Who was the last to hold the Sealing keys?

mercyngrace

Elijah restored the sealing keys but Nephi (3rd Nephi) held those keys after him, right? Then we have John and the three Nephites who may have held them also after Elijah.

Also, if the Mt. of Transfiguration was when Peter received the keys (which I've heard but can't source), why is Elijah the one who restores these keys?

I get that prophecy puts Elijah at the center of this (Malachi) but the qestion is why him? If he wasn't really the last one who held the keys, why was he the one who had to restore them?

Could Elijah be an office? like Elias?

Where it does it say that Nephi was given the sealing keys? There's a difference between the sealing keys and the sealing power. For example, Temple sealers have been delegated the power, but do not hold the keys.

Thanks for pointing that out!

How about Peter? Did he not get those keys? We know from Paul's writings that people were being baptized for the dead during the times of the early church. Did they not marry eternally? Why the clarification about marriage by the Savior in Matt 19, then?

Was Peter a prophet without keys?

(guess you know what I'm researching in the scriptures today... :P

Thanks for pointing that out!

How about Peter? Did he not get those keys? We know from Paul's writings that people were being baptized for the dead during the times of the early church. Did they not marry eternally? Why the clarification about marriage by the Savior in Matt 19, then?

Was Peter a prophet without keys?

(guess you know what I'm researching in the scriptures today... :P

Well, we do have specific scriptures stating that Peter was a steward of such keys.

Matthew 16: 19 "And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven."

We're not told what happened to the keys after the death of the apostles and translation of John. Perhaps they were delegated to Elijah for the Restoration Mission so that the significance of what was being transferred would be understood. I think it's very possible that the original Malachi scriptures didn't have anything initially to do with Temple Work and the Sealing Power, but were used and re contextualized as an existing scriptural teaching tool (like much of the JST did), and Elijah was granted the mission to fulfill this newly inspired understanding and version of the Scripture, as well as to add continuity and understanding for the early Saints with the Mount of Transfiguration experience.

Well, we do have specific scriptures stating that Peter was a steward of such keys.

Matthew 16: 19 "And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven."

We're not told what happened to the keys after the death of the apostles and translation of John. Perhaps they were granted to Elijah so that the significance would be understood. I think it's very possible that the original Malachi scriptures didn't have anything initially to do with Temple Work and the Sealing Power, but were used and re contextualized as a, existing scriptural teaching tool (like much of the JST did), and Elijah was granted the mission to fulfill this newly inspired understanding and version of the Scripture, as well as to add continuity and understanding for the early Saints with the Mount of Transfiguration experience.

So the last known possessor of the keys is Peter. Why Elijah restores them, we don't know.

Elijah restored the sealing keys but Nephi (3rd Nephi) held those keys after him, right? Then we have John and the three Nephites who may have held them also after Elijah.

Also, if the Mt. of Transfiguration was when Peter received the keys (which I've heard but can't source), why is Elijah the one who restores these keys?

I get that prophecy puts Elijah at the center of this (Malachi) but the qestion is why him? If he wasn't really the last one who held the keys, why was he the one who had to restore them?

Could Elijah be an office? like Elias?

Elijah did more than just restore the keys, which many other prophets could have done, if appointed.

The work of Elijah was (and still is) to turn the hearts of fathers to their children, and children to their fathers, which involves more than just giving someone the keys of authority necessary for the related ordinances.

And btw, Elijah did (and still does) that among people who aren't members of our Church, too. I don't know how he does it, exactly, but the thoughts that turn our hearts to them and them to us are present throughout most of the world now in people both in and outside of the Church.

Elijah and moses were both translated from humam exsistance for a reason. :P

Something I read today and I don't remember where or even if it was an LDS source said that Moses and Elijah appeared on the Mt. of transfiguration to bear witness of the law (Moses) and the Prophets (Elijah). As Christians we could take their presence on them mount as a testament that all the law and the prophets bear witness that Jesus is the Messiah.

Still I think these kinds of questions are fascinating because we could ask "Why not Abraham? or Isaiah?" What was it about these particular prophets and their ministries that placed certain responsibilities or keys in their hands?"

Still I think these kinds of questions are fascinating because we could ask "Why not Abraham? or Isaiah?" What was it about these particular prophets and their ministries that placed certain responsibilities or keys in their hands?"

Perhaps...

Moses ushered in the law. And his writings were called as such by the Jews.

According to Jewish and most Christian thought, Elijah ended the section of the OT referred to as "the prophets."

So the law (first five OT books) and the prophets (the last OT book) serve an OT function similar in nature to greek Alpha and Omega.

Edit: (added) Ooops - that appears to be what you've already said here.

As Christians we could take their presence on them mount as a testament that all the law and the prophets bear witness that Jesus is the Messiah.

Gee, I sure wax brilliant whenever I unwittingly paraphrase some of your comments...

hmmm...

LDS scholar Sidney B. Sperry wrote of the broader view of the power of Elijah.

"The mission of Elijah has to do with the higher spiritual functions of the gospel of Jesus Christ.
Elijah was the last prophet to hold the keys of the sealing powers of the priesthood
- that is, to seal in heaven what is bound upon earth.

http://www.ldschurchnews.com/articles/20083/Spirit-of-Elijah---a-fullness-of-priesthood.html

Elijah, by the power of God, opened the heavens again that rain fell to break the famine. This sealing power is characteristic of the prophets of God who hold full divine authority.

Jesus promised this sealing power to Peter and said:

hmmm...

LDS scholar Sidney B. Sperry wrote of the broader view of the power of Elijah.

"The mission of Elijah has to do with the higher spiritual functions of the gospel of Jesus Christ.
Elijah was the last prophet to hold the keys of the sealing powers of the priesthood
- that is, to seal in heaven what is bound upon earth.

http://www.ldschurchnews.com/articles/20083/Spirit-of-Elijah---a-fullness-of-priesthood.html

No mention of Peter...

It's odd, eh? My husband and I were discussing the fact that we'd remembered reading/hearing this very sentiment - that Elijah was the last to hold the sealing keys - and it didn't make sense because of Nephi and Peter.

nackhadlow pointed out that the word "keys" doesn't appear in the Nephi account. I don't take that to mean he didn't have them, merely that we don't know for sure. About Peter, OTOH, it's very clearly stated that he had the keys to bind and loose. So I decided to put some research into it and knew someone here would likely already have some ideas, hence the OP.

Elijah the Last Prophet to Hold Keys of Adamic Sacrifice

We frequently have mention made of the offering of Sacrifice by the servants of the most high in antient days prior to the law of moses, which ordinances will be continued when the priesthood is restored with all its authority power and blessings.
Elijah was the last prophet that held the keys of this priesthood
, and who will, before the last dispensation, restore the authority and delive the Keys of this priesthood in order that all the ordinances may be attended to in righteousness.

(Joseph Smith)

http://www.boap.org/LDS/Parallel/1840/5Oct40.html

Elijah the Last Prophet to Hold Keys of Adamic Sacrifice

We frequently have mention made of the offering of Sacrifice by the servants of the most high in antient days prior to the law of moses, which ordinances will be continued when the priesthood is restored with all its authority power and blessings.
Elijah was the last prophet that held the keys of this priesthood
, and who will, before the last dispensation, restore the authority and delive the Keys of this priesthood in order that all the ordinances may be attended to in righteousness.

(Joseph Smith)

http://www.boap.org/LDS/Parallel/1840/5Oct40.html

Seems the answer I was looking for comes a few sentneces down from the quote you linked:

Archived