One Good Thing About Mormons ( Not The Only Thing )

LOSTONE

Last night I went to my weekly Bible study group. Been going there for years and so enjoy it and the people. However, I was insulted twice by 2 different people regarding my support of my wife in her possible breast cancer concerns. Very obvious and direct insults that I have searched my thoughts, but failed to find justifications for. I should have, but have yet to bring this matter up to the group leaders. I let the insults go without noticeable reactions from me, but I was and still very much am hurt by it. As a Christian, I accept better behavior from other Christians and believe I live true to my expectations in my own behaviors.

I am not Mormon. Just something that didn’t work out after my time studying and talking about the Mormon faith. I am a generic run of the mill, nothing special Christian. However... One thing I have always loved about my Mormon friends ( and I have a few good ones ) and about Mormons in general is the strong sense and commitment to family. That blows me away. Family is such a priority and well invested in. So cool. Mormons easily out do non-Morons ( Christians and non-Christians alike ) on commitment to family. If there is one this I have used and will continue to use in defense of Mormons even though I am not one is the fact that Mormons know what family means and how to value family. Better than anyone else I have met in and out of my own faith. Huge plus for the family values. Kind of whish I had that same thing.

I don’t know what I am going to do about these insults last night, but I know I probably need more time to calm down and heal before responding. Family isn’t about blood. It’s about the heart and Mormons seem to understand and value that. Apparently last night 2 members of my own faith didn’t get that memo.

I'm at a loss to see how anyone, of any faith, could be insulting about supporting your wife in her breast cancer concerns. Without knowing the actual context, I would almost have to assume that you misunderstood something about what was said. Is that possible? It can be pretty easy to hear something and assume it was meant in a derogatory way, only to find out (or maybe not find out) that it was meant to be a joke to lighten the mood, or something like that. Still may have been inappropriate and unsuccessful, but not necessarily with malicious intent.

I admire your restraint in not returning evil for evil.  That was the Christian thing to do, but you might want to go ahead and mention it to the group's leaders -- as you have thought might be a good idea.

All of us have made insensitive comments from time to time, and realized our foolishness in retrospect.  So be forgiving.

I'm at a loss to see how anyone, of any faith, could be insulting about supporting your wife in her breast cancer concerns. Without knowing the actual context, I would almost have to assume that you misunderstood something about what was said. Is that possible? It can be pretty easy to hear something and assume it was meant in a derogatory way, only to find out (or maybe not find out) that it was meant to be a joke to lighten the mood, or something like that. Still may have been inappropriate and unsuccessful, but not necessarily with malicious intent.

I did not mistake or misunderstood their remarks. It was a very clear insult towards me without provocation or justification. There are hypocrites and fakes in all religions. None are immune to that reality. So yes, it very possible people would insult others even in the faith. It could also have been a mad moment for this person with no ill intent. I kept that in mind as well as I held back from replying. I will talk to this persona privately and see what their intent was and let them know how I took it. Out of respect to them and the group, this is best to do privately. If that does not bring resolve than I will contact the group leaders.