Jump to content
Seriously No Politics ×

3DOP

Contributor
  • Posts

    3,847
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by 3DOP

  1. I am late to this thread. I watched the whole video tonight in October. A thought or two...I liked the serene and thoughtful presentation. Hi cal. Dave Waltz doesn't look at this site much anymore (nor do I, I might point him to it. We talk.). But both of us think there is a lot of value in comparing Islamic and LDS and Catholic claims together. I am uncomfortable with comparisons to be characterized as ridiculous. There are significant ways in which we are closer to Islam. Creation ex nihilo is big, I have seen a lot of posts on this forum which characterize that as ridiculous. To be fair, I wonder if that fuels some of the apparent Catholic favortism towards Islam. I am at odds with what most devout Catholics think the Catholic Church teaches, for accepting every baptism that uses the correct form (the form is the words used) except for the LDS. Why be confident that my Baptist baptism from a man who would vehemently deny that a Catholic should accept it? (There are some good arguments). I am conditionally baptised, but think my original baptism was probably valid. I would suggest that these norms should also apply to LDS baptisms. I hold that more non-Catholics should be conditionally baptised upon being received into the Church. Lutherans and Anglicans and Presbyterians aure. But most Catholics, incliuding the hierarchy seem pretty ignorant of the wacky stuff that is taught in some Evangelical circles. Still, we can't repeat baptism. So I say the same for LDS. To say that every LDS baptism seems difficult to support. I am glad to be conditionally baptised. But I would hesiatate to say I was never baptised. It seems like I would feel the same way as an LDS. I share my intellectual journey with hardly any living person except Dave. In the 90's, after our conversions, our kids and my wife would make remarks about "Daddy's Church", whenever we would pass an LDS....I don't even know what you call it, a Stake? It was a good joke. Anyway, one of your red brick buildings. Most of my fellow Catholics would think my interest in Islam in the early 90's coupled with an interest in your own faith would be ridiculous. I put out feelers rarely. I have one friend here in Kansas, a young fellow Catholic, under 40, who sees why I would have ever taken the LDS claims seriously. I think we need to be patient with our fellow religionists regarding their ignorance of other faith claims. I think very few of your fellow LDS are well-informed about Catholic thought. As I approach my "golden years", I have a little bit of envy toward my fellows who have never seemed called to wrestle with the issues that separate us. All the camps have good people who try to follow Christ, and who adore, and praise, and thank Him, even while being ignorant of the nuances of other ways of Christian beliefs. God save us and make us One in Him, as He prayed. Rory
×
×
  • Create New...