Generally speaking, you arenâ??t learning anything as you type.How about this one:12. Recognize that "I know ________ is true" in a dialogue about ______ essentially feels like "I'm not listening to you".
Neophyte Posted October 31, 2007 Posted October 31, 2007 How about:The only difference between genius and stupidity is that there are limits to genius.and one for the Taco Bell theme:Solid, liquid, gas, the three stages of a burrito.
Paul Ray Posted October 31, 2007 Posted October 31, 2007 How about this one:12. Recognize that "I know ________ is true" in a dialogue about ______ essentially feels like "I'm not listening to you".I know that is true... but then again, sometimes it isn't.
Uncle Dale Posted November 1, 2007 Posted November 1, 2007 ...6. Itâ??s ok to like and respect apostates. ...Was it Elder Jeddy Grant or Elder Bill Hickman who cracked that joke, about "the only good apostate..."?.... memory fails me.But, taking your advice to heart, I'm turning over a new leaf here and now -- and trying very hard to like and respect both of those two unlikeable guys.Letmeseenow, where shall I begin?Uncle "I suppose I could like and respect their excellent taste in deep dish apple pie, maybe..." Dale
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.