mfbukowski Posted March 4, 2011 Posted March 4, 2011 Several people did....You can't just take the part that is convenient to try to make the claim and ignore the following verses that do not support your claim.If you are trying to pick a fight I suppose I could give you one, but trust me, it's not worth it.If you want a protracted debate on references to the temple in Catholic practice and in the Bible, I am ready, but give me a break- it will take a week out of both of our lives, and I suspect that you have not memorized the endowment and would not even catch most of the references I would give you anyway. You would also have to know a lot about Catholic practice- and how the mass was celebrated historically to "get" it. The endowment is not linear- yes, it proceeds in time, but it also symbolically presents itself "vertically" which each element containing the whole by symbolic reference. If you see it as a linear presentation, you are not getting it.It is like a hologram, or Mandelbrot set, where even a small section can be seen as reproducing the whole. It is not of man.And besides all that, I could not talk about most of the things I would want to say because I have promised not to.All I ever said was that women veil their heads in the temple.That's pretty much all anybody else said as well.If you want to blow it out of proportion, that is up to you.
BookofMormonLuvr Posted March 4, 2011 Posted March 4, 2011 If you are trying to pick a fight I suppose I could give you one, but trust me, it's not worth it.If you want a protracted debate on references to the temple in Catholic practice and in the Bible, I am ready, but give me a break- it will take a week out of both of our lives, and I suspect that you have not memorized the endowment and would not even catch most of the references I would give you anyway. You would also have to know a lot about Catholic practice- and how the mass was celebrated historically to "get" it. The endowment is not linear- yes, it proceeds in time, but it also symbolically presents itself "vertically" which each element containing the whole by symbolic reference. If you see it as a linear presentation, you are not getting it.It is like a hologram, or Mandelbrot set, where even a small section can be seen as reproducing the whole. It is not of man.And besides all that, I could not talk about most of the things I would want to say because I have promised not to.All I ever said was that women veil their heads in the temple.That's pretty much all anybody else said as well.If you want to blow it out of proportion, that is up to you.Holy Overreaction, Batman!All I was saying is that if you want to find LDS Temple imagery in Paul's mandate for women to cover their heads, you must address the fact the he also, in his same mandate, instructs men NOT to cover their heads- which LDS men do when going through the Endowment Ceremony. You can't say, "Aha, see here, proof for our Temple observance, Just ignore the rest of the chapter."
bluebell Posted March 4, 2011 Posted March 4, 2011 Several people did....My words, which you quoted, had nothing to do with comparing what Paul said to LDS temple worship. I was explaining why some posters said that LDS women don't cover their heads and why others said that they do.
mfbukowski Posted March 4, 2011 Posted March 4, 2011 Holy Overreaction, Batman!All I was saying is that if you want to find LDS Temple imagery in Paul's mandate for women to cover their heads, you must address the fact the he also, in his same mandate, instructs men NOT to cover their heads- which LDS men do when going through the Endowment Ceremony. You can't say, "Aha, see here, proof for our Temple observance, Just ignore the rest of the chapter."Which, for the third time, no one did.
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.