Jump to content
Seriously No Politics ×

Scripture Software


Recommended Posts

Posted

Hello fellow scripture software users!

I have traditionally used basically free Bible software - mostly The Word and eSword. Then LDS.org put the scriptures on line in a very usable format, so between it and Biblehub.com, I have used other scriptural software a lot less. However, I am now very interested in a module I can only get through one of the big three, and am strongly considering Accordance which is having a sale right now. I can also get this module included in Bibleworks, at over double the money, or as an add-on in Logos. I am really liking some things about Logos, but it seems the software doesn't do a lot of things if you are not connected on-line. I am currently not interested in their large packages, but even the cheapest one(beyond the freebie) is going to be in the monetary range of Bibleworks with the module add on. Nevertheless, Logos' free program connects you to a lot of other products and services in the umbrella of the parent company - videos etc, so I am thinking I will keep it for now.

I am wondering if anyone can add anything to what I should know about the latest and greatest versions of these programs. I've read some would just assume buy an older version of Bibleworks as get the new one. I don't know how to do that though. I imagine I would probably have to pay to get the license transferred. I have been pleasantly surprised by what is now available for free. I think Sword has a JST. There are also several Peshittas available for free. There seems to be considerably more than last time I looked closely. However, the main point in this thread is which of the big three I should get. I am already strongly leaning, but here is your chance to help out a bro with everything your like or don't like, etc.

Posted
1 hour ago, RevTestament said:

There seems to be considerably more than last time I looked closely. However, the main point in this thread is which of the big three I should get. I am already strongly leaning, but here is your chance to help out a bro with everything your like or don't like, etc.

Personally, I would advise a physical copy of the Word of God in your favourite translation. In addition, I have an
exhaustive concordance in book form. But when I really need some quick lookups, I use eSword and 
classic.scriptures.lds.org

Jim

Posted

It'd be useful to know what platform you're talking about. On my iPad I use Faithlife for Bible reading and Logos for more broader texts (although I'm too much the cheapskate to have bought much there - although I lust after the Anchor Bible dictionary and commentaries). I also have the Bible Gateway app on my iPad since Logos is more limited in what translations it offers without buying them.

Posted
7 minutes ago, clarkgoble said:

It'd be useful to know what platform you're talking about. On my iPad I use Faithlife for Bible reading and Logos for more broader texts (although I'm too much the cheapskate to have bought much there - although I lust after the Anchor Bible dictionary and commentaries). I also have the Bible Gateway app on my iPad since Logos is more limited in what translations it offers without buying them.

I am basically a Windows 10 user now. I have a Windows 10 tablet computer, and too many desktops... I have a small 4 core cheap if you want it. I will be putting it on both my Windows tablet and a desktop. I believe all three will allow this. I have been using an Android phone, although it is really bothering me right now, so if I can't fix it, that could change. Because I have a Windows tablet, I see no use for an iPad. I can tether mine to a phone to download, or can get data downloads directly if I want to pay for it. I usually can use wifi though because I am a comcast customer. I believe Accordance is limited to iphones atm, but that could expand to Android. Logos allows for Android use. However, I am speaking more about functionality of the big three. Basically, the module I am interested in would be for the purpose of textual study, so it seems from what I am reading that Accordance or Bibleworks would be better for that. Logos seems to focus more on having mega resources (and using mega resources!) and having some good all around scripture study tools. I did download the free Accordance and free Logos, but that seems to just give me an idea of basic layout and functions, and because I don't yet have the module, I can't really get a feel for how it will work in either.

Posted

I think the free Logos desktop and mobile apps are great. Easy to use, nice layout. I use Logos for their monthly free books and occasional dynamic pricing sales on commentaries. But I'm not interested in any of their packages. Too expensive and *way* too much filler. If I had the money (and a decent command of Greek and Hebrew), I'd get BibleWorks. A friend gave me a pirated copy years ago with BDAG and HALOT on it. I loved it but eventually my conscience got the better of me and I uninstalled it. I've never used Accordance--it used to be geared more to Apple users--but I've heard good things about it too. 

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...