Seriously No Politics ×

Ideals Vs. Culture

1 hour ago, Meadowchik said:

Well I guess that depends on who you ask. I'm glad my believing LDS parents aren't like that.

Fair point.  My mother doesn't hold the Jesus doesn't know people view either.  To be fair my point has less to do with how people live their religion and more to do with what the scripture teaches.  I think Scott's point of finding kinship with those who believe as he does,andnot finding similar kinship with other believers or non believers, for that matte, Is a good fit with the teaching of scripture or jesus in scripture.  

Edited by stemelbow
15 hours ago, Meadowchik said:

Maybe I just see the danger in something that seems innocuous enough on the surface to you and others. Because I've experienced the harm?

There's the issue of eschewing nonbelievers which is obviously damaging to personal relationships. There's also the issuance of too much trust to fellow believers. Affinity fraud is an example.

Of course the OPs comments on other threads imo gives the strong impression that he feels animosity towards dissidents. So it would follow that this OP was just as much about celebrating those negative feelings for perceived enemies albeit in a subtle way. 

I can understand that.  When we've been hurt, our biases can be especially strong.  I've been there myself.  I definitely still am there with some things.  And I agree with you that Scott hasn't been shy about his feelings towards critics.  He's got his biases too.

I don't read 'have more kinship with this group than that group' as 'eschewing' that group.  I thought it was hopeful that the OP stated some kinship with critics, as it seemed to be an improvement over the idea that there was no kinship or affinity at all.  And I agree that affinity fraud is a huge issue, especially here in Utah.  I think that's as much a problem of embracing the idea of a prosperity gospel, and thinking that God grants extra wealth to the righteous, as it is trusting other members.   

But I didn't read the OP has suggesting anything about trusting newly baptized members with our finances.  It seemed to just be speaking about the level of spiritual connection between likeminded and similarly committed people.