Seriously No Politics ×

Law & Economics / The Law Of Consecration

Biz

I am entering the final year in a duel JD/MBA program. This fall I will be taking a Law and Economic seminar class. As part of the class I will be writing a 20-30 page paper on a topic related to the law and economics. I attend a religious school and would likely be able to write on a religious law and economics topic should I choose to do so. With that said I am interested in researching economics in relation to the, “law of consecration” as explained in the D&C, BofC, other LDS sources and other utopian societies.

It is likely that I will not write my paper specifically on that topic. However, I will be devoting a lot of time in researching and writing about economics and I figure it will be a great time study this intriguing concept.

With that said, the point of my post is threefold:

1) I am asking for any suggestions on reading material that would help me learn more about the “law of consecration” as it pertains to the LDS Church and its future implementation.,

2) Should you be a legal or economic minded scholar or self pronounced scholar any suggestions for a interesting law & economic topic to research and write about, or any books you have enjoyed reading on economics in general.,

3) Opening this thread to any thoughts or theories about how the “law of consecration” would actually be practiced.

I recognize this post both belongs in the Social Hall and the General Topic area, should you (moderator) feel it is best suited in the Social Hall feel free to remove it there.

Thanks, Biz

I am entering the final year in a duel JD/MBA program. This fall I will be taking a Law and Economic seminar class. As part of the class I will be writing a 20-30 page paper on a topic related to the law and economics. I attend a religious school and would likely be able to write on a religious law and economics topic should I choose to do so. With that said I am interested in researching economics in relation to the, “law of consecration” as explained in the D&C, BofC, other LDS sources and other utopian societies.

It is likely that I will not write my paper specifically on that topic. However, I will be devoting a lot of time in researching and writing about economics and I figure it will be a great time study this intriguing concept.

With that said, the point of my post is threefold:

1) I am asking for any suggestions on reading material that would help me learn more about the “law of consecration” as it pertains to the LDS Church and its future implementation.,

2) Should you be a legal or economic minded scholar or self pronounced scholar any suggestions for a interesting law & economic topic to research and write about, or any books you have enjoyed reading on economics in general.,

3) Opening this thread to any thoughts or theories about how the “law of consecration” would actually be practiced.

I recognize this post both belongs in the Social Hall and the General Topic area, should you (moderator) feel it is best suited in the Social Hall feel free to remove it there.

Thanks, Biz

If I remember correctly this is one of Brant Gardner's favorite topics.

Leonard J. Arrington, Feramorz Y. Fox, and Dean L. May, Building the City of God: Community and Cooperation among the Mormons (University of Illinois Press, 1992).

Superb book. Arrington was an historian of economics, he knew his stuff. Another good book is Andrus' "Doctrines of the Kingdom," where a good portion of the chapters have to do with the United Order and building Zion.

Archived