Garden Of Eden In Missorri?

I was having a conversation with a non member friend. We were commenting on world events and how Christs return may be coming to too long from now. I told her about what events have to take place, before the Millennium, and I told her, according to what we believe, some of the prophecies have not happened yet and they have to happen before He comes again. I jokingly said, when you see Mormons suddenly migrating to MO in droves THEN start to worry! LOL She asked me why MO? I said among other things that's where the Garden Of Eden was...well that threw he for a loop because she says the Bible distinctly says the middle east and the Garden was by two rivers mentioned by name. Well...I'm no scripture scholar, so all I could think of to say, was that was given in revelation to Joseph Smith. but I wasn't sure what else to say.

Could anyone help me out here in more detail? Thanks!

Red

The two rivers mentioned don't have a common source, nor do they match geographically with the biblical description. Of course an argument can be made that the flood changed everything around... :aggressive:

Joseph said that Jackson County was the place of the Garden of Eden, however that is not scripture and therefore not doctrinal. I don't believe it was ever physically true, either. Spiritually, yes.

OTOH, the revelations that the Saints were to buy property there, that it is the site of the New Jerusalem, is scriptural.

Joseph also said that Adam & Eve, after (100's of years after) they were cast from Eden, built an altar at Adam-ondi-Ahman. This is found in the D&C, so it is scriptural.

HiJolly

I was having a conversation with a non member friend. We were commenting on world events and how Christs return may be coming to too long from now. I told her about what events have to take place, before the Millennium, and I told her, according to what we believe, some of the prophecies have not happened yet and they have to happen before He comes again. I jokingly said, when you see Mormons suddenly migrating to MO in droves THEN start to worry! LOL She asked me why MO? I said among other things that's where the Garden Of Eden was...well that threw he for a loop because she says the Bible distinctly says the middle east and the Garden was by two rivers mentioned by name. Well...I'm no scripture scholar, so all I could think of to say, was that was given in revelation to Joseph Smith. but I wasn't sure what else to say.

Could anyone help me out here in more detail? Thanks!

Red

Maybe this will help, if I read you correctly. Every State in the Union has a Springfield. My home town of Atlanta is in many States, but when you say Atlanta people think you speak of GA because it is the most well known. Following the flood and the changes in the earth, Noah would have no idea where he was at, so he would named rivers that he found with the same names of rivers from his home. Just like people would rename new towns after the old ones they came from. If there was a world wide flood then the earth would never be the same. At one time all dry earth was one land mass.

Noah had traveled for a year, a considerable distance from anywhere near the lands by Eden, unless you think Noah spent a year floating in a single spot. The original Tigris and Euphrates rivers the Bible described was said to have a common source, which the current rivers do not.

Joseph Smith did not reveal to us that Eden was in Jackson County, Missouri, he said it is where a place he named Adam-ondhi-Ahman is.

What Joseph Smith taught was that Adam just prior to his death, had a meeting with his posterity at a place designated as "Adam-ondhi-Ahman." (D&C 107:53)

Later, Joseph Smith said that an event spoken of by Prophet Daniel would occur in Jackson County, Missouri, the area was at that moment renamed "Adam-ondi-Ahman" because, said he, it is the place where Adam shall come to visit his people again for another meeting with his posterity. (D&C, 116:1)

Because of the reference of Adam's mortal and immortal presence at a place that are both called Adam-Ondi-Ahman have led most Latter-day Saints to conclude they are one and the same, and merely by extension, they also assume that Garden of Eden must likewise be somewhere near by.

The claim to the location of the Garden of Eden is not an official doctrine of the church, such a claim has not been canonized, members are not bound to believe unofficial doctrine. It seems likely Joseph was the source of the idea (or, at the very least, they perceived this to be what Joseph had told them). We have no contemporaneous record of Joseph Smith teaching explicitly that the Garden of Eden was in Missouri. Though it is consistent with Latter-day Saint lore.

Among Latter-day Saints, there is a variety of lore for this issue. The theory Noah traveled from the somewhere in the Americas and then arrived at Ararat is very satisfying for most people's dogma demands.

Edit: In the Book of Revelation (Revelation 11:1-13), the two witnesses are prophets who will be calling down Moses plagues, who are then murdered by the anti-Christ and then Christ will come three days later to raise them from the dead. So, if you are a member and hear 2 leaders of the church getting killed, you might have 3 days. Even non-members should consider it, since there are not many other would-be latter-day prophets that I am aware of.

Edited by Ray Callis Hatton III