Anyone Else Having A Problem With This?

Moroni105

So I am new to the forums and have not even set up my profile yet. I thought before doing so, I might start a new topic. Not sure if anyone has already started this yet.

My kids love to visit their cousins down the road and play video games. They also enjoy playing the games with thier older brother also. My wife and I (mostly myself) has tried to limit their access to the video games each day and the type that they play. Their older brother and cousins on the other hand are your typical kids and teenager whom spend as much time as possible playing the games. They also play the games that I would not even play. I am quite certain they would not fall into a category supported by the word of wisdom either. So I have struggled trying to support my feelings about the destructiveness of most of these online and multiplayer style games. My wife and I do not always see eye to eye on them. I know with in my heart the truthfulness behind my feelings and how they are not good in any time limit. Simple games, are not a problem, yet teen and adulted rated are an issue with me. Any support out there?

Thanks

I've been vilified here previously for my stance on video games and pretty much called a bad parent but I'll just tell you my experience.

Have two sons that loved, still love, video games. They attended church every Sunday and blessed the sacrament, one is an Eagle scout, return missionary, is married in the temple and attending university. The second is on his mission currently. They both held part-time jobs while attending high school and after high school to help pay for their missions and college. I have really great sons and therefore have a hard time demonizing video games as is the popular thing to do nowdays.

However, their cousin who was prohibited from playing any of these types of games until he was almost graduated from high school is still a priest, living at home with all of us wondering what he is going to do with the rest of his life.

I don't think video games has anything to do with how they've turned out . If you don't want them to play them then don't let them. I will say this: I always knew where my boys were. They were home or at work!

I don't know that the spirit has confirmed my feelings on video games or not but I don't have many regrets about we raised our sons.

Thank you for your input. I really admire your stance. I suppose my feelings are sprirt felt to a point. I feel dirty inside whenever my teen (19 now with no future) sits and plays the halo games and much of the online multi player xbox games. We have worked to teach him right from wrong, yet I would say he most likely in the same corner as your Nephew. My two younger ones 7 - 11 are interested in playing the games with him and also their cousins. Yet my kids know that they are wrong. That they are rated T and M. Which are not appropriate. They have a hard time getting up and walking out. They want to spend time with their cousins and older brother. We do not allow the game systems in our home because of the evil we feel when they are in our home, especially from the oldest one. Whom now lives with his Grandmother cause he does not like our stance on the games. He plays them all day long before and after school.

I am a bit disturbed however with my nephews. My sister is a primary president and yet will not stand up and teach her own kids what is right and wrong, and there for allows these games with in her home. My feelings are they are against the word of wisdom. As it has been mentioned in many conferance discussions and talks, we have a standard to live by. We are held to a higher standard than non-LDS. The Lord expects more from us. The standards given out for entertainment have been set for our guidence. Of course we have our agency. Yet to receive greater blessings we are asked to follow these standards. For movies we should not watch any rated R, or even most PG13. As it was mentioned to me when learning more about the church, if I would not watch or do it in front of my younger children, I should not do it at all. Same with the games. Rated M - means mature. Profanity, violance, nudity, etc. Why would I want to subject my children to that? What example would I be giving them or message if you will If I allowed them to partake of such degrading material?

I will teach them to serve the Lord, so when they go on their own, they may not faulter. They still have their agency, yet they have a better understanding. Since we homeschool our children through the Kimber Acadamy, here in Virginia (first one on the east coast) it has also taught them excellent moral and uplifting principals that they would never ever recieve in any public institution.

So my question, How to teach the kids of today through the scriptures that these type of materials and entertainment are degrading and not part of Heavenly Fathers plan?

Thanks for your input. Dan