Paloma Posted March 18, 2013 Posted March 18, 2013 (edited) Inspired by David Bokovoy’s classy and erudite post on his Holy Envy re the Atonement, I want to write a simple, experiential and prosaic ode to Mormonism from my own non-Mormon perspective.Why?Because it’s Monday morning … the start of a brand new week!Because it’s the day after St. Patrick’s Day – a time of reflection and joy!Because spring is coming!Because the world has a new Pope in St. Francis (oops, I mean Francis 1), and I already love the man!Because I have been privileged to know some of the loveliest people on earth … my Mormon friends.From a non-LDS Christian perspective, there’s a lot to admire and to wish to emulate in the LDS Church and culture. If I had to summarize my thoughts, they’d probably be encapsulated by these words: friendliness, fun, wholesomeness, conviction, loyalty, sacrifice and dedication.Don’t worry, I’m not going to write a whole long essay and I’m not going to take each of those words above and elaborate on them. But you all know how they fit into your own lives and experience (or, for the sake of those LDS “friends” like me, you’ve seen it in attitude and action in those around you).Here are some of the ways that I see the qualities above:Great value is placed on the Community: Being together; helping and serving each other; learning together; supporting each other in times of trouble; celebrating together in times of joyThere’s a wonderful focus on Family: Here I could use all the same descriptions as above, but add the brilliant concept of the Family Home Evening ritual.For the faithful believing Mormon, there’s a deep love, longing and respect for the person of Jesus Christ. I’ve been privileged to share this love and longing with some of my LDS friends. Despite our differences, we recognize in each other the same heart that’s absolutely bent toward knowing and loving our Saviour. What I especially admire about this conviction in my LDS friends is their putting faith into action.Talking about putting faith into action, LDS folk know how to serve and sacrifice for the sake of their beliefs. Missions undertaken by a myriad of Mormon youth is indicative of a deep commitment to their own faith, obedience to their Church and passion for sharing the gospel with others.Over many years, I’ve seen and experienced friendship, loyalty and commitment with the beautiful LDS friends in my own circle (near and afar).I invite you to elaborate on what you love about your own LDS faith … or about Mormonism, if you’re a non-member like me.But please … let’s keep this altogether positive. There’s a time for everything, and let this be a time for praise. Thanks! Edited March 18, 2013 by Paloma 3
pogi Posted March 18, 2013 Posted March 18, 2013 (edited) Thank you for the kind words!I love that we are encouraged to go out into the world and find truth wherever it may be. It is a spiritual freedom and trust that I greatly appreciate, and it helps me to see the divinity all around me in every walk of life, culture, and faith. Edited March 18, 2013 by pogi 1
Paloma Posted March 18, 2013 Author Posted March 18, 2013 Thank you for the kind words!I love that we are encouraged to go out into the world and find truth wherever it may be. It is a spiritual freedom and trust that I greatly appreciate, and it helps me to see the divinity all around me in every walk of life, culture, and faith.Beautifully stated!
Recommended Posts