AndyDnom Posted October 13, 2014 Posted October 13, 2014 some of my ancestors helped blow up the nauvoo expositor. we have their journals and they talk about it
boblloyd91 Posted October 14, 2014 Posted October 14, 2014 I am a descendant of Susanna Stone who was in the Willie-Martin handcart companies. My grandmother's grandmother fell down a well in Cache county, and said at first she was scared then she prayed and fell asleep. When she woke up she was no longer in the well but above ground. 4
LOSTONE Posted October 14, 2014 Posted October 14, 2014 I'm adopted. It's just me and my daughter. My ancestors ( biological family ) are all pasted on. I am making the history for my daughter to tell stories about. Oh save my child, lol 1
saemo Posted October 14, 2014 Posted October 14, 2014 My grandmother's line were Massachusetts colony settlers. One gggggggrandfather was a founder of a town there, a fishing village where my male ancestors were shipwrights. The people from that line who converted to Mormonism, were early converts. One of the men drove the wagon that Brigham Young was riding in when they reached the Salt Lake valley. My mom is the source of that story. Her mother was the granddaughter of this fellow.
cursor Posted October 14, 2014 Posted October 14, 2014 My dad just supplied me with a thumb-drive of my complete (reliable) ancestry (on his side, not my mom's) dating back through the 1,400s.
VideoGameJunkie Posted October 14, 2014 Author Posted October 14, 2014 I love everyone's stories and I'm glad that everyone's been doing geneaology work or had it provided for them.
Walden Posted October 16, 2014 Posted October 16, 2014 Parley P. Pratt is my great-great-great grandfather, through his 10th wife Ann Agatha Walker Pratt, by way of their daughter Malona Pratt. My great grandfather was the church architect who was responsible for designing three temples.
Silhouette Posted October 16, 2014 Posted October 16, 2014 I don't know if this counts as an ancestor story since he is still alive, but my cousin, Eugene (Gene) Carroll is a former President of the Atlanta, Georgia temple. That's about all I've got... We haven't done our genealogy. It's going to be particularly hard on my husbands side because he is Chinese, and everybody's records are in China, and are in Chinese writing rather than letters.
Guest Posted October 18, 2014 Posted October 18, 2014 I don't know if this counts as an ancestor story since he is still alive, but my cousin, Eugene (Gene) Carroll is a former President of the Atlanta, Georgia temple. That's about all I've got... We haven't done our genealogy. It's going to be particularly hard on my husbands side because he is Chinese, and everybody's records are in China, and are in Chinese writing rather than letters.I like the story you information as Atlanta has been the hometown of of my family (both sides) and my wife's for over 200 year, back when it was not called Atlanta, but "Marthasville" and North of town, "Sandy Springs", which it still is and two home places just down the road from the Atlanta are still there. The oldest home place is the oldest standing structure in Fulton County, where the Temple is. So I like your bit of history.
Guest Posted October 18, 2014 Posted October 18, 2014 Now for my wife's cool story, she was doing family history, but her non-member sister is the one on fire with genealogy found a guy on line who was tracing on of her lines. He did so well that he gave my sister-in-law and my wife their family tree (also his) back to the early 1300's, in Whales. When he found out my wife was Mormon he informed she was not the first Mormon in that line. Pam had a great, great great Aunt who converted when she met the first missionaries who came to Georgia. Rumor has it that she became one of Brigham's plural wives (well sealed to him) not sure about being an actual wife. Not sure if (but think so) she was taught by Elder Joseph Standing who was murdered while serving here in Georgia. His Elder Companion who had to prepare his body for burial, was not killed with him, told the men who shot Joseph Standing that they were coward and to shot him as well and seal their fate in hell. He was so forceful that he scared them and they were afraid to kill him as well.That companion of Elder Standing's lived to become President of the 12. Sister Kimball who lived then (no relation to the "Kimball's" as in Spencer) went on to write a book called, "Miracle of the South", that told the story of many miracles and angels visitation here in Georgia that prepared people for the day when missionaries would come and establish the Church here. The oldest standing Church building in Georgia, before it was torn down around 8 years ago, when a new building was built in right down the read from where I live. It has a cemetery next to where it was where members where buried over the last 160 years. The old building had many bullet holes and it sits (no kidding) on "Morman Church Rd. The towns people who did not like "Mormons" did not know the proper spelling. So they named it "Morman".
Silhouette Posted October 18, 2014 Posted October 18, 2014 Now for my wife's cool story, she was doing family history, but her non-member sister is the one on fire with genealogy found a guy on line who was tracing on of her lines. He did so well that he gave my sister-in-law and my wife their family tree (also his) back to the early 1300's, in Whales. When he found out my wife was Mormon he informed she was not the first Mormon in that line. Pam had a great, great great Aunt who converted when she met the first missionaries who came to Georgia. Rumor has it that she became one of Brigham's plural wives (well sealed to him) not sure about being an actual wife. Not sure if (but think so) she was taught by Elder Joseph Standing who was murdered while serving here in Georgia. His Elder Companion who had to prepare his body for burial, was not killed with him, told the men who shot Joseph Standing that they were coward and to shot him as well and seal their fate in hell. He was so forceful that he scared them and they were afraid to kill him as well.That companion of Elder Standing's lived to become President of the 12. Sister Kimball who lived then (no relation to the "Kimball's" as in Spencer) went on to write a book called, "Miracle of the South", that told the story of many miracles and angels visitation here in Georgia that prepared people for the day when missionaries would come and establish the Church here. The oldest standing Church building in Georgia, before it was torn down around 8 years ago, when a new building was built in right down the read from where I live. It has a cemetery next to where it was where members where buried over the last 160 years. The old building had many bullet holes and it sits (no kidding) on "Morman Church Rd. The towns people who did not like "Mormons" did not know the proper spelling. So they named it "Morman".This is fascinating... My parents are originally from the Dudley, Georgia area, but moved to Macon, where I was born and raised. The surnames of Snow and Haskins are on my Mother's side of the family, and on my Dad's side it's Lord. I've just got to get going on my genealogy, and am hoping that this class at our Family History Center will at least give me the basics. But I won't be able to devote all the time to it that I should because of the fact that I'm without a computer. Will have to go across town to the other building during the times it's open and use the computers there.
Guest Posted October 18, 2014 Posted October 18, 2014 This is fascinating... My parents are originally from the Dudley, Georgia area, but moved to Macon, where I was born and raised. The surnames of Snow and Haskins are on my Mother's side of the family, and on my Dad's side it's Lord. I've just got to get going on my genealogy, and am hoping that this class at our Family History Center will at least give me the basics. But I won't be able to devote all the time to it that I should because of the fact that I'm without a computer. Will have to go across town to the other building during the times it's open and use the computers there.You mean "Dublin, GA"...this is about 90 miles down I16 from Macon? There may be a Dudley, when in the Army, I was stationed at Fort Stewart in Savannah, I still do seminars once a year at Dublin, Savannah and Columbus. Columbus is where Fort Benning is; I was stationed there as well. I spent the other four years in West Germany (it is all Germany now, no East and West). I do a lot of seminars around the State, when the back will allow at UGA in Athens and Georgia Tech in Atlanta. Sometime Dalton...Nov 6th in Cartersville. Next year, Chattanooga TN, and ST Augustine FL, also in November. Maybe off topic...I was wondering where we as a Church were headed where we seemed to only want to listen to P.h.D's and so many leaders being P.h.D.'s and the fear that so many thought the highly educated were becoming experts on theology. I was talking about how many early leaders would not be considered qualified as leaders today. All I was doing was pointed out "whom The Lord calls he qualifies". Anyway a brother or posters began to rant about how I was anti-education and was so because I lacked higher education...I decided to let him have his assumptions. Anyway, I list the cities, because I have never heard of Dudley; where is it? Also, great to find another Georgian here...I love Georgia, or it loves me. Not sure which is more true. I have two very good friends who taught me and baptized me in 1979 while serving in Germany, who have P.h.D's in Utah, I have asked "Mormon scholars Testify" to extend them invitations to join, but to my knowledge no invitations has been extended. Oh well...
Silhouette Posted October 18, 2014 Posted October 18, 2014 You mean "Dublin, GA"...this is about 90 miles down I16 from Macon? There may be a Dudley, when in the Army, I was stationed at Fort Stewart in Savannah, I still do seminars once a year at Dublin, Savannah and Columbus. Columbus is where Fort Benning is; I was stationed there as well. I spent the other four years in West Germany (it is all Germany now, no East and West). I do a lot of seminars around the State, when the back will allow at UGA in Athens and Georgia Tech in Atlanta. Sometime Dalton...Nov 6th in Cartersville. Next year, Chattanooga TN, and ST Augustine FL, also in November. Maybe off topic...I was wondering where we as a Church were headed where we seemed to only want to listen to P.h.D's and so many leaders being P.h.D.'s and the fear that so many thought the highly educated were becoming experts on theology. I was talking about how many early leaders would not be considered qualified as leaders today. All I was doing was pointed out "whom The Lord calls he qualifies". Anyway a brother or posters began to rant about how I was anti-education and was so because I lacked higher education...I decided to let him have his assumptions. Anyway, I list the cities, because I have never heard of Dudley; where is it? Also, great to find another Georgian here...I love Georgia, or it loves me. Not sure which is more true. I have two very good friends who taught me and baptized me in 1979 while serving in Germany, who have P.h.D's in Utah, I have asked "Mormon scholars Testify" to extend them invitations to join, but to my knowledge no invitations has been extended. Oh well...Dudley is in Laurens County. I tried to Google it but I can't seem to get much to come up on it that I could see on my small cell phone screen. You might have better luck doing it on your computer. Dudley is a small town. I'm familiar with Dublin, too. Many of my aunts and uncles lived there.My grandfather and uncle were both Primitive Baptist preachers down that way at Trail Branch Primitive Baptist Church. In fact I guess my uncle still preaches there.
WysteriaBlue Posted October 18, 2014 Posted October 18, 2014 Dear PaPa... I don't think that PhD's outrank good common sense and inspiration any more than faith should be dismissed under a cloud of debate over theological origins.I enjoy your posts and sometimes simplicity just plain outranks confusion and obfuscation.I love Georgia as well and lived there for 10 years and it does seem to have it own rythm, delights, joys and grace that are greatly overlooked..Your testaments are strong and wise and you don't need a GPS to find that. most respectfully,wb
Guest Posted October 18, 2014 Posted October 18, 2014 Dear PaPa... I don't think that PhD's outrank good common sense and inspiration any more than faith should be dismissed under a cloud of debate over theological origins.I enjoy your posts and sometimes simplicity just plain outranks confusion and obfuscation.I love Georgia as well and lived there for 10 years and it does seem to have it own rythm, delights, joys and grace that are greatly overlooked..Your testaments are strong and wise and you don't need a GPS to find that. most respectfully,wbThank you...I am blessed to be here in my home State My seminars are a min of 4 hours, my min fee is $200.00 per hour. Georgia Tech pays $400.00 per hour. I feel embarrassed, so I just sign it over to Church or pay it as tithing or fast offering. I am blessed, I am working as an expert witness from home for $200.00 per hour. I feel like I am stealing.
altersteve Posted October 18, 2014 Posted October 18, 2014 One of my ancestors invented the television. I win.
Guest Posted October 18, 2014 Posted October 18, 2014 One of my ancestors invented the television. I win.Yes a Mormon did, and if your ancestor; you totally win! hands down.! I just wish the millions of dollars of land my ancestor owned was not sold for $5000.00 during the depression. "weeping, wailing and gnashing of teeth"!!!!!
Recommended Posts