Seriously No Politics ×

LDS Druids and Peacemaking

Nathair/|\

From my LDS Druid blog.

One of the things ancient Druids were known for was their ability to make peace. They were so respected in this role that they could walk between two opposing armies and the battle would completely stop.

There are several groups in the world today who have no business fighting each other. ;They have bigger problems to worry about and would be significantly better off if they could get along. I am thinking specifically of the Catholics and Protestants in Northern Ireland, the Sunnis and Shiites in Iraq, and the Palestinians and Israelis in the Near East as well as many others.

As Latter-Day Saints, we don't need to take sides in any of these conflicts, We have reason in our traditions to support both sides and encourage them to get along.

So, it seems to me that LDS Druids could play a valuable role in stopping the pointless fighting, smacking the various parties upside their collective heads where necessary and getting them to sit down and work things out so they can get along.

Yours under the synergistic oaks

Nathair /|\

From my LDS Druid blog.

One of the things ancient Druids were known for was their ability to make peace. They were so respected in this role that they could walk between two opposing armies and the battle would completely stop.

There are several groups in the world today who have no business fighting each other. ;They have bigger problems to worry about and would be significantly better off if they could get along. I am thinking specifically of the Catholics and Protestants in Northern Ireland, the Sunnis and Shiites in Iraq, and the Palestinians and Israelis in the Near East as well as many others.

As Latter-Day Saints, we don't need to take sides in any of these conflicts, We have reason in our traditions to support both sides and encourage them to get along.

So, it seems to me that LDS Druids could play a valuable role in stopping the pointless fighting, smacking the various parties upside their collective heads where necessary and getting them to sit down and work things out so they can get along.

Yours under the synergistic oaks

Nathair /|\

I agree with everything except Palestine/Israel, Israel has consistently sued for peace while Palestine has continued a campaign of murder and terror to undermine and attempt to destroy Israel.

Israel never seeks war, she seeks peace, but will not stand idol while her sons and daughters are murdered by terrorists. You stir the beehive and you going to get stung.

Where is there a place in "our tradition" for the kind of utter, unreflective moral relativsm that forms the basis of the main presmis of this thread? Those who cannot discern a moral differentiation within the historical conflict between the Israelis and the "Palestinians" respecting the relative claims of both sides, or who see the IRA as just one relative side in a big, unfortunate misunderstanding, in my view have no moral tradition of any particular value to begin with.

Nor is the really vast naitivity required to believe that such conflicts as the Israeli/Palestinian problem are a peripheral diversion from the "real" problems at hand much to be taken seriously.

• 2 weeks later...

Where is there a place in "our tradition" for the kind of utter, unreflective moral relativsm that forms the basis of the main presmis of this thread? Those who cannot discern a moral differentiation within the historical conflict between the Israelis and the "Palestinians" respecting the relative claims of both sides, or who see the IRA as just one relative side in a big, unfortunate misunderstanding, in my view have no moral tradition of any particular value to begin with.

Nor is the really vast naitivity required to believe that such conflicts as the Israeli/Palestinian problem are a peripheral diversion from the "real" problems at hand much to be taken seriously.

Advocating for peace is hardly an example of "unreflective moral relativism." And though I support Israel's right to exist, it is naive and simplistic to think that they are completely innocent of wrongdoing while the Palestinians are all terrorists. Their relationship with each other, as well as the moral issues, are actually far more complex than that.

As Latter-day Saints and Christians, we have a responsibility to be peacemakers, and I applaud Nathair's desire in that direction.

Ok you guys, no arguing on this thread!

Cheesh, can't we all just get along? :P

And what's this about Droopy being out(ed) for Blood?

Archived