What If The Council Of The Fifty Resurfaced?

Joseph Antley

I had an interesting thought. Since in the days of Joseph Smith the Council was held in secret, would it bother you if a secret Council of the Fifty existed among the Brethren and other prominent leaders in the Church today but none of the members were aware of it? IIRC wasn't Sidney Rigdon, Joseph's first counselor, unaware of the Council's existance?

Several books have information about the Council of Fifty.

Here is a short list;

Rough Stone Rolling, By Richard Bushman

Quest for Empire, By Klaus Hansen, University of Michigan

Mormon Hierarchy, Origins of Power, By Michael Quinn

I think there were some smaller papers written for maybe dialogue, maybe by Quinn?

It was the Earthly Kingdom of God, ruled by fifty men, not all of which were members of the Church. All decisions had to be unanimous, I canâ??t remember many of the other details, I would have to refresh by going back and reading from my books.

I was first introduced to the Council of Fifty while at BYU by one of my history professors.

There isnâ??t a lot known about the council, if I remember the last known member was President Heber J. Grant. The only reason we know anything is in large part from the journals of a few men.

Best,

Johnny Rotten

P.S.

No, I would not have a problem with it!

I'm of the opinion that hidden, secret organizations have an incredibly hard time getting anything done at all. Haliburton stock holders still aren't rich, the Illuminati still hasn't emmanentized their stupid eschaton, and I'm still not married to Angelina Jolie and JLo.

Therefore, if there's a hidden council of 50 lurking in the shadows, I say more power to 'em. Maybe they can get Romney elected and start requiring CEO's of major corporations to be temple recommend holders.

HSR

Well, I can definitely tell you that I am not (despite all rumors to the contrary) part of this secret council.

We are definitely NOT pressuring the Queen of England to lead the Anglicans to us. The large stockpile of weapons kept at 468 Roosevelt Drive in Norman, Oklahoma is entirely for self-defense and in fact, does not exist. The whispers that we have made secret pacts with the Illuminati to conduct an unprovoked war against Paraguay to recover the lost Ark of the Covenant is so much malicious gossip. The reports that say we are working with the Reptilians from Beta Centauri to sell the entire Green Party membership as slaves to aid them in their war against the Bulrathi of Vega were obviously started by lesbian Nazi hookers.

Nope, nothing to see here folks.

Several books have information about the Council of Fifty.

Here is a short list;

Rough Stone Rolling, By Richard Bushman

Quest for Empire, By Klaus Hansen, University of Michigan

Mormon Hierarchy, Origins of Power, By Michael Quinn

I think there were some smaller papers written for maybe dialogue, maybe by Quinn?

It was the Earthly Kingdom of God, ruled by fifty men, not all of which were members of the Church. All decisions had to be unanimous, I canâ??t remember many of the other details, I would have to refresh by going back and reading from my books.

I was first introduced to the Council of Fifty while at BYU by one of my history professors.

There isnâ??t a lot known about the council, if I remember the last known member was President Heber J. Grant. The only reason we know anything is in large part from the journals of a few men.

Best,

Johnny Rotten

P.S.

No, I would not have a problem with it!

You must be thinking of the Council on Foreign Relations :P

It will never happen, not under the current, stodgy boring leadership. They existed during Joseph's time because Joseph was a new ager, out on the edge, getting off on feelings of power and secrets and special "inside knowledge" groups. There was nothing like a delicious, tasty secret that delighted his fancy. When introducing polygamy he'd pull out each person separately, whispering to them sweet nothings about God's special cause and job for them and God's special reward for them and ssssshhhhhh "don't tell anyone, it's too special to be divulged to the masses."

I had an interesting thought. Since in the days of Joseph Smith the Council was held in secret, would it bother you if a secret Council of the Fifty existed among the Brethren and other prominent leaders in the Church today but none of the members were aware of it? IIRC wasn't Sidney Rigdon, Joseph's first counselor, unaware of the Council's existance?

Not very likely, Antley. But it probably SHOULD be set up again immediately.

No use being afraid of the Illuminati, CFR, TLC, or any of the overcooked ones. The conspiracy that should strike fear in all of us the most must certainly be the coming of Zion and its laws.

And the Second Coming of Zion (the first coming was at the time of Enoch) has to come BEFORE the Second Coming of Christ. That means, the expression, "till Kingdom comes", no longer means way way in the future.

D&C 49:24-25

24 But before the great day of the Lord shall come .. Zion shall flourish upon the hills and rejoice upon the mountains, and shall be assembled together unto the place which I have appointed.

Richard

Not very likely, Antley. But it probably SHOULD be set up again immediately.

No use being afraid of the Illuminati, CFR, TLC, or any of the overcooked ones. The conspiracy that should strike fear in all of us the most must certainly be the coming of Zion and its laws.

And the Second Coming of Zion (the first coming was at the time of Enoch) has to come BEFORE the Second Coming of Christ. That means, the expression, "till Kingdom comes", no longer means way way in the future.

Ummmm, it already came. We have hordes of Missionaries out teaching the laws now.

I guess that it was so secret that some of us (me for example) still don't know about it.

Could you please give us a thumbnail sketch, or a link?

A group of fifty men called to promote religious freedom and protection of Constitutional rights of the Church. The minutes of the meetings are public record and include hundreds of pages of talks by Joseph Smith on the importance of the Constitution of the United States both now and in the Millenium. The Council of Fifty ceased its political activities in 1885 but the last member did not die until 1945. Since being on the Council was a lifetime appointment, that would be when the Council officially ended. The existence of the Council was not a secret. Many of the meetings were public and it was well known among the members of the Church. Membership in the Council of Fifty was often mentioned in obituaries and other society articles in the news.

The purpose of the Council was not to rule the world, but to provide a political voice for the Church which was, after all, under constant assault by politicians. Some might object to Church participation in political affairs, but that cuts both ways. Church participation in political affairs would not have been necessary if politicians had kept their hands out of Church affairs.

Ummmm, it already came. We have hordes of Missionaries out teaching the laws now.

What already came? The Government of Zion and its laws?

The Gospel was restored through the Prophet Joseph Smith to prepare the earth for Zion. He sought for the establishment of Zion, but it did not come about. However, the Lord did promise that in time the redemption of Zion would occur.

I believe that when we say in the Lord's prayer, "thy Kingdom come" it means the Political Kingdom-- an actual government with laws revealed from heaven. That kingdom has not yet come, but must come before the second coming of Christ. If that Kingdom is already here, why pray for it to come?

In the Book of Mormon, when Christ came to the Nephites and also gave them the same "Lord's prayer", it does NOT have the expression "thy Kingdom come", because at that time the Kingdom was there.

I believe that before Zion comes (an actual government set up by the Lord, even as ancient Israel's government was set up by Moses) the government of the United States must collapse on it own. Zionist are survivalists, not revolutionists.

Richard

Archived