rockpond Posted August 13, 2017 Author Posted August 13, 2017 Moderators... we're seeing personal attacks and the thread is derailed. As the originator - I'd ask that you please close it.
rockpond Posted August 13, 2017 Author Posted August 13, 2017 3 hours ago, Robert F. Smith said: Sorry, Tacenda, i though that you said that the Brethren ignored the wishes of the contributors. As to the amounts contributed overall, LDS contribute far more to charity than any other religious group (except perhaps Seventh Day Adventists). That applies to all groups, whether we take the amount given over a period of several years and divide by the number of members of record, or look at the totals given by each Church per capita. The contributions made by LDS include large numbers of service missionaries (who do not proselyte) as well as large cash contributions to non-Mormons -- via Catholic Relief, and other organizations. The anti-Mormon version falsely claims that Mormons do next to nothing, and try to make it appear that others do more. Not so. Christianity is not a zero sum game. I believe Tacenda is working from the church's report that showed humanitarian aid given by the church over the past couple decades amounted to a few dollars per member, per year. The data was posted on the church website. You can argue that it is a good amount for the church to be donating to humanitarian causes and that other things are being done outside of cash donations, but the data provided by the church itself can't really be disputed. I just wanted to clarify what Tacenda was saying. But this is a derail and I've asked the moderators to please close the thread. If you'd like to discuss humanitarian aid, please open a new thread.
Tacenda Posted August 13, 2017 Posted August 13, 2017 4 hours ago, Calm said: Told by whom? Various boards. Here is someone's spreadsheet, their numbers come from LDS resources, I believe. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1H-4jz94kUli0uHGtYsTwmDoqUykiie8ps2gLxls-Usc/edit#gid=0 I believe the church is right when they say donations from members go to Humanitarian efforts, they are where it's at for sure. Just wish the church would donate from it's commercial or for-profit companies' monies.
Meerkat Posted August 13, 2017 Posted August 13, 2017 10 minutes ago, rockpond said: Moderators... we're seeing personal attacks and the thread is derailed. As the originator - I'd ask that you please close it. Rockland, apologies if my tone contributed to any lack of civility. I enjoyed the thread and comments, and will attempt to be more careful in the future. 1
Tacenda Posted August 13, 2017 Posted August 13, 2017 Sorry Rockpond for the constant derails. About church finances, D. Michael Quinn's book is now out. https://www.amazon.com/Mormon-Hierarchy-Wealth-Corporate-Power/dp/1560852356/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1502603440&sr=8-1&keywords=d.+michael+quinn
rockpond Posted August 13, 2017 Author Posted August 13, 2017 5 minutes ago, Tacenda said: Sorry Rockpond for the constant derails. About church finances, D. Michael Quinn's book is now out. https://www.amazon.com/Mormon-Hierarchy-Wealth-Corporate-Power/dp/1560852356/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1502603440&sr=8-1&keywords=d.+michael+quinn Thanks... I just saw something in my Facebook feed today about it being available for kindle (my preferred reading method) for just $9. I bought it immediately. Looking forward to reading it.
thesometimesaint Posted August 13, 2017 Posted August 13, 2017 6 hours ago, Tacenda said: I'm not assuming nothing of the sort, I'm going by what is spent on humanitarian aid. I've been told it's a few dollars per member. So you know better the needs of the Church than its leaders?
Recommended Posts