Seriously No Politics ×

My Assessment Of The Situation At The Maxwell Institute

Uhhh...Slime? Who here has turned on either MI or BYU? The target of our ire is Bradford, and the "mole" leaking confidential e-mails in violation of both the law and common decency.

The closest you might come is Darren's post #26- which is predicated on the as-yet unresolved notion that MI protects a/o covers for the leaker.

That is correct, selek and I want the Maxwell Institute to clean up this mess and constituted that they do not then I will no longer desire the LDS Church to send money (tithes and other donations) to MI or any other institution which does not bother to regulate itself against those who openly support or sympathize with Mormon apostates.

OK, maybe I was mistaken in thinking that the lamentations by various posters regarding the new direction of the MI were an expression of disagreement with those who are currently determining that direction.

You're shifting the goalposts.

"Disagreement with those determining that direction" is nothing akin to "turning on them".

If your only complaints are with the specific way that Dr. Peterson was treated and the leak of confidential information then I think that's a perfectly defensible position. I personally, however, would like to hear Dr. Bradford's take on why he sent the email while Dr. Peterson was out of the country before making a final judgment. It does look bad, but there may be more to that story, too.
I agree- but Bradford and the Institute itself have also remained sullenly silent while Dan's name was dragged through the mud.

I cannot think of any reason or cause justifying that behavior- nor of looking the other way while private and privileged information was being illegally leaked to third parties for the purposes of smearing Professor Peterson.

Firing someone by email is tasteless and cowardly. Looking the other way while criminal acts are commited (even if you disagree with the target) is unconscionable.

How would you justify these actions?

Edited by selek1

My thanks to BIll Hamblin for this clarification and backstory. I have felt starved for information the past several days. I'm still deeply troubled by the situation, but it is something of a relief not to have to go to the apostate boards in hopes of finding news.

Hear hear.

You're shifting the goalposts.

"Disagreement with those determining that direction" is nothing akin to "turning on them".

I was not trying to shift the goalposts, just to clarify. That was what I had in mind when I wrote the first post. But you're right, "turning on them" is too harsh for what I was really talking about. I apologize for using that term and being unclear the first time around.

I agree- but Bradford and the Institute itself have also remained sullenly silent while Dan's name was dragged through the mud.

I cannot think of any reason or cause justifying that behavior- nor of looking the other way while private and privileged information was being leaked to third parties for the purposes of smearing Professor Peterson.

Can you?

Not really. That's why I said it looks bad.

I'd like updates an any such institution. I've already emailed my parents to foward this link to a person who years ago brilliantly interwove FARMS reseach into Gospel Doctrine class. I remember him a big subscriber to and promoter of FARMS. I'm sure he'll be interested in the current Maxwell insitute development and whatever comes of it.

I am certain this is in the works- not that I have any information at all of course-why would I, - but I think it is clear sense that Dan with his fund raising skills will be able to indeed carry on his work

And I think what you are suggesting is a good idea. The contributors are ultimately the ones who will make the difference.

I am grateful for the courage and strength of the leadership of MI, and the church leadership influencing this.

I have a strong conviction that this is a strategic move instigated from levels way above Gerald Bradford.

Reading Hamblins thoughts gives a frigthening insight into the minds of the current danites

Ever unable to concieve of the tiniest error on their own behaf.

Always pointing fingers at enemies wronging them.

I think a mirror would serve the best aim for an enemy.

I would hope the allegiance of most of the apologists are to the church and not to themselves.

It is one thing to call others to repentance, but it is a harder thing to repent.

I am reminded of the period after the manifestos.

Maby there is something to learn from the Nephites?

I was not trying to shift the goalposts, just to clarify. That was what I had in mind when I wrote the first post. But you're right, "turning on them" is too harsh for what I was really talking about. I apologize for using that term and being unclear the first time around.

No worries. Clarification is good.

Not really. That's why I said it looks bad.

Just for clarification- I would love to find out that this situation is not so dire as we were led to believe, and that Professor Peterson and Bradford have parted friends.

I would love to have it revealed that all parties to this kerfuffle have comported themselves with the honor, dignity, and integrity that is expected to be the hallmark of Latter-day Saints.

But the tide of evidence (most especially, the mole) is rising against that possibility...

I'm not so sure. Was his travels funded in any way by the institute? If it was... then the situation is far more sticky than some people here may want to believe.

You would have a stronger point if he had not been fired by email and otherwise undermined while he was on the other side of the world.

That is correct, selek and I want the Maxwell Institute to clean up this mess and constituted that they do not then I will no longer desire the LDS Church to send money (tithes and other donations) to MI or any other institution which does not bother to regulate itself against those who openly support or sympathize with Mormon apostates.

I think this is a very legitimate point.

Dan CC'd 18 people in his email

Alleged e-mail.

We do not know who actually sent it, when, or how- nor how it might have been altered before being posted to the internet.

Edited by selek1

Isn't that what inquiry's for? To get more information objectively?

Hamblin and Peterson are best friends. Extremely biased. And Hamblin's email makes no mention whether Dan's travels were funded in any way by the NAMI or BYU.

Don't forget that you are hearing Bill Hamblin's side of the story.

And that is our fault? What do you think MI will do about that? You have to admit they have botched it so far.

Just for clarification- I would love to find out that this situation is not so dire as we were led to believe, and that Professor Peterson and Bradford have parted friends.

I would love to have it revealed that all parties to this kerfuffle have comported themselves with the honor, dignity, and integrity that is expected to be the hallmark of Latter-day Saints.

But the tide of evidence (most especially, the mole) is rising against that possibility...

Yeah, I pretty much agree with you. Maybe I am just holding onto an unreasonable hope in the integrity of human nature.

No I am not! :-P

I for one am glad. You are the only one representing the other side- and that is necessary

Several posts are hidden. There is no need for viciousness, mockery, or flaming, especially when directed toward a name. There are other boards who like that. We don't. The good news is that only posts have been removed not posters.