Seriously No Politics ×

The Prodigal Son

the children of this world are in their generation wiser than the children of light. ~ Luke 16:8

My husband and I were talking about the parable of the prodigal son - the kids were watching a veggie-tales account of it, and my husband said that the veggie tales account missed one of the most important parts of the parable... in the veggie-tales version the story centers around the "prodigal son" rather than from the point of view of the good son who stays at home and does everything he was supposed to do... my husband at times feels a little like the "good son" in this parable, and commented something about - what about the good son? trying to rationalize feeling unfairly acknowledged etc. etc.

anyways, combo of that and of another previous thread, I wrote up a little expanded parable for those who have time to read it on how I think it might work out... and wanted to know what you thought about the idea that

the children of this world are in their generation wiser than the children of light. ~ Luke 16:8

and this:

to whom little is forgiven, the same loveth little. ~ Luke 7:47

- do you have to sin and be forgiven in order to really learn what love is about?

for those who have grown up in the church rather than in the world, how do you gain genuine knowledge of the world? can you be genuinely humble if you have always led the good life and have never been genuinely humiliated?

for those who have grown up in the world, how do we overcome the stereotypes of being from "the lesser crowd" as some would call it?

parable...

The Prodigal son

A certain man had two sons… The oldest son was a hard-working righteous child who honored his parents and was honored by them in return. Friends and distant relatives praised his noble character and admonished their children to be more like him. He was the subject of praise and envy, of high expectations, trust, and pride.

As time went by, the man was blessed with another son. If you have lived in a family with more than one child, you already know some of the stereotypes which surround both the first born, and the baby of the family. The elder son is blessed with the advantage of age and will always be a little more experienced, wise, and talented than the younger members of the family. The younger members are constantly compared to their older, better, smarter sibling without ever having the ability to quite measure up. And so it was that one day, the younger son in despair asked his Father for his inheritance, and left the home of his birth.

As the younger son traveled through the countryside, he was confronted with something he had never experienced before – praise. He worked hard in the various farms and establishments he came across for board and lodging. Rather than being criticized for not working as well or as hard as his elder brother, he was now appreciated for his work. The younger son came from a well-to-do refined family and this background gave him an advantage in comparison with most of the other vagabonds which roamed the countryside. For the first time in his life the younger son was held in high esteem by those around him.

The younger son loved the praise and appreciation he was now given, but lacked the maturity to wear the mantle that was placed upon his shoulders. The less fortunate gathered around the younger son for help and support, and he helped them in the only way he knew how. He gave away his inheritance rather than scolding them to “work harder” as he had been scolded. He gave them unconditional love as they wanted to be loved rather than distance himself from them as he had been distanced. Some said the younger son wasted his substance with riotous living. The younger son was not trying to be evil though, he was only trying to be close and appreciated by those around him.

We are influenced by, and become like, those we form relationships with. It did not take long for the younger son to become like those in the far country he found himself in. No longer was he the strange novel wealthy tourist. The younger son became a fellow citizen like everyone else. His previous notoriety dimmed and vanished, praise vanished, and his inheritance slipped away. When sickness and famine swept through the far country, the younger brother found himself alone competing with pigs for food.

With gnawing pains in his stomach, the younger brother thought back to the great feasts in the home of his birth. How he yearned for the succulent lamb and tender greens of his parent’s table. I will arise and go to my father, reasoned the younger son, and will say unto him, Father, I have sinned against heaven, and before thee and am no more worthy to be called thy son: make me as one of thy hired servants.

The younger son thought of the kindly servants whom he had grown up with. Unlike his family, the servants had never looked down on him. He realized how much love he had received from his nursemaid, and thought of the many acts of kindness that had been shown to him by all the humble servants. They had been there for him before, and perhaps they would not mind if he was allowed to join with them again. And so it was that the younger son stood up and started walking down the road back to his home – back to the servants which he loved and had loved him.

Twas not a servant, but his father, who first recognized and ran out to greet him as the young son neared the old house though. As a child we see our parents as parents instead of people. In that moment, the younger son started to see his father as a person – a person who had recognized the struggles of the younger son; a person who loved him enough to give him the resources and freedom to go into the world and learn those things that could not be learned at home.

The elder son pouted when the younger was given robe and ring and fatted calf. The elder could not understand the merry music and dancing for the one who has gained wisdom. In the coming years the humble younger son became a treasured friend and confidant among the servants and with his parents. No one felt embarrassed or little around him because he had descended below them all. The younger son listened to others, and when he spoke or gave advice he did so through personal experience rather than merely from a book. And so it was, that although the elder son went on to prosper with fertile fields and cattle, the younger son seemed to always have the most love from those around him.

sorry for the wall of words, but then you are here because you have nothing better to do right? :D

the "good son" in this parable, and commented something about - what about the good son? trying to rationalize feeling unfairly acknowledged etc. etc.

I don't think a truly good son would seek or expect a greater level of acknowledgment (or being) that what is already enjoyed.

I don't think a truly good son would seek or expect a greater level of acknowledgment (or being) that what is already enjoyed.

I agree. there are however benefits in experiencing consequences... for our personal fam, I often think another lesson is that the parents let the prodigal son go - let him walk out the door, let him wallow with the pigs, let him come back of his own accord after learning lessons... (they did not chase him down the street, continue to give him more money when he ran out, did not enable him to live without consequences ;)... it would be hard to watch your own kid outliving with the pigs so to speak, I think of what I would do when my kids grow up... and hope I don't have to experience that... what is being "good" to someone is very subjective and hard to determine at times... is it only after someone has gained knowledge and a change of heart that you can really welcome them back with completely open arms? how much do you give to someone who is going to go spend it on drugs etc. etc.?

Edited by changed

is it only after someone has gained knowledge and a change of heart that you can really welcome them back with completely open arms? how much do you give to someone who is going to go spend it on drugs etc. etc.?

It is a delicate balance to welcome back a repentant prodigal without enabling anything remaining that he did not repent of. It is important that expressions of gratitude and joy are not misinterpreted as permission to sin.

Parents need to be very clear. In the parable, the father said, “For this my son was dead, and is alive again; he was lost, and is found.” This son’s repentance was evidently complete, sincere and convincing. But another father might have to say of a son that displays less conviction or resolve, “For this my son is home, he’s still an addict, but at least we can get him some proper treatment.”

In the parable, gifts are not a conditional reward for the prodigal’s repentance, but an expression of the father’s joy in his return. A repenting addict’s father might be joyous (or experience mixed emotions) of the son’s return, and may throw him a party, but will not give him money for drugs.

As with all things, the Spirit helps us discern the needs of our children and the situations we share.

does the prodigal son have a greater capacity to love after all is said and done?

or is true love shown through obedience... and therefore the "good" son will always have more love?

just sayin... Eve chose to eat the fruit, and then rejoiced in it...

we call it a "transgression" rather than a sin because even though they were told what would happen and "knew better" they had never experienced it before... so they didn't really know... how many things do the "perfect" members of the church not really know? ...

Edited by changed
does the prodigal son have a greater capacity to love after all is said and done?

or is true love shown through obedience... and therefore the "good" son will always have more love?

I've always read Luke 7:47 as a rebuke to his host, not so much as a statement of acquisition of character. I think D&C 88:33 states the principle at hand without the rebuke: "For what doth it profit a man if a gift is bestowed upon him, and he receive not the gift? Behold, he rejoices not in that which is given unto him, neither rejoices in him who is the giver of the gift." Love is not something learned so much as it is a gift given - a change of heart born of the Spirit through the power of the Atonement - and we all have equal access to that gift.

Incidentally, I believe the Church's video of a modern retelling of the parable was correct to rebuke the "good son" in the video for not acknowledging that he too is a prodigal son.

just sayin... Eve chose to eat the fruit, and then rejoiced in it...

we call it a "transgression" rather than a sin because even though they were told what would happen and "knew better" they had never experienced it before... so they didn't really know... how many things do the "perfect" members of the church not really know? ...

The proud/hateful/competitive/contentious see their sins as little, while the humble/loving/united/sharing see their sins a many. This is why “[The humble person’s] sins, which are many, are forgiven; for she loved much: but to [the proud], whom little is forgiven , the same loveth little.”

Incidentally, I believe the Church's video of a modern retelling of the parable was correct to rebuke the "good son" in the video for not acknowledging that he too is a prodigal son.

I have not seen this video, is it online? post a link!

The proud/hateful/competitive/contentious see their sins as little, while the humble/loving/united/sharing see their sins a many. This is why “[The humble person’s] sins, which are many, are forgiven; for she loved much: but to [the proud], whom little is forgiven , the same loveth little.”

so the "little forgiven" is not necessarily an indication of a righteous life, only an unrepentant one?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(Doctrine and Covenants | Section 64:9)

9 .. he that forgiveth not his brother his trespasses standeth condemned before the Lord; for there remaineth in him the greater sin.

refusing to forgive others & see personal faults... they go hand in hand.. it is easier to genuinely forgive others when we honestly see them as being no more evil than ourselves... when we can clearly see the beams and motes...

Edited by changed

so the "little forgiven" is not necessarily an indication of a righteous life, only an unrepentant one?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(Doctrine and Covenants | Section 64:9)

9 .. he that forgiveth not his brother his trespasses standeth condemned before the Lord; for there remaineth in him the greater sin.

refusing to forgive others & see personal faults... they go hand in hand.. it is easier to genuinely forgive others when we honestly see them as being no more evil than ourselves... when we can clearly see the beams and motes...

Yes, because we all sin and have need to repent "until the fulness of the perfect day shall burst upon" us and Lord says we no longer need to. As we progress in the direction God wants us to, the things we uncover to repent of become quite innumerable.