Jump to content
Seriously No Politics ×

Kore Kosmou: A (More) Serious Thread


Recommended Posts

Posted

http://www.mormondia...smou-continued/

That thread was a bit bizarre, ending in an unlikely and overacted denial. Still, now that the claim is out there, I think it wouldn't hurt to show how the contents of the Book of Abraham and the Kore Kosmou are different. In other words, I don't think that the Book of Abraham is at all dependant on the Hermetic text Kore Kosmou.

Despite a few general similarities, there are significant differences between the two, especially with regards to the creation of the souls and their rebellion. I intend on providing a comparison of the two in more detail. This doesn't even go into the difficulties with the idea that Joseph read the Kore Kosmou. Comparing the actual contents should be enough for now.

Posted

The Corpus Hermeticum, of which Kore Kosmou is a part, was found in Greek manuscript (Codex Laurentianus 71.33) in Macedonia in about 1460 by Leonardo da Pistoia. He brought it to Cosimo de'Medici (Cosimo the Elder, then the de facto ruler of Florence, Italy), who had recently recreated the Academy of Plato, and whose wealthy family was the true force behind the Renaissance. Cosimo had the Corpus Hermeticum translated in 1463 by the magus Marsilio Ficino, and it was formally published in 1471, and the Greek published in 1554 (Paris: Turnebus).

Anyone interested in doing serious research in this material is advised to consult the short bibliography which I herewith attach in pdf format.

HERMETICA BIBLIOGRAPHY.pdf

Posted

The Corpus Hermeticum, of which Kore Kosmou is a part, was found in Greek manuscript (Codex Laurentianus 71.33) in Macedonia in about 1460 by Leonardo da Pistoia. He brought it to Cosimo de'Medici (Cosimo the Elder, then the de facto ruler of Florence, Italy), who had recently recreated the Academy of Plato, and whose wealthy family was the true force behind the Renaissance. Cosimo had the Corpus Hermeticum translated in 1463 by the magus Marsilio Ficino, and it was formally published in 1471, and the Greek published in 1554 (Paris: Turnebus).

Anyone interested in doing serious research in this material is advised to consult the short bibliography which I herewith attach in pdf format.

HERMETICA BIBLIOGRAPHY.pdf

Thanks for the bibliography. Have you read Florian Ebelings more recent book? If not, I highly recommend it as a solid overview of hermeticism. Even has a paragraph or two about the Kore Kosmou.

Posted

Thanks for the bibliography. Have you read Florian Ebelings more recent book? If not, I highly recommend it as a solid overview of hermeticism. Even has a paragraph or two about the Kore Kosmou.

No, I haven't, but thanks for the notice. With a translator like David Lorton, and a foreword by the great Jan Assmann, it must be a significant work. I began my study of hermeticism decades ago when my best friend had me read several books by the late Frances A. Yates, one of the greatest scholars of the subject, and a wonderful writer.

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...