Civility - An Interesting Video

8 members have voted

1. 1. Are you equally Civil & Kind to all people?

• Yes, I am always civil & kind to everyone.
    • No, I have some work to do on that.
    • Civility does not matter.

I saw this video today and it got me thinking about a lot of things. I wonder if we always practice what we preach?

As a Church I think we always do (are), as an individual, not as much as I would like. I think that the anonymity of a keyboard can bring out in private behavior things that you might never see face to face.

I saw this video today and it got me thinking about a lot of things. I wonder if we always practice what we preach?

Thank you for posting this video. I was so impressed by it, I asked my wife to view it as well. She intends to use it in one of her upcoming SS lessons. :good:

Thank you for posting this video. I was so impressed by it, I asked my wife to view it as well. She intends to use it in one of her upcoming SS lessons. :good:

Yep, I was impressed with the video as well. I actually like it when someone challenges me, so I can relate to the video and the lady in it when the director put the homeless man back on the interview. And, I would like to think I would have reacted as humbly as the lady did.

Mark

As a Church I think we always do (are), as an individual, not as much as I would like. I think that the anonymity of a keyboard can bring out in private behavior things that you might never see face to face.

Papa,

No doubt that many do. When I was in small engine ATV performance, we would meet with our customers and retailers at various off road locations around the country several times a year. We all belonged to the same forum. And I will say that some of the people were just as rude and crude when I met them, others just as genuine. But I have found that there wasn’t really a great difference between what people type on a keyboard than what they are in real life. I would say it’s our own perception of what they type and who we THINK they are is the real the difference. When someone types something, we tend to relate that to someone we know or have had experience with. The problem with that is that you never truly understand someone if you don’t have all the input of "one on one" communication gives. Once I got to meet my customers, I found that what they typed was exactly how they were in person. It was my perception that was off.

So how can you tell? I think that men have more feelings then they let on to. We all face tragedy, because we all face it at some point in our lives. When you see a tough guy that can be a little sad on the keyboard once in a while, I think you’ll see a genuine person in life as well. Tough keyboard guys never let you see the real them, and you’ll never see them publish a difficult time they went through. People that do are at one with their real image as well as their keyboard one.

That’s been my experience. But I suppose that can change for every group you are in. I’m sure there is a difference between the motor head group of people and the LDS crowd for example – But I’m not positive there is.

JMHO

Edited by Messenger

Papa,

No doubt that many do. When I was in small engine ATV performance, we would meet with our customers and retailers at various off road locations around the country several times a year. We all belonged to the same forum. And I will say that some of the people were just as rude and crude when I met them, others just as genuine. But I have found that there wasn’t really a great difference between what people type on a keyboard than what they are in real life. I would say it’s our own perception of what they type and who we THINK they are is the real the difference. When someone types something, we tend to relate that to someone we know or have had experience with. The problem with that is that you never truly understand someone if you don’t have all the input of "one on one" communication gives. Once I got to meet my customers, I found that what they typed was exactly how they were in person. It was my perception that was off.

So how can you tell? I think that men have more feelings then they let on to. We all face tragedy, because we all face it at some point in our lives. When you see a tough guy that can be a little sad on the keyboard once in a while, I think you’ll see a genuine person in life as well. Tough keyboard guys never let you see the real them, and you’ll never see them publish a difficult time they went through. People that do are at one with their real image as well as their keyboard one.

That’s been my experience. But I suppose that can change for every group you are in. I’m sure there is a difference between the motor head group of people and the LDS crowd for example – But I’m not positive there is.

JMHO

I often use the absurd to illustrate absurdity. I have come to realize over time that the poster never gets it and it makes me appear rude. So I am seeking to rectify that behavior. At one board I went way overboard to show this absurdity, it just got worse. There were absolutely no moderation or standards of any kind. Their hatred for the church and other members reminds me of a pack of wild dogs, fighting over red meat. Instead of making the owner of the board see what can happen when you have no standards, he just made it his sig line. In real life, I would never do something like that. You cannot fight someone who hates you on their level without being tainted. I will never do that again.

I often use the absurd to illustrate absurdity. I have come to realize over time that the poster never gets it and it makes me appear rude. So I am seeking to rectify that behavior. At one board I went way overboard to show this absurdity, it just got worse. There were absolutely no moderation or standards of any kind. Their hatred for the church and other members reminds me of a pack of wild dogs, fighting over red meat. Instead of making the owner of the board see what can happen when you have no standards, he just made it his sig line. In real life, I would never do something like that. You cannot fight someone who hates you on their level without being tainted. I will never do that again.

I get it. I guess it’s a question of defense, or rather how we defend ourselves, or our beliefs. How do we defend in a civil and kind way? Do we react based on what we think of a person? Do we base our reactions on what we really know about the individual? If we do not, do we need a defense?

The lady in the video was concerned that this homeless man, who had nothing, was going to take her bike. That's an assumption based on him being homeless and not having very much. But that's not a character judgment. How do we properly judge character? I guess the point of the video is to judge on open communication rather than assumptions or our own gut feelings.

We don’t get all the signals that people would put off in real life on a forum? For example, starting at 2:10 in the video, the homeless man talks, then look at the reaction of Arabelle - genuine sorrow. You can see in her face that she feels sorry for her incorrect reaction. That’s something that we would never see on a forum. Perhaps the Homeless man is the perfect example of how we interact, how we teach, in a civil way without reacting. He says, "it doesn’t cost one penny to be polite" - and "there are more ways to be good than bad". These are Civil and kind words, from a man who has nothing, teaching Arabelle starring in a video about being kind and civil. Obviously he has more than we think.

Being kind and civil: Its a skill, that I have not mastered by any means. Although I have made progress, I have a long way to go. Perhaps we all do in some degree. What I have noticed is that we have a lot of assumptions about people, ADHD, Divorce, The Inactive, Converts, and more. For me, I realize that I am an example (good or bad) in these areas. It’s quite humbling actually. To let people know that the stigma of a person's situation does not cast them to any particular character set. We are all individuals regardless of our situation.

Edited by Messenger