Joe Public Lashes Out

Mark Beesley

His pseudo-last-name is "All-gey-er"...? Hahaha

It's a wonder that he didn't select "Richard" as his psuedo-first-name. :P

Speaking seriously: SomeSaint makes a good point.

Daniel2

Actually, he appears to be a real guy. Has a website, http://robertallgeyer.com/

Allgeyer was not a party to the suit, nor did he appear by way of an amicus brief, so I'm kind of curious as to why the Court filed the letter. I don't think there is a rule that compels the filing of every piece of correspondence from every Tom, Dutch and Harry commenting on a particular case.

Edited because apparently you can't say **** on this site. :rolleyes:

Actually, he appears to be a real guy. Has a website, http://robertallgeyer.com/

Allgeyer was not a party to the suit, nor did he appear by way of an amicus brief, so I'm kind of curious as to why the Court filed the letter. I don't think there is a rule that compels the filing of every piece of correspondence from every Tom, Dutch and Harry commenting on a particular case.

Edited because apparently you can't say **** on this site. :rolleyes:

Well color me stunned.

I honestly thought it was a joke.

It was filed with the court......? REALLY..........................??? :blink:

Are you sure someone didn't "mock it up" to make it appear as such?

Daniel2

Well color me stunned.

I honestly thought it was a joke.

It was filed with the court......? REALLY..........................??? :blink:

Are you sure someone didn't "mock it up" to make it appear as such?

Daniel2

I am certain it is legitimate. I pulled it off the Court's website.

I am certain it is legitimate. I pulled it off the Court's website.

Wow. In that case... it takes on a whole new light--and it's far less humorous. Certainly, IMO, an official letter alleging brain damage, inbreeding, hallucinogenic drug-use by the judges, or the recommendation to practice birth control and abortion likely does more harm than good so far as the court considering rationality of Prop 8 supporters.

Daniel2

Wow. In that case... it takes on a whole new light--and it's far less humorous. Certainly, IMO, an official letter alleging brain damage, inbreeding, hallucinogenic drug-use by the judges, or the recommendation to practice birth control and abortion likely does more harm than good so far as the rationality of Prop 8 supporters is concerned.

Daniel2

There are kooks on both sides of every issue.

I'd like to run a little experiment. Would one of the folks who are pleased with the the 9th CCA's decision please write a laudatory letter to the Court that mirrors the letter of Mr. Allgeyer. I'd like to see if it gets filed. :)

Hate to inform, but insults and impugning character isn't a good way to convince anyone that your ideas are right. That the Nineth Circuit Court of Appeals is a Federal Court that can establish precedent until/unless overturned by the Supreme Court of the US.

What's actually very interesting about this letter is that there appears to be a growing perception that not only politicians, but the courts are very much out of touch with reality. I wonder how representative the letter is of a growing "I'm fed up with this" attitude in society.

What's actually very interesting about this letter is that there appears to be a growing perception that not only politicians, but the courts are very much out of touch with reality. I wonder how representative the letter is of a growing "I'm fed up with this" attitude in society.

I'm not sure where this "growing perception" that "the courts are very much out of touch with reality" is. Polls over the last couple of years consistently show that a growing (now-) majority of Americans agree with Perry vs. Brown (that is, that same-sex marriage should be legally recognized). That indicated that as far as this matter is concerned, the courts are reflecting the reality of the majority's opinion.

Daniel2

I'm not sure where this "growing perception" that "the courts are very much out of touch with reality" is. Polls over the last couple of years consistently show that a growing (now-) majority of Americans agree with Perry vs. Brown (that is, that same-sex marriage should be legally recognized). That indicated that as far as this matter is concerned, the courts are reflecting the reality of the majority's opinion.

Daniel2

My point concerned perceptions in general terms, not on just this one issue. Doesn't matter what the issue is; there is a growing perception that the courts are out of touch with reality. This letter appears to me to be just a manifestation of that general trend.

To address your point a little more specifically, I long ago ceased to trust the accuracy of most polls, surveys, studies, and other types of mostly agenda-driven "evidences". I don't think a good portion of the American population thinks particularly deeply about things, so they tend to get easily swayed towards whatever trendy cause is being most loudly promoted. It doesn't really matter whether the "cause" is rational or justifiable; they embrace it because its popular. Shallow sound bites play well with a large number of people.

There are still many - and, despite the polls you quote, very possibly a majority - of people who oppose SSM. Many (not all) do so because of deeply held beliefs, often shaped by their experiences. The bigger issue of what the court did, which was to overturn the express will of the people, mandated during a democratic process, is probably what has many people figuring that the 9th Circuit Court is off somewhere in la-la land.

Hate to inform, but insults and impugning character isn't a good way to convince anyone that your ideas are right. That the Nineth Circuit Court of Appeals is a Federal Court that can establish precedent until/unless overturned by the Supreme Court of the US.

The Ninth is the most often overturned of all the circuit courts. They don't call it "The Notorious Ninth" for nothing. ;)

Archived