Richard Bushman: Evil?

9 minutes ago, Benjamin Seeker said:

Ok. I’ll try again.

Do you really think Emma’s trauma disappeared? It seems like she had separated JS from polygamy as much as possible in her mind. Her continued denial of polygamy to the end of her life while consistently professing testimony of JS as a prophet don’t fit together well. I don’t know what was going through her mind, but her attitude toward polygamy, an echo of her experience, was clear throughout her later years.

I have heard accounts of people who depart this life seeming to encounter the spirits of people with whom they were, it might be said, not on the best of terms when the people they encounter they departed this life and, from their reactions, it seems, "the feud continues" (my phrase), at least temporarily.  That doesn't seem to be what happened between Emma and Joseph when she departed this life ... at least, I've never read her, "Joseph ... Joseph ... Joseph" as being something more akin to [exasperated tone], "Joseph, Joseph, Joseph! [Tsk-tsk-tsk!]," as if to say, "Joseph, I'm glad that, finally, I've kicked the bucket, because, boy, do I have some unfinished business with you!  I hope you're ready to get at least an earful!"

To each, his own.

4 minutes ago, Kenngo1969 said:

I have heard accounts of people who depart this life seeming to encounter the spirits of people with whom they were, it might be said, not on the best of terms when the people they encounter they departed this life and, from their reactions, it seems, "the feud continues" (my phrase), at least temporarily.  That doesn't seem to be what happened between Emma and Joseph when she departed this life ... at least, I've never read her, "Joseph ... Joseph ... Joseph" as being something more akin to [exasperated tone], "Joseph, Joseph, Joseph! [Tsk-tsk-tsk!]," as if to say, "Joseph, I'm glad that, finally, I've kicked the bucket, because, boy, do I have some unfinished business with you!  I hope you're ready to get at least an earful!"

To each, his own.

I agree, she seems very happy to greet him. I just don’t think that means she was over her polygamy troubles. Like I said, she seemed to separate JS from polygamy in all of her statements, but I don’t know what she was doing inwardly. I’m guessing JS didn’t show up with a plural wife in hand, and if he did, she probably would have reacted differently.